DIY Fish Measure Board

chicken...

DIY Fish Measure Board

Post by chicken... »

Decided it was about time to make my own measuring board and I ordered the adhesive measuring tape from 321Fish.com as that is one of the best I have seen. Once the measuring tape came in, I made a trip to Walmart to get one of those small cutting boards and then a trip to Home Depot for the PVC board (yes white PVC, just like the pipe) and brass screws. I had the board cut into 3 ~ 32" pieces by the department clerk and that made the job a lot easier once I got home. Once home, I laid everything out and started assembling the measuring board as follows:
1.) Place one board on top of the other to form a 90 degree angle along the long edges. Clamp them together to form the 90 degree angle.
2.) Drill 7 ~ 3/32" pilot holes in the bottom of the flat board and into the vertical board. Note, the face of your vertical board will be 3 1/2" and the bottom board face will be 2 3/4" (both on the inside where you would place the fish).
3.) Screw in the #8x2" screws from the bottom of the horizontal board and into the vertical board. There should be 7 screws in the bottom.
4.) Take the 321Fish.com measure tape and apply it to the vertical board, making sure it reads from left to right.
5.) Take the cutting board and cut a piece for the end cap to place on the left end of the board (at the zero mark). The shape is your choice. . . . .
6.) Place the end cap on the left end of the board and drill 3 ~ 3/32" pilot holes.
7.) Screw in the #8x2" screws from the end.
8.) Drill a 3/8" hole at the end of the bottom board (for a float or attachment) and you're done!

Here's the parts list and prices:
1.) One ~ 321Fish.com measure tape $8.32 (321Fish.com)
2.) One ~3/4"x3 1/2"x8'-0" PVC Trim Board $12.84 (Home Depot)
3.)5 Pkgs ~ #8x2" Brass Screws $7.45 (Home Depot)
4.) Small Plastic Cutting Board $2.78 (Walmart)

This took about 30 minutes to build and a very simple project with a great result, for a drive-out price of $31.39. There are others out there for a little less and some for a little more, but the measuring marks and increments are better than most.

Oh and on my next trip, I'll see if this board floats. . . . .

Happy Fishin'
chicken :wink:
Attachments
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
El Gato Diablo

Re: DIY Fish Measure Board

Post by El Gato Diablo »

Nicely done! Great write-up as well. Will be doing this.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: DIY Fish Measure Board

Post by saltykat »

Nice work Robert. Best cpr measuring device by far, you can easily see the measurements even in less than ideal conditions. I made mine from scrap wood in my shop so it only cost me the price of the sticker
Attachments
IMGP3444_resize.JPG