Coast Guard Ends Search For Missing Kayaker

bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Coast Guard Ends Search For Missing Kayaker

Post by bigfost »

For everyone, and especially for the newer kayakers, remember it's dangerous out there, and even more so when the water is cold. Make sure you're trained and prepared for the possibility of going into the water.

GALVESTON — The U.S. Coast Guard has ended its search for a kayaker who went missing along the Texas Gulf Coast near Galveston.

Officials say they suspended their search Monday afternoon after looking for three days for Alex Gallant, 23.

Lt. Cmdr. David Vicks says "we exhausted all efforts in hopes of finding Mr. Gallant."

The Coast Guard says Gallant and Brandon Curacas, 21, were kayaking Saturday morning off the waters north of Galveston when Gallant tipped over into the water. While trying to get to safety, Gallant accidentally tipped over Curacas' boat.

Curacas told the Coast Guard he managed to grab onto a piling but Gallant drifted away. Curacas was later picked up by a boat. He was treated by an EMS crew for mild hypothermia and released.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Re: Coast Guard Ends Search For Missing Kayaker

Post by pdt818 »

Very sad news. PFD is a must, but just as important IMO is being able to re-enter your boat when you fall out. Don't necessarily know all the details here as to if he drifted too far from his boat, but it is a necessary skill all paddlers should master. From the sound of it, they had to have been in an area with heavy current, especially if the guy needed to grab onto a piling to stop himself. Just a sad situation all around.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Did they find the kayak? Last I heard they had not found the kayak either. If not, that's very strange.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

This is so sad. I saw a plea from his wife on FB Saturday afternoon and passed it on, like several others did. Cold water and fog makes for tricky conditions, and if you throw fast moving water in there I can see something like this happening pretty easily. We don't know all the details of what happened, but I can say with certainty that deep water reentry is an important skill to have. Wear your PFD on the water, especially when its cold. If you're new to kayaking or just haven't tried it yet, please learn to get back into your kayak after an accidental rollover. Your family shouldn't have to go through this kind of grief because of something that is preventable.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

Jedi wrote:Did they find the kayak? Last I heard they had not found the kayak either. If not, that's very strange.
Kayaks and gear were found already, with the PFDs attached to the kayaks. I am afraid in this situation it is a lost cause. As reported in the abc13's article, the water was 53 degrees. That is cold enough for hypothermia to set in rather quickly. Such a tough pill to swallow, but dammit why do people have to think they are invincible? Sometimes your worst enemy is the grey matter in between your ears. I pray for the missing man's family as they are going through something I could never imagine going through, nor want to.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Very sad situation.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Here is the original story.

GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) --
The U.S. Coast Guard is looking for a missing kayaker last seen near South Deer Island Saturday.

Alex Gallant, 23, was kayaking with Brandon Curacas, 21, when, according to Curacas, Gallant tipped over into the water and began to panic.

As he tried to get to safety, he reportedly tipped Curacas' boat and both men began to drift while holding on to their overturned boats.

Curacas managed to grab onto a piling and was later picked up by a rescue boat. He was treated for mild hypothermia and released.

Gallant continued to drift. The Coast Guard searched by air and water, but hasn't been able to find him.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

This is sad indeed. I saw his wife's plea on Facebook and it broke my heart. Father and husband.

We have stressed safety a bunch and as new takers get into the sport I hope we continue to push the safety issues. The PFD worked great but it was on the boat.

Hearing this story just sucks.

WM
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Very sad…
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by My Fishing Buddy »

Very sad. Newcomers be aware. Fun sport we share but it is dangerous even with proper preparation.

Thoughts and prayer to his family and friends
Fish soup

Post by Fish soup »

My deepest sympathy and prayers to this mans family and friends. Heartbreaking.