I Said I would Never Do This

castin4fish

I Said I would Never Do This

Post by castin4fish »

Ok I put a trolling motor on my Ocean. Everything was ok until Remus bought his propel. :lol: Seriously tho I just wanted it for those long drags back to the ramp from 181 cove. Theres nuthin like trying to paddle a SE wind back to the ramp at 2pm in the summer after a hard morning fishin. Was jus toying with the idea when the Minn Kota came up at Academy for $89 plus a mail in rebate for $10. After purchasing it I mounted it behind the seat on the right using the built in rod holders. Was unsure about steering so I dropped it in the stock tank. sure enough maneuvering was interesting. I finally learned that leaning in the direction of the turn would help. I figured it was good enough since I was only looking at straight shots across the lake anyway. SInce I made a decision to go ahead and use it I applied and picked up my registration and tittle from TPWD. Was not as painful as I figured. Well I got to thinking a rudder would really make a difference but didn't want to spend $199 on the ocean rudder kit, so I made my own. Still need to hook up steering cables. I really don't want the foot control so Im thinking sum kind of hand lever controls. Well anyway I will be on the lake when its complete. I made everything removable as I do with all my equipment so I'm not tied to the conversion.
See you guys out there. Oh BTW I kept looking at the Hobie's so I figured the trolling motor would save me $3000 for at least a couple more years. Now if I could find a comfortable seat. :roll:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: I Said I would Never Do This

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Looks like I'll be all by my lonesome fishing the ramp cove from now on! :cry:
I don't blame you one bit, because that is a long haul across the lake, and I'm sure that's one reason our little group kind of dropped off over the past couple years because it's a tough paddle even for a young guy, and most of us ain't getting any younger. :lol:
I've gone back and forth personally on the idea, as I've got a nice little short shaft Motorguide I've had for years just sitting in my storage shed. It would fit perfectly on my Commander but I just can't get myself to go register my kayak and then put the numbers on it.
The main reason that I haven't is that compact 14' trihulled Gamefisher, with the old 15 h.p. Yamaha that runs like a Swiss watch that I've got sitting on a trailer on the side of house. It's also got a trolling motor and two comfortable pedastal seats, and even a middle seat, and I can even put a bimini top on it if I want to.
If it wasn't for that rig, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat, but I still love the simplicity of my kayak, but I don't know how long I'll be able to wrestle it either!
holdem

Post by holdem »

Rut RO, I've got a bass raider with 2.5 Mercury on the back and Minn Kota on the front. Is this a sin ? especially in 181 cove. BTW, this is a calm day boat only, less than 15 !!! Cain't wait to see Mike shooting across the lake, way to go Mike !!!!
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Not a sin whatsoever!
I've fished the 181 cove from my boat more than once!....Is that a sin? :lol:
holdem

Post by holdem »

Jimbo_47 wrote:Not a sin whatsoever!
I've fished the 181 cove from my boat more than once!....Is that a sin? :lol:
That was before we were born again Yakers. I've pulled a few bass out of the 181 hole back in the 80's with my bassboat. Would they call us Cali Catboaters. Prolly have to post on some other site. :roll:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

When I do fish from my boat, and not very often by any means, and that's only when my neighbor wants to tag along so I wear a disquise, and that being a different hat with a buff over my face! 8)
If kayakers are around I'll curse at them and shake my fist just to make certain I'm not recognized! :lol:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Hey Mike, what kind of battery are you going to use? A full size or one of those smaller wheel chair batteries?
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Jimbo_47 wrote:Hey Mike, what kind of battery are you going to use? A full size or one of those smaller wheel chair batteries?
I have two AGM batteries. I think one would get me there and back but I had two so I peralleled them. They are 21 amp hrs each
Off-Duty_Dad

Post by Off-Duty_Dad »

Speaking of a comfortable seat...

I have a Diablo chupa, and had the Larry chair. The back wasn't as comfortable as I would've liked, so I picked up a seat made by feelfree at ACK in San antonio. I devised a way to attach it to the yak, and I have absolutely loved it since. It has a short back on it, but it's incredibly comfortable. The seat can be found here.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/150 ... -seat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't be happier with this seat.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Anyone fishing anymore? I'm planning to be at the lake in a couple of weeks.

Remus
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Remus wrote:Anyone fishing anymore? I'm planning to be at the lake in a couple of weeks.

Remus
Let me know Harry. Im ready. Sounds like reds r on the move. Been a slow summer.