May 2015 Flood

Texjbq85

May 2015 Flood

Post by Texjbq85 »

I figured we should start a thread dedicated to flood discussion and pictures. I primarily fish on the San Marcos river and had recently gotten back to the Blanco since it was flowing again. Obliviously, the loss of life and property are so awful. I'm also interested to watch the river's themselves recover and wonder how long it will be till it's safe to go on normal fishing float trip. It's very likely that it will be like exploring a new river as flood of this magnitude reshape entire sections.

This was taken where Fulton Ranch road crosses the Blanco. Note the tree was not from anywhere near where this picture was taken.

This was taken off of Bogie Drive in San Marcos, which is next to Quail Creek Golf Course and across from Gary Job Center. All the homes here sustained major, major damage (as in 8-9 feet of flowing water) and I imagine they don't have flood insurance due to how far from the river they are. You can see a school bus.

This is off Bogie Dr as well. It gives you an idea of the water level.

This is the Blanco looking downstream from the Highway 80 bridge in San Marcos around 11 am Sunday, it had obviously been much higher.

This is looking at the Blanco just above the Uhland Rd crossing. The Fraternity house there had about 5 feet of water through it at the peak.

One friend of mine house who flooded.

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: May 2015 Flood

Post by jhb »

I'll be living in the area again real soon. As soon as the flows calm down I'd be interested in getting a team together with some chainsaws to clear some safe fishing lanes open again. I can get a canoe for a team but I'd prefer my kayak. I'm very safety minded and would like to use rope, chainsaws and PPE. Let me know if anyone is interested. I can swing a weekend or weekdays. Maybe turn it in to an overnighter also if people are willing. The canoe can carry the minimal gear needed and we can all fish and float.
Texjbq85

Re: May 2015 Flood

Post by Texjbq85 »

Went yesterday afternoon and took some pictures downstream of San Marcos.

From 101 (Old Bastrop Highway):

Scull Rd: