Gator Hole on High Island

Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Gator Hole on High Island

Post by Phishtech »

Read a remark recently from someone on TFK about what a hot fishing spot the Gator Hole on High Island is. Can anyone please point me in that direction or tell me the approximate location? Sounds like a good spot for Fall fishing. Thanks. Can't find it on Google Earth.
treysdaddy

Re: Gator Hole on High Island

Post by treysdaddy »

The general area is located 5 or 6 miles down McFaddin beach. I haven't heard of anyone going that far down in quite a while. I never fished there, but I know that Mythman, Bigfost, TJ and many others used to fish there quite a bit right before I got into BTB fishing. I remember their reports. This would have been pre 2007. Posting this question on the BTB board will get more response.
Something to note is that there are many sights that you can't un-see on the way to this area. Maybe during the fall, cooler temps will keep everyone clothed.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

treysdaddy wrote:The general area is located 5 or 6 miles down McFaddin beach. I haven't heard of anyone going that far down in quite a while. I never fished there, but I know that Mythman, Bigfost, TJ and many others used to fish there quite a bit right before I got into BTB fishing. I remember their reports. This would have been pre 2007. Posting this question on the BTB board will get more response.
Something to note is that there are many sights that you can't un-see on the way to this area. Maybe during the fall, cooler temps will keep everyone clothed.
that's a really nice way to put that.
SkunkKing

Post by SkunkKing »

Maybe this was a subtle way of asking how far down the nudie end is lol jk!
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Something to note is that there are many sights that you can't un-see
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

I've really got to get out more :shock:
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Shadowman wrote:I've really got to get out more :shock:
Nope, I recommend this as something to take off your bucket list. Stay in....stay in and close your blinds.....sheild your eyes. DO NOT GO OUT!
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

SkunkKing wrote:Maybe this was a subtle way of asking how far down the nudie end is lol jk!
Come on now, this is an honest question about a fishing location. When I was younger I looked at a few of those nudist magazines and I found out fast that most people look better with clothes on, including me, I don't even like looking at myself in the mirror anymore (at my age).

Now that I know about where it is, will it take a 4x4 to get there? Thanks
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Answered your PM.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

cliftonio wrote:
Nope, I recommend this as something to take off your bucket list. Stay in....stay in and close your blinds.....sheild your eyes. DO NOT GO OUT!

Point taken. I'm guessing hippy hollow circa 1976?
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Shadowman wrote: Point taken. I'm guessing hippy hollow circa 1976?
These people were already old in 1976! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Shadowman wrote:
cliftonio wrote:

Point taken. I'm guessing hippy hollow circa 1976?
it's the same people from hippy hollow only 40 years older. One positive about that, from a distance it looks like it's all women...

Last time I drove down there a 4WD wasn't necessary, but that was about four years ago. MM will have the most current data.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I have only been that way 1 time since Hurricane Ike. Ike changed everything there, as it did a lot of places. Finding the exact place was/is difficult as some of the trees that sort of marked the Gator Hole spot are gone. If you can find the canal that runs from the beach to the North into the refugee property, you are there.

People who fish the area know that once past the McFaddin sign, the fishing is good to excellent all the way to Sea Rim and the farther East you go, the better. Probably because of the lack of fishermen that are willing to travel that bumpy road to go East.

At times only a 4x4 will do and I guess at times a 2WD will do................you take your chances.

It isn't a paradise............or I would fish there more. But because of it's mystic, it draws adventurer's! :wink:
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

I was scouting just past McFaddin about a month ago looking for the BTB group but they were already at DP and the weed was a mess and the remaining trail on the beach is tore up and narrow and people tend to like to park on it giving you no road to roll on. There is a trail behind the minimal dunes but that is off limits (read FINE ). Luckily i didn't go far enough to spot any "weathered mullet"

Short answer is it is 2wd possible (low tide, smart driving, low tire Pres etc.) but I would reocmmend not only 4wd but all the rescue kit (boards, tow strap, buckets, shove and compressor) if you want to go much farther thna the McFaddin sign.
planohog

Post by planohog »

Another person to check with is Jolly Roger , Not sure if he is on here or not , but he is on 2coolfishing . He once gave me a very detailed text version of what you will find down there, some time 2006. I can tell you one thing , do not drive in the water, there is a mud down there, if you
break through the crust your done. My adventures there were pre IKE and last time during late summer, the skitters were so bad, i couldnt get out
of the truck in the daylight. Wife found some great shells down there, early morning not to much on the nudes. drive fast, you dont wanna see it.
There was a red-fish tourney down there once , I recall it was 37 F down there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6CSEoZ1Jt4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;