After a long Summer I finally caved...

Jhol0988

After a long Summer I finally caved...

Post by Jhol0988 »

Where: West Galveston Bay (End of Sportsman's Rd.)

Well it has been a long Summer and I grinded it out all summer with no fish. I've been throwing artificial bait all summer with no takers so I finally caved and got a cast net. I got to the spot about 6:30 or so as the sun was coming up to find some bait. Of course I spent most of my fishing time today trying to catch bait (I'll have to master the art of throwing a cast net). There was bait everywhere and feeding activity in the marsh. Fished to about 11:30 and managed this one redfish measuring right at 26 inches. Definitely a PB for me. I'm excited for the fall. Flounder run, cooler weather, and good fishing. Til next time!
Attachments
14232391_706068661643_7584351858564914492_n.jpg
TigerLandSportsman

Re: After a long Summer I finally caved...

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Congrats
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Nice red!!!
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

Nice fish.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Congrats and tight lines from here on out!
JMS

Post by JMS »

Good job, took me a couple years to get consistent at finding fish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cabajohw

Post by cabajohw »

Good looking red!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Cool report and nice fish!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

So, one red that size can make up for a few skunks, right? :D

If you want to get a jump on flounder season, I would suggest you start scouting areas where you can cast-net some finger mullet ranging from 3-5 inches long. That and spend a few bucks and buy a minnow trap. Mud minnows aren't as big as finger mullet, but they live a lot longer on the hook and in your bait bucket - durable little things. The thing about traps though, is you have to set them and come back at least an hour later. Placed in 6-8" of water up against a grass shoreline, you can get a dozen or more in 2 hours.

Otherwise, a Gulp Swimming Mullet is a pretty awesome bait for flounder. But as long as they are where you are casting, and as long as the current is moving, flounder will hit anything from a $3 spoon to a piece of cut bait. Anything in between that moves is liable to get bit. Current is a must. I have sat on a favorite hole for 3 hours waiting for the tide to turn, knowing if I pulled up anchor, someone else would grab that spot. As soon as the tide picked up, Bam, bam, hits almost every cast on the red or chartreuse Gulp SM.

Can you tell that I am also looking forward to some flounder fishing this fall?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yaklash wrote:So, one red that size can make up for a few skunks, right? :D

If you want to get a jump on flounder season, I would suggest you start scouting areas where you can cast-net some finger mullet ranging from 3-5 inches long. That and spend a few bucks and buy a minnow trap. Mud minnows aren't as big as finger mullet, but they live a lot longer on the hook and in your bait bucket - durable little things. The thing about traps though, is you have to set them and come back at least an hour later. Placed in 6-8" of water up against a grass shoreline, you can get a dozen or more in 2 hours.

Otherwise, a Gulp Swimming Mullet is a pretty awesome bait for flounder. But as long as they are where you are casting, and as long as the current is moving, flounder will hit anything from a $3 spoon to a piece of cut bait. Anything in between that moves is liable to get bit. Current is a must. I have sat on a favorite hole for 3 hours waiting for the tide to turn, knowing if I pulled up anchor, someone else would grab that spot. As soon as the tide picked up, Bam, bam, hits almost every cast on the red or chartreuse Gulp SM.

Could've fooled me... :wink:
Jhol0988

Post by Jhol0988 »

Yaklash wrote:So, one red that size can make up for a few skunks, right? :D

Definitely appreciate the information. I'll keep that in mind about the minnow trap. Yeah that red made up for the skunks I had. I had one red that hit a nice size piggy perch I had and just took off. He got off the but I wonder what size it was because the perch was probably 6 inches long and he hit it like a linebacker. (Had to put the football reference in there with the season starting :D )
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good catch Mr. Jhol0988. Reds like that are FUN. Congrats!

I've been leaning more towards cutting back on what I take on the water but might have to make an exception and add a cast net. More to learn!