Brown and Root flats, Red tide?

Isotope

Brown and Root flats, Red tide?

Post by Isotope »

Just in from a days trip out to brown and Root, crossing the channel towards the normal launch point, noted brown staining of the water, thought it may be tannin, was just past low tide on a very slow flood. As we approached the shallower water towards the launch, noted water was stained dark red/brown with a sheen on top. Have never seen tide issues in this area, however both me and my buddy found ourselves coughing. Has anyone else noted this?

Thanks...
Claybob

Re: Brown and Root flats, Red tide?

Post by Claybob »

I haven't been out since the big rain, but a friend was fishing the day before the storms.

He didn't see any dead fish, but said he had some coughing/eye irritation.
Also said the fish weren't biting.

How was the fishing today?

I should be able to go tomorrow morning, will report on my findings.
Isotope

Post by Isotope »

I should have added a fishing report..low winds, nice bait movement up on the flats, just above the trough/hunting blind conversion. We both pulled a single rat red...about 18, which were promptly returned, lots of grass floating so we stayed with cut bait...
Saltstalker

Post by Saltstalker »

Menhaden swimming crazy circles on top and dying in the shrimp boat channel you can catch them by hand down towards the barge facility.
JimBeaux

Post by JimBeaux »

You should report this incident to the Coast Guard ASAP-could be a leaking pipeline
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

Report info here --

http://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/e ... nd_spills/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

I was out on B&R for a full day trip yesterday(7am-3pm) and saw nothing but a bunch of reds and rays. Water was gin clear and the reds were in small groups tailing away. Once the wind layed down mid-morning they were easy to spot. We went all the way out almost to Y cut.
M Michael Meyer

Post by M Michael Meyer »

I am new to this, so I am not certain how helpful this report will be. (Also, I am a lawyer, so forgive the mumbo jumbo! :lol: )

I have attached a picture to this post, so helpfully it will help interpret what I say.

My wife and I fished B&R flats yesterday. We launched at LP (across from the Sailboat Channel) around 10:00 A.M. We paddled south down the channel to what I guess they call the "Y cut." We then moved to the east into what I have labeled the First Area. I caught a dink red at the point before we moved into the third area. Since there was no action in the first area around noon we moved to the west. We went down a channel which has a wellhead in the middle of it. In this channel we saw a PBer and they reported one flounder and a black drum. We then drifted north through the second area and came in around 3:00 p.m. Water was very murky and my wife and I both saw a significant number of patches of water that appeared to have a rust colored sheen to them. About 1/8 mile from reaching Sailboat Channel we encountered a lot of dead grass floating on the surface. There was so much dead grass that I would need to stop mid-retrieve and clean grass from my rod tip. :cry:

We saw mullet jumping and a significant number of baitfish working at the surface. We saw a few tails which might have been redfish. As I was in the second area I saw three reds swimming just below the surface. (One appeared to be over 28" and the other two appeared to be slot fish.) I also saw one sting ray sitting in the vegetation. We were fishing Gulp New Penny 3" shrimp and received no bites. In fact, there was very little activity on the Gulp from crabs or what I call piggy perch. In the afternoon the wind was very light and there was little current. It appeared to be a low tide when we arrived and an incoming tide the remainder of the time.

I don't know if this helps, but it is the best I can do.

Now for a question. We are going back out on Sunday, but do not know where to go. We live in Corpus Christi and can go anywhere. The limiting factor is launching. We are both senior citizens (I am 66 and she is 62) and we paddle Rides which are heavy, so we cannot lift and carry the kayaks for a significant distance. I was thinking about launching at Port Road and paddling over to the Northwest Bay Shore. I am concerned, however, that the rains this weekend may make traveling to Port Road impossible. (We drive a 2014 Kia Sorento with 2WD.) Any recommendations?
Attachments
B&R Flats (10-28-2015).jpg
Isotope

Post by Isotope »

Thanks Michael, that mirrors our experience. My preferred launch point is always the sandy area just to the right beyond the second bridge following fin and feather. I reported the situation to TPWD and had a solid confirmation of red tide on the sailboat channel, but not extending into the flats and marshes. Was further informed that the bloom was moving well with tides, and that they did not anticipate a large fish kill or lasting effects. The overall answer was, to not eat any sluggish fish, and they did not anticipate problems.

Thanks,
Sam
Claybob

Post by Claybob »

Report from this morning:

But first, a pic of my new yak :mrgreen: :clap:

Native Slayer Propel 10!

Launched at 0730, the wind was 10-15 NNE.
This was mostly a "Get to know the new kayak" trip.

I pedaled down Eastshore and paddled up onto the flats a bit.

I saw no signs of any red tide. No funky water or smell. No dead fish.

Up on the flat, there was very little to no bait activity.

I did notice some bait busting going on way out into M&C Cut.

I headed out there and worked a new penny/chartreuse gulp and caught 2 dink trout.

Headed in at 0930
M Michael Meyer

I have a question for all you experienced salts who fish B&R flats.

My question is about the effect of tidal movement on fishing on the flats.

I have attached a map of the East Shore. On the map are two arrows showing what appear to be cuts through spoil banks or reefs on the East Shore. I assume on an outgoing tide water will be moving from the flats to M&C Cut. Conversely, on an incoming tide I would expect the water to be moving from M&C Cut into the flats.

Does that have any effect on which side of the cut I should be fishing?

This is my thought process but I do not know if it is correct. I would assume the predator fish are going to be ambushing the bait fish after they come through a cut, not before. So, if the water on an incoming tide flows from the channel to the flats then I should expect to find the predator on the flats waiting for the bait fish to come through the cut and should be fishing the flats. Conversely, on an outgoing tide I should expect to find the predator fish in the deeper water waiting for the bait fish to come through the cut and I should be fishing in the channel.

If my logic all wrong? Or, should I just follow my wife's instruction and quit trying to outthink it and just throw some bait out there :shock: ?
Attachments
East Shore.jpg
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

I usually go across the flats towards the islands looking for them tailing and then head towards the drop offs. At the second cut I will drift across it two or three times and see if anything is sitting there. Those cuts and the edge have been good to me when the tides are falling. I like to hit it at a high tide and try to catch them tailing and then follow the tide out towards the drains and cuts.

As for places to fish with limited dragging of your yaks try bird island basin or also parking at the aqautic center in Aransas pass. There I believe is a launch there that will take you to some flats. Another is the flats across from packery park but watch out for power boaters. Good luck.

Mahalo
JMS

Post by JMS »

Also try across highway at LHL, agree Packery channel park is easy launch area, doesn't open until 7:00am
revriptide

Post by revriptide »

exactly right on how the fish relate to tide
not2shabby

Post by not2shabby »

This might be the most informative conversation I've seen on here in a long time. Bravo and thanks for sharing your experiences!

I was in B&R on Tuesday. Water was off-color, very poor visibility, but lots of bait activity. It was a grind just to pick up two rat reds and a dink trout. Sounds like the water really settled down by Wednesday.

Overall, Corpus Christi Bay system has not looked good for me the past month, or so. After this front moves through, I'm hoping it cools off and the water clears up.
Isotope

Post by Isotope »

I could not agree more Not2shabby, I had completely quit on this site due to the snarky crap that became a way of life for many here. I am certainly glad I could get some decent folks reporting back their experiences. It seems that every kayak I saw out on the flats has responded, and that says a lot for the nature of this site, and perhaps it offers a glimmer of hope that we can get back the open discussion forum we once had here.

Sam
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Kahuna »

Isotope wrote:I could not agree more Not2shabby, I had completely quit on this site due to the snarky crap that became a way of life for many here. I am certainly glad I could get some decent folks reporting back their experiences. It seems that every kayak I saw out on the flats has responded, and that says a lot for the nature of this site, and perhaps it offers a glimmer of hope that we can get back the open discussion forum we once had here.

Sam
Sad to say those things come and go in waves. I haven't been here long but for the most part folks on here are very helpful. Some move on and it becomes the next waves turn to help folks with the learning curve. Hopefully some of the discussed items helped yall there. I know that the area that you fished is one of my favorite places to fish. Another piece of advice would be to bring weedless hooks. And sometopwaters too. It helps with the snags on the shallow flats.

Mahalo
M Michael Meyer

I want to thank everybody for their assistance. I know I ask a lot of questions and am too inexperienced to bring much to the table, but my wife and I are passionate about our love of kayak fishing the flats. I really appreciate the input I have received on this site from everyone.

Concerning the weedless hooks, I use Owner TwistLOCK™ 3X Weighted Single Hooks
10090466.jpg
10090466.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
and I really do like them. I bury the tip of the barb in the top of the Gulp (very shallow) and they are virtually weedless. Most of the weeks are picked up by the knot I tie attaching the leader to the hook. Having said all of that, I am quite certain that one day I am going to impale my finger on the barb while putting on the plastic. :oops:

Once again, thanks to everybody.
M Michael Meyer

My wife and I are going out tomorrow morning. We are going to one of three places: (1) B&R Flts/East Shore, (2) LHL or (3) Stedman's Reef. Any suggestions?
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Kahuna »

M Michael Meyer wrote:My wife and I are going out tomorrow morning. We are going to one of three places: (1) B&R Flts/East Shore, (2) LHL or (3) Stedman's Reef. Any suggestions?
This is how I would play it. You got a low tide predicted at 1330. North wind predicted at 10-15. Anything on the north side of the road lhl or launch at tarpon shores and paddle into the wind. Down falls of lhl would be the wind could blow out some water but the main entrance could hold some fish.

As for stead mans or brown and root. It could be good but you would have to fight the wind in the way back. Just anticipate it to pick up. Also I like the fish the second day after a northern blows through. Go with a plan and have some back up plans should the wind or water doesn't cooperate.

Mahalo
Saltstalker

Post by Saltstalker »

Great info. Thank you all.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

M Michael Meyer wrote:I am new to this...but do not know where to go. We live in Corpus Christi and can go anywhere...
Hopefully this can help you find some new spots: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ms ... ppVhe8mVQQ
Unfortunately, I haven't seen or tasted salt water in almost a month...it's killing me...so I can't give too much advice. Just get out there and enjoy the day, if the fish bite, then it's a bonus.
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

Another great day around LHL and no red tide