calaveras report (from neighbor)

Redfish..Yum

calaveras report (from neighbor)

Post by Redfish..Yum »

I went to Austin this weekend for some bass fishing in the yak but my neighbor went out in a boat to the crappie wall. They caught a few reds and catfish on a variety of cut bait. Looks like things are starting to pick up. My rudder broke on me so i think i will head to the coast to catch the saltwater variety. Just thought i would share the info.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: calaveras report (from neighbor)

Post by Jimbo_47 »

I've been watching for reports from some of the old gang of Calicatyakers. I've heard some good reports of folks catching nice sized cats off the rocks and in the coves from the boaters and guides.
Just wondering if any of the kayakers have been hitting 181 cove or the dam?
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Jimbo_47 wrote:I've been watching for reports from some of the old gang of Calicatyakers. I've heard some good reports of folks catching nice sized cats off the rocks and in the coves from the boaters and guides.
Just wondering if any of the kayakers have been hitting 181 cove or the dam?
Boy are we a bunch of good fishermen :lol: . Jimbo I think we are all watching TKF for the first good report on Cali. Im surprised Remus hasn't takin his propel out yet. Im kinda in a holding pattern until after fiesta.
iron shore

Post by iron shore »

RickR an I are having to much fun with the fly rod to think about cats :lol: We were at the creek yesterday an caught over a 100 perch in 4 hours :D Next trip going after some LMB with the 5wt :D
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Boy, I don't know about you swisher fishers? :lol:
Remus

Post by Remus »

Good to hear from you all. I'm been waiting for the weather to improve but it seems like it has ben either too windy or too cold on the weekends when I'm available.

REMUS
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Remus wrote:Good to hear from you all. I'm been waiting for the weather to improve but it seems like it has ben either too windy or too cold on the weekends when I'm available.

REMUS
You're right on the weather Harry! We've gone from too cold, to too wet, to too windy and back again. Lightning and fishing rods don't mix too well especially out on open water with nowhere to go! :lol:
I took a ride out there last Saturday morning to renew my permit and went over to check out the kayak launch and guess what? It's still there! The wind was blowing straight out of the west at around 15 mph and there was one lone kayaker making his way toward 181 cove.
I went out again this morning (without my kayak) and I drove over to the launch and there was two pickups parked there and two guys over on the dam. They were ON the dam in lawn chairs and had their kayak pulled up on the rocks. At first I thought maybe they had turtled but then I noticed they were setting up their rods and chairs. :lol:
You see the trip wasn't a total waste of time because it had some entertainment value. I didn't stick around to see them get kicked off though! :roll:
It probably would have been a good morning though as the lake was smooth as glass. I started to go but the weather report didn't look favorable so, oh well!
It's got to improve sometime! Hope to see you out there soon!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Fished the treeline today but not even a nibble so I tried the tank (ole catyaker hole)....bingo! Got my limit in 2 hrs and they were big too, all but a few were 3 to 4 lbs +.one of the best trips I've had. anchored up once and never casted more than 10 yards. Was fishing 2 rods had doubles three times! Kinda weird the cats should be in the trees this time of year???
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

BOOOOM! ^^^^Thanks for that report Dusty! :clap:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

The cats must have been feeding really heavy because there were little oil slicks about 4in diameter popping up around me. I've never experienced that before. Anybody else ever seen that?
rickr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by rickr »

Well I'll be darn....is this the old Dusty, one of the original Catyakkers?.....It has been years since you gave up the rod for the bow. :roll: :roll: Glad to see your back in action. :clap:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hello rick! You did warn me bout them bows lol. I actually laid down the bow a bit also, got pretty serious into competition pistol matches. Just had the urge to fish today. Shure did have some good times fishing with you.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Nice report Dusty! Congrats on the mess of fish. I've got a few things lined up the next couple of weeks but I should be out there the second weekend of May. Hope to see a couple of y'all out there.
holdem

Post by holdem »

Stuck my head out the door this morning Roy and decided to stay home so you're not missing anything today. :horse:
Call a "meeting in the reeds" when you get loose. :clap:
Remus

Post by Remus »

Finally I was able to get out to the lake yesterday Sunday. Bait was plentiful at the boat ramp early in the am. Paddled across the lake and made it to the 181 cove around 0800 and in the first cast caught a 5lb Blue Catfish. I though that I was going to catch fish non-stop all morning but after that first fish I didn't catch another fish for two hours when I hooked a 4.5lbs Blue. Ran into Mike Castin4fish at the kayak launch, hopefully he had better luck.

REMUS
Last edited by Remus on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy

Post by Roy »

holdem wrote:Stuck my head out the door this morning Roy and decided to stay home so you're not missing anything today. :horse:
Call a "meeting in the reeds" when you get loose. :clap:
You bet Holdem!

Glad you were able to get out there Remus- but I'm also a bit jealous. :lol:
Remus

Post by Remus »

I'm still waiting for the report from Mike Casting4fish.

Remus
Redman27

Post by Redman27 »

I went out sunday morning landed 6 nice reds 3 of them 30" plus. caught on crawfish tails and a big one on a bluegill
Remus

Post by Remus »

Great to hear that the reds are bitting.

Remus
holdem

Post by holdem »

Good to hear the bait report Harry. I'll be out soon as I get clearance from the Doc.
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

I went out Saturday and fished 181 Cove. I caught all the catfish I wanted out of 14 FOW, and they were BIG, including one 9 pound channel cat (my new PB). All fish bit on Big Marv's punch bait. I couldn't buy a bite on live perch all day. Lots of folks catching reds on crawfish.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Big marv's you say? :lol:
That's my go to bait when I can't get them to bite on anything else! Funny how nobody wants to fish anywhere near you when you use it! :roll: Thanks for the report! :clap: