Camera recommendations?

hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Camera recommendations?

Post by hipshot »

Okay, so I fried my waterproof camera in the Keys. One of the batteries leaked. I need another one and I don't know where to look. I'm not interested in video. I'd like to find a reliable, waterproof camera that has zoom capability, is reasonably compact (I carried my old one in the pocket of my Stohlquist Angler PFD), and -- a priority -- doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'd like to be able to take underwater shots with it. I don't dive any more; it would be handheld underwater at probably no more than 18" to 2' deep. What do y'all recommend? What would y'all warn me to avoid?
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Camera recommendations?

Post by SAHunter1983 »

I use the Olympus Tough Tr2 and it works great, images are slightly under exposed but that can be worked around. All major name brands make one now and I hear the Nikons are great as well.
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

Olumpus x2 I have the t2 tough, they just came out with the t3. They even make telefoto lenses for it. http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I use it on my eco tours and fishing trips. It has been in the water A LOT. takes great pics. Take a few minutes to learn the "program" feature. I have one set for the action shots and one set for scenery.
fred

Post by fred »

I'm more than satisfied with me FujiFilm XP. Does all you asked for and was less than $100.
f
mschilling

Post by mschilling »

X3 on the Olyp Tough. I've taken mine all over from fresh rivers to offshore salt, including underwater for landing shots. Great quality pics, small size, virtually indestructible. After salt I rise in the sink when I do my reels and that's it.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Thanks for the input, guys. The bride just went to Best Buy -- they know her there -- and bought me a Nikon AW120. It looks like a good camera; the camera guy there told her it and one of the Canons were tied for #2 in their ratings, and the #1 (I don't recall what it was) is way too expensive. The Nikon's got features I'll never use. I like that it's rechargeable, and it's not much larger than the old camera. Hopefully it'll exceed all of my expectations. I know that several of the underwater shots I had taken with the old camera were not real impressive. The next trip is to Matagorda, so I doubt I'll be trying underwater shots any time soon.
texasag07

Post by texasag07 »

I have the Pentax wg-3 and really like it. It's freeze proof, crush proof, waterproof has a good zoom. It takes good pictures and video.

The company that bought Pentax w couple years ago renamed the brand name, but the newest model is the WG-4. Main difference between the wg-3 and wg-4 is the GPS capability. You can still find the wg-3 available at some good prices or find the wg-4 at costco for a good deal.
chicken...

Post by chicken... »

hipshot wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. The bride just went to Best Buy -- they know her there -- and bought me a Nikon AW120. It looks like a good camera; the camera guy there told her it and one of the Canons were tied for #2 in their ratings, and the #1 (I don't recall what it was) is way too expensive. The Nikon's got features I'll never use. I like that it's rechargeable, and it's not much larger than the old camera. Hopefully it'll exceed all of my expectations. I know that several of the underwater shots I had taken with the old camera were not real impressive. The next trip is to Matagorda, so I doubt I'll be trying underwater shots any time soon.
I have the original AW100 and it has served me well. Great camera and make sure the GPS is turned off if you don't need it because the batteries will drain after a couple of trips. Otherwise, I cant kill the batteries on this camera.

Happy Fishin'
chicken :wink: