Lone Star Kayak Series 2016 Event #1

Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lone Star Kayak Series 2016 Event #1

Post by Coachsmills »

This is a reminder for everyone that the first event of the 2016 Lone Star Kayak Series is a little more than a month away, taking place on April 23rd. Registration is now open at http://www.lonestarkayakseries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the cost is $65 per event.

For those that are not aware of the tournament, this is a kayak only redfish tournament out of Galveston, TX. The boundaries are from Sabine Pass to the Colorado River, so lots of areas to fish. Combined weight of your two biggest slot redfish (20 - 28 inches) determines the winner. Payout goes to the top 25% of the field, giving each angler a chance to win some money and prizes by sponsors such as Werner Paddles, Hook Spit Performance Rods, Astral, Yeti, Buggs, Saltwater Assassin, and the list goes on and on. This is a great tournament for those that have been wanting to try their hand at tournament fishing. The cost is low, the chances of winning something are pretty good, and the weighins provide anglers with an opportunity to meet other with similar interest and talk about fishing. There will be 4 events this year with an AOY crowned at the end of the last event in October.

The first event from last year consisted of more than 170 anglers from all over the state of Texas. We're shooting for 200 this year, which means cash and prizes would be presented to the top 50 anglers.

Please note that the new wieghin location will be at the HarborWalk Yacht Club and Marina. Anglers also have the option to launch from the HarborWalk Marina on the morning of the tournament, you just have to let the man at guard shack know that you're with the Lone Star Kayak Series.

Feel free to post up any questions and/or check out the rules page on the website listed above.

http://www.lonestarkayakseries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coasting thru

Re: Lone Star Kayak Series 2016 Event #1

Post by Coasting thru »

Getting excited about LSKS!! This will be my first glance at tournament fishing. Looking forward to meeting more kayak fishermen and hopefully catching a few reds.
Wadefish69

Post by Wadefish69 »

Looking forward to it! Seems October to April takes foreverrrrr!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Registered about 2 weeks ago, time to go into kayak fishing mode.
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

All registered and ready to go! Looking forward to meeting some folks!

Brett
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

I am ready to roll. Looking forward to familiar faces and meeting new folks.
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

Looking forward to it! :dance:
Fish Aholic

Post by Fish Aholic »

I will be there. Looking towards the first event. Always my favorite event!
bigun
Location: Vidor,TX...FTU Pro Staff...Native Watercraft Pro Staff

Post by bigun »

Apparently you didn't read the rules very closely because it clearly states no Blackwells aloud
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

bigun wrote:Apparently you didn't read the rules very closely because it clearly states no Blackwells aloud
Reminds me of a line from the movie Down Periscope where the boundaries were changed at the last minute. Might be the only way to beat this fisherman. :)
goredho

Post by goredho »

So I'm still a neophyte to kayak fishing and get skunked as often as I get a fish or two. So there is no way I'd be competitive. That said, anyone got an opinion as to how "fun" it might be even if I'm just padding the pot, so to speak?
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

You just never know, might be your day to catch two Redfish
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Do you have a list going on the usual suspects, and anyone else entered so far?
What is headcount at?

As for me, only been out once since early December...and that was in Aransas...so I've got no idea what shape the marshes are in. Oh well, should be a fun even nonetheless.

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends at the very least. Plus I can continue my info gathering process on a book I will write someday, called "Adventures with Tombo"
There is rarely a dull moment when we travel...and I truly enjoy his stories...from eating "squimpses", to crazy women, to how unbelievably calm he stays while dealing with idiots.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Put me down for ten autographed copies. I have forgotten too many details lately. :)
volintexas

Post by volintexas »

goredho wrote:So I'm still a neophyte to kayak fishing and get skunked as often as I get a fish or two. So there is no way I'd be competitive. That said, anyone got an opinion as to how "fun" it might be even if I'm just padding the pot, so to speak?
I was in that position for the 4th LSKS tournament last year. I had actually never even caught a keeper sized redfish before, but I decided to enter anyway, and I ended up winning the blackjack prize with my first ever keeper at 20 7/8". You never know what will happen on tournament day!

Even if you get skunked on tournament day, I think it is absolutely worth it to enter just to hang out with fellow TKF'ers at the weigh in. The whole event was very enjoyable.
Millsman5

Post by Millsman5 »

I am in the exact same boat. I have been out trying to learn what I can for past year, keep thinking I am going to enter this tournament and then change my mind thinking I need to learn more. I think this time I am going to just jump in. So if you want to try it, go right ahead! You will not be the only newbie out there. I will be there too, plus others as well I am sure. if nothing else it will be fun just talking and seeing others that up to now, I have only seen their posts.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

When I started fishing this tournament, I had only been kayak fishing for a year. I could catch a couple of redfish each time out, but most were lower slot. I entered the tournament with the goal of bringing two redfish to each of the weigh ins, regardless of size. Around 2 am, the night before the very first event, a front blew through, and with it, 35+ mph wind. Conditions were horrible and I ended up catching 3 redfish that were between 20 and 21". I didn't feel too confident when I arrived at the weigh in with my two tiny fish, but ended up getting 4th out of 57 anglers because everyone else had a worse day than me. My fish were so small that Rick Spillman finished one place ahead of me with one upper slot red.

I fished the next event in June and fished the same spot with the same results. Two reds that weighed 1/4 lb. more than my previous stringer, but finished 23rd overall. It was then that, I realized that I needed to spend some time fishing new areas, where I could hopefully find bigger fish. By the time the last event of that year came around, I had branched out and tried 1/2 a dozen new spots between Sabine and East Matagorda. Not only did I find new water to fish, I learned a lot along the way. I think I finished 5th at the last event with 12 lbs.

I guess my point is that getting my butt kicked at the second event helped me become a better angler in the long run. I could have continued to fish my same ol' marsh and catch the same ol' tiny fish, but, I wanted to have a chance at winning. I'm pretty competitive, so figuring out a way to actually compete with the other anglers became a priority for me. It only takes two bites to win this tournament, and anyone can do it.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

M T Stringer wrote:What is headcount at?
I think we're around 30 right now, but you know how it is. Most people will wait until it gets a little closer before signing up. That's always been the norm at least.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Millsman5 wrote:I am in the exact same boat. I have been out trying to learn what I can for past year, keep thinking I am going to enter this tournament and then change my mind thinking I need to learn more. I think this time I am going to just jump in. So if you want to try it, go right ahead! You will not be the only newbie out there. I will be there too, plus others as well I am sure. if nothing else it will be fun just talking and seeing others that up to now, I have only seen their posts.

Get out there, try to catch some fish and whether you do or don't, hang out at the weigh in and meet a bunch of other guys. Some of my best friends were met at the LSKS. I fish, camp, hang out, share meals, and much more with folks I met at the weigh ins.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

aggie182 wrote:. I fish, camp, hang out, share meals, and much more with folks I met at the weigh ins.
And Fish Caddy???
goredho

Post by goredho »

Sounds like a cant-lose event. Thanks for the responses. May be difficult for me to get out there in April, but I'll definitely try to make one of them this year.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Coachsmills wrote:
aggie182 wrote:. I fish, camp, hang out, share meals, and much more with folks I met at the weigh ins.
And Fish Caddy???
Yes, that too.
gerARRGH

Post by gerARRGH »

I'm probably going to register at the last minute. Hoping to get Thursday off to make a camping trip out of it.

Working over night sucks!
SuperShane

Post by SuperShane »

In my 2nd year of kayak fishing I will enter the tournaments this year, I have fished bass tournaments from a boat but this will be my first redfish tournement of any kind.
Leeb

Post by Leeb »

When is the deadline ?