The fishing has been on FIYA!!!!

nhantech

The fishing has been on FIYA!!!!

Post by nhantech »

Well as always I got bored and was tempted to go out last night again. the forecast saying high winds and coldddd. I decided to find a protected area. Launch at 830. Brrrrrrr!! Cold is right. I was expecting rain so I didn't wear a wader, just fishing pants and sandals. I kinda had 2nd thought but what the heck I was already there. As soon as I made the first it was on. Strong wind, strong water movement...maybe good fishing. It was on!! First cast I reeled in a nice 18" trout. Fish were feeding but not in a frenzy. After several cast a reeled in a 19". Then 22". Then a few more 18,19. The wind picked up and the temp got really cold. I had to out my feet in the water to keep warm, and the water was cold when I first got in. Lol. I had missed some really nice fish cuz I didn't set the hook right. Over all was nice fun,COLD night. Wrapped it up by 12. Fish were still bitibg when I left. I was fishing with a tandem setup. Any lure usually works. I've decided not to post about lure brands cuz I'm not advertising for anyone lol. I have a question? Are less and less ppl kayak fishing or less and less ppl are sharing and more area potlicking. I see same ole ppl post and they have like 1000 views yet 3 comments. Lol. I was fishing in the dark at seabrook in a protected area..... For you potlickers. Lol
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Flippin' Crazee

Re: The fishing has been on FIYA!!!!

Post by Flippin' Crazee »

Way to get out and get on 'em bro
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Those will make a good meal. I need to fish soon and put some meat back in the freezer. My winter supply is gone!

Posting always seems to slow down a bit from November to around March because less people are fishing during the colder months. It should pick back up around next month or so with more reports and other questions. I've only been out twice myself since the new year.

With that being said, there are a ton of people that visit the site with and without a username. I'm sure some just enjoy reading reports, others like to read about lures, depth, structure, and other helpful information, but plenty are hoping to catch a glimpse of something in the background of a picture that might give certain spots away.
flykool25

Post by flykool25 »

I don't fish a lot in winter especially when its cold. man u did good out there especially last night with the wind and cold. :clap: :clap:
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Nice stringer :!: There used to be many more reports when I first signed up on this site 5 years ago. A bunch of members aren't active anymore. Time of year (as Sonny mentioned), and the TKF Facebook page has something to do with the lack of reports as well. Over all this site is still the best fishing forum on the Internet; offers current reports, and plenty of info for kayak anglers.

I personally continue to include lure info as I have done my entire time posting on this site, well before I was affiliated with a lure company. I enjoy reading what lure, jig head style, rod, reel, kayak, and any other equipment that the person writing the report used. I learn from each report I read.

I know you like to throw tandem smelt jerk shads :!: Always enjoy reading your reports. Keep it up man.
Last edited by surfpunk on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
nhantech

Post by nhantech »

Thanks. I was just curious, because I've seen a steady decline year round. Even on you big boys fishing report. Maybe like you said FB
187motorsports

Post by 187motorsports »

I believe it's the winter season that slows down. Like others have said, I myself have been getting kicked around this winter season. Hopefully it turns around.
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

I think your correct that the old salts just don't hang here any more. Some of it could be potlickers and some because they were being ragged on when they posted up. I know the latter is definitely one cause . IMHO the old salts were on here to share and talk fishing and not to see how many posts they could generate. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good people on here that share and talk fishing and are ready to help out a fellow TKF'er. But I do miss the posts from some of the original guys on TKF.
Otto_08

Post by Otto_08 »

Those are some nice trout in some COLD weather.
I need to get on the water thanks for the report.
nhantech

Post by nhantech »

Yea I remember when I started last yr. I message sonny and manny a loy and they helped me find some areas and how to read the maps and what to look for. I never mind sharing info cuz it's free water and I can't catch all the fish, but just don't expect me to give exact location. Lots of good ppl on here with lots on knowledge.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

:lol: :lol: :lol: There are not a lot of crazy yakkers here like you and I Nhan. Not everyone goes out on the coldest night, rain, or high winds!

It sure has felt empty lately when we have hit the water in the usual places. Have seen 1 or 2 kayaks at most fishing the area. They don't stay out for long if the bite is off and have not seen them catching either.

Heck the other night I almost skunked with Bobby and lost what could have been my first KW points with a big redfish that broke off the 1/8 oz rat-l-trap. I do advertise good lures that have work for me. lol That night there was not much baitfish, but the ones that were circling the lights were small, so my swiss army rat-l-trap got me a dink trout and probably would have gotten that 25-27" red if he would have swallow the lure better.

I have not reported in a while cuz the bite has been slow and I just got only my share of dinks, rats, and small flounders. :lol:

Maybe when the water gets warmer will get some offshore action and some big sharks! I'm looking forward to a 100-200yrd sleigh ride this year...

Good catching Nhan! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Nice looking stringer

I don't tend to do a lot of bay fishing but I do enjoy checking out the postings here. BTB we post up every trip :roll: and even encourage pot licking.

Sounds like a cold but productive trip.

WM

I'm planning on hitting the bay's with a friend next Thursday/Wednesday. I'll post up how we do.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Good job nhantech!
I got a new toy that has nothing to do with fishing on Nov. 1. It has been taking up all my spare time. I'll be taking the yak out soon though.
NolaTx

Post by NolaTx »

I think lack of posting this time of year is that fishermen like me don't want to admit that we're too wary of the cold to make a go of it...but we admire those of you who do and esp those who do it successfully! Well done. 40 degrees in the rain at night in Feb, catching fish -- dedicated!
therocket37

Post by therocket37 »

the lack of posting most definitely equals lack of catching lol this is a tough time of year for most anglers including myself and I primarily fish from a PB. I have to imagine that kayakers are going to be at a further disadvantage this time of year. a lucky few seem to have it figured out and can go out and whack em still.
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Thanks from the potlickers
Wag

Post by Wag »

Ripper wrote:Thanks from the potlickers
I'm a recent member, and must say I love the site.
tguff

Post by tguff »

Nice work. Good report :clap:
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

nice report...i can only catch those under a cork popper w/ shrimp
chicken...

Post by chicken... »

Yes, I too believe the pot lickers have driven many to not post. It takes years and many, many hours to learn a spot, what works and when. Not too many people want to give that effort up. . . . .
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

X
Last edited by Brucell on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Aggie '14

Post by Texas Aggie '14 »

I wish I had the time to potlick. I don't post much because I don't have much to contribute. Work has me too busy to fish, which is a terrible problem to have. So I just read about fishing and live through y'all. Thanks for sharing your story us. I'll get out there someday.