Canyon lake/rebecca creek 5/20

StuckInTheMud

Canyon lake/rebecca creek 5/20

Post by StuckInTheMud »

If anyone has been wondering how the recent rains have affected rebecca creek and the boat ramp 11, here's the first shock I saw this morning

When i pulled up to the ramp, there was no chain across there like usual so I was like wait, what's wrong? Then I saw it. The water was actually high enough for the ramp to be OPEN, thus the cable being gone. Pretty excited to see that. I havent been coming to this spot for that long, but after seeing this area down to barely a trickle, and having to get out and walk just to reach the main river channel, it was pretty cool to see the water high enough for the ramp to actually be "in service".

I can't seem to get this picture to show up. I've resized it over and over.... Oh well. It was just a picture of the depth finder...Basically, with the water being so high at the ramp, I set up the depth finder right after launching (instead of having to wait until i hit the main channel) and it was showing 6.4 feet, getting to around 5.5 feet around where the trickle of water remained when it was so low.

The water there in Rebecca creek was actually really nice and clear. I kind of wish I had gone exploring back in rebecca creek, but I had hopes for crappie today. Water clarity was not the best out in the main channel. It was high, and off color as to be expected after such rains. I brought minnows thinking I could combat the dirty/high water with lively fresh minnows. Sadly, they didn't really help. I launched around 7:40 I guess, and never truly found numbers of fish. I scratched out 3 crappie total, with only 1 of them being just big enough to keep. I also managed to hook a carp of some sort. I honestly don't know if he ate my minnow, and i hooked him in the mouth initially, or if I just had a stroke of dumb luck. I say that because when I finally got him in the net and stopped messing around trying to take a picture, i noticed the hook was in the side of his face and he was bleeding. This wasn't the case when I first got him in the net, so I have no idea.

And one final picture coming back in. The ramp kind of sneaks up on you since the water is so high! It was a great day to be out on the water, even though I didnt find fish. I must have just gone the wrong direction, because some other people I saw had a few catfish and they had gone up river instead of towards the lake. Somebody else also found the catfish, as there was a mess of cleaned fish left in the water there at ramp 11. Guess I just went the wrong way this morning...

castin4fish

Re: Canyon lake/rebecca creek 5/20

Post by castin4fish »

Thanks for the report. Ive been watching the lake level an knew the creek had enough water now, but was hesitant to go fish it thinking the water was still muddy.
StuckInTheMud

Post by StuckInTheMud »

Yea, its still off color out in the main channel like i mentioned, but other people had figured out the bite still. Some other kayakers had a few catfish (and they went upstream), and I mentioned the mess of catfish guts left next to the ramp so the fish are there, just not sure where the other folks went to find them.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

That's awesome, it has been years since the chain was down. Good to know.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

That water may be all the way to the parking lot as I type this! :shock: