Importance of VHF radio....?

yakbo8907

Importance of VHF radio....?

Post by yakbo8907 »

I'm new to BTB fishing and have a serious question about carrying a radio with me while doing so. How many of you carry OR DO NOT carry a radio while out on the water? Thanks for the input.
lildave40

Re: Importance of VHF radio....?

Post by lildave40 »

If you ask me a marine grade VHF radio is very important. There are too many things that can happen that you need to Either contact the coast guard or a friend for help. But that is just me. Also, I love getting weather bulletins on the water.
treysdaddy

Post by treysdaddy »

The safety benefits stand alone and should be convincing enough. The entertainment factor of having one is great, too. It's fun to talk to others every now and then on the water. When it is really fun is when you start hearing "fish on" all over the place.
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by hookdem »

Very important if you venture off beyond cellular range. And even if in range a wet cellphone is useless. Save that $300 iphone and buy a $100 waterproof vhf. There are several stories of guys that have needed their VHF here on the forum, hopefully you'll dig some up and see their real life testimony as proof enough.

How important is the whistle you never use?
Or that hot life jacket that you've probably never needed?

When it's needed is when you'll see the importance. Everything else is just extra.

Now if you are talking about fishing a couple hundred yards off the beach then...that's different.
Johninaustin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johninaustin »

I carry a radio, cell phone, GPS, and a SPOT transmitter. Yeps, it's that important. :wink:

BTW the SPOT is just over a hundred bucks at Cabelas.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I think I carry a VHF radio for safety, but to be honest, in 8 years I have never requested help from someone else or the Coast Guard.

But I do communicate with other kayakers both on the water and on land.......I enjoy that!
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Very good question. I would rather see you invest in a professional PFD before a VHF radio. If you are fishing with a group it is not necessary. I agree with Mythman, more entertainment than safety..... as long as somebody has a radio or a cell signal.
Flats stalker

Post by Flats stalker »

hookdem wrote:Very important if you venture off beyond cellular range. And even if in range a wet cellphone is useless. Save that $300 iphone and buy a $100 waterproof vhf. There are several stories of guys that have needed their VHF here on the forum, hopefully you'll dig some up and see their real life testimony as proof enough.

How important is the whistle you never use?
Or that hot life jacket that you've probably never needed?

When it's needed is when you'll see the importance. Everything else is just extra.

Now if you are talking about fishing a couple hundred yards off the beach then...that's different.
Well said....
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

LOOKN4REDS wrote:Very good question. I would rather see you invest in a professional PFD before a VHF radio. If you are fishing with a group it is not necessary. I agree with Mythman, more entertainment than safety..... as long as somebody has a radio or a cell signal.
Groups tend to spread wide to not bother others or x their lines. I would strongly recommend each person in the group to carry one cuz you can disappear from sight or be too far from each other to alert of an emergency.

Offshore fishing means pfd, VHF, cell, gps/compass.

If I don't have one of those I don't go!

Bay fishing I can live without the VHF and compass for the most time.
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

Very important for offshore fishing IMO. Also depends on location. For instance at the MP rigs u usually can get cell signal . At PINS u ually do not. Getting weather updates, comm/ chatting /cuttin up with your party, call for help if someone needs it to
either your party or coast gaurd, listen to ship chatter when its slow or anchor. I swill scanthe channels when im not on fish.
Impotant yeah. Not a must for everyone but it is for me ;-) I want to be able to comm with others and b able to call for help if we really need it. If your going offshore I advise u invest in one.
Gijpaul

Post by Gijpaul »

http://youtu.be/N3WeXGmqYsE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Saturday, Wouldn't be nice to have a radio if this happened to you?

LOL.... Bahhhahahahahahahahahah
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

treysdaddy wrote:The safety benefits stand alone and should be convincing enough. The entertainment factor of having one is great, too. It's fun to talk to others every now and then on the water. When it is really fun is when you start hearing "fish on" all over the place.
Right!
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

I have not gotten one get but I plan on it for sure. Mostly so I can ask another talker "hey come get a pic of me plz" but I think if u go with a large group and majority Jane a VHF and u r semi close to the pack you are good. It's all about ratio. I haven't been more than a mile out but ill get one b4 I do just in case! A catfish alone makes them important.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Always good to have for safety and for fun.

When you go for a sleigh ride to Cuba good to keep your fishing buddies informed on where you are going and that you are still alive when you go out of sight! :shock:
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

I resisted getting one for a couple of years, but I've never regretted the decision.

Are they absolutely necessary? No

Are they worth the money? Yes
My68MyWay

Post by My68MyWay »

My first time BTB I didn't have one and wished I did. Mythman was kind enough to go out of his way keeping an eye on me but it would have made things a lot easier on him had I been able to communicate during my sleigh rides. I picked one up 2 days after that trip. Plus it would have been nice as well as entertaining to be able to hear what Bigfost and Drflatfish were catching. I don't think it's a purchase I'll regret a bit.
smokedcuda

Post by smokedcuda »

its piece of mind for me man, as well as talking to the others that are out there and weather reports as well. I have never forgotten it, and I typically forget something every trip. That's how important it is to me. If I showed up without it and the group was in sight I think I'd head out to meet them. But I think I would stay on the beach if I did not have the VHF and was alone. Way too many things can happen, just the last time I went out alone a guy in the group was riddled with debilitating muscle cramps and spasms, and another dude had to be brought in with a pretty serious hand laceration. Neither was a big deal thanks to the "group" and their willingness to help and the fact that they all knew what was going on via the VHF's present in numbers. To me its real simple, a good VHF costs less than a full tank of gas in my truck and its with me when I leave the beach.
yakbo8907

Post by yakbo8907 »

smokedcuda wrote:its piece of mind for me man, as well as talking to the others that are out there and weather reports as well. I have never forgotten it, and I typically forget something every trip. That's how important it is to me. If I showed up without it and the group was in sight I think I'd head out to meet them. But I think I would stay on the beach if I did not have the VHF and was alone. Way too many things can happen, just the last time I went out alone a guy in the group was riddled with debilitating muscle cramps and spasms, and another dude had to be brought in with a pretty serious hand laceration. Neither was a big deal thanks to the "group" and their willingness to help and the fact that they all knew what was going on via the VHF's present in numbers. To me its real simple, a good VHF costs less than a full tank of gas in my truck and its with me when I leave the beach.
Thanks for all the input guys. much appreciated. Will be buying one soon.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

One word of advice. Don't try to go the cheap route. There is relatively little difference between the cost of a $50 Cobra and a $120 quality radio. Do your research and you'll see there are a couple of brands recommended over and over. I personally have been using Standard Horizon radios in both power boats and kayaks for many years with no problems and no complaints.
hoot

Post by hoot »

Also make sure you get one that is really 'waterproof'. I just recently got one and while researching, I found several that said waterproof but when you read the details, they were more like splash resistant.

The most economical/value/solid reviews unit I found was the SH MX150.
eclipse504

Post by eclipse504 »

Last edited by eclipse504 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

saltnfresh wrote:Also make sure you get one that is really 'waterproof'. I just recently got one and while researching, I found several that said waterproof but when you read the details, they were more like splash resistant.
Many units now are waterproof and float. One less thing you have to worry about sinking and losing.