hobie outback

dobeebe

hobie outback

Post by dobeebe »

Thinking of upgrading to the hobie outback. Does anyone have reviews about them and how do they do btb launching from Galveston?
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: hobie outback

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Mythman will be the one to answer that question. He now is using a PA, but he will know a lot about BTB any question you can throw at him... Good Luck
Last edited by Thinwater skinner on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
treysdaddy

Post by treysdaddy »

If the outback is the right kayak for you, it will be a good BTB kayak for you. By that I mean that you should try the outback first to make sure it is a good fit. Your height and weight may help to determine that. My son used an outback for 2 years of BTB fishing. He is 6' 2" and about 190lbs. He loved it. We bought his from a BTB fisherman who is 6'5" that felt it was uncomfortable.
The outback is plenty stable and very fast with the turbo fins installed. If you are comfortable in it, you will love it.
dobeebe

Post by dobeebe »

thanks for the replies,,,, is there a place to test kayaks from or do they have promotional days at some body of water to play around with the kayaks?
Reef Donkey

Post by Reef Donkey »

I believe the outback a sweet btb kayak. With the 2015 models coming out you will prolly see alot on sale including mine in order to upgrade. The stability is nice though it doesn't track the best it is still enough to get you through a rough surf.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

treysdaddy wrote:If the outback is the right kayak for you, it will be a good BTB kayak for you. By that I mean that you should try the outback first to make sure it is a good fit. Your height and weight may help to determine that. My son used an outback for 2 years of BTB fishing. He is 6' 2" and about 190lbs. He loved it. We bought his from a BTB fisherman who is 6'5" that felt it was uncomfortable.
The outback is plenty stable and very fast with the turbo fins installed. If you are comfortable in it, you will love it.
X2, what he said!
apd#448

Post by apd#448 »

I have the outback and enjoy it every time I go btb. I have even used it a few times to scuba dive from. I can say its very stable, not the fastest hobie but not the slowest either. I had at one time both the outback and PA14. PA14 is an AWESOME kayak but was not for me, sold the PA14 and have no regrets. I do plan on buying another outback (2015 model) once they start selling them. Just like the post above, try b4 u buy may not be to your liking. Good luck n be safe
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

That new seat will be a game changer for the Outback for sure!
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

The only thing undesirable about the outback is the hull slapping the water.
pescayak

Post by pescayak »

kerplunk wrote:The only thing undesirable about the outback is the hull slapping the water.
When you say hull slap, do you mean while launching btb?
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

He means the slapping sounds the hull makes when there is chop. My PA used to do it also. That was one of the reasons I got rid of my PA.
I might try an AI one day if I hit the lottery. Other than that, I'm done with Hobie. They don't interest me anymore.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Spectre5922 wrote:He means the slapping sounds the hull makes when there is chop. My PA used to do it also. That was one of the reasons I got rid of my PA.
I might try an AI one day if I hit the lottery. Other than that, I'm done with Hobie. They don't interest me anymore.
The Revo and Adventure do not have hull slap, only the Outback and to some extent the PA. Hull slap is only an issue in the marshes. Otherwise the Outback would be an excellent offshore kayak for almost anyone. I've been using the Outback for years including some time on the North Sea which has worse choppy sea conditions than the Gulf. The new 2015 model will be worth waiting for.