Help me rig out my Ride.

ldgaryjoos

Help me rig out my Ride.

Post by ldgaryjoos »

I lucked up on a 2 month old Ride 115x max angler kayak in the flint color. The only thing that has been done to it is two flush mount rod holders.

Give me some ideas on outfitting it. I'm new to kayaks and kayak fishing. I do not plan on fishing offshore, mainly just lakes and maybe rivers.

I have never fished with a fishfinder before. Which one would be best-my budget for electronics is about 150.

I know I also need a light. Which one is best? I would like one that attaches to the gear tracks on the kayak.

I'm 5'5"-paddle recommendations?

I was thinking about changing all the bungee cords out to a different color just to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newt556

Re: Help me rig out my Ride.

Post by Newt556 »

Nothing wrong with changing the bungee. I have the lowarance 4x FF run me $99 and works great and has the color screen. They have a new one called the 3xhook or something if you look around you can score it for $99. As far as lights hands down the yak attack visi pole its the one I used. And remember to use your id here at ack for a discount. WIth the discount ack was the cheapest I could find it. Paddle Id say at least a 240 probably a 250.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Lots of options. I have a Ride 115, model just prior to the 115x. I love it for its stability. I can take my daughter with me and not worry about tipping it over. I've done overnight river trips on it. I have a hummingbird fish finder, but have never used it. I just look at the structure and go from there.

I added a set of flush mount rod holders behind the seat on the bulkhead between the seat well and the rear well. I built a pvc spreader that mounts between the rod holders and allows me to use them as rod holders (provided the rod handles aren't too thick) and add a flag, light, or canopy in the middle. basically, a rocket launcher. I have an REI clearance special light that I use on the end of a PVC pole to elevate its reach. For night fishing, I picked up a light designed for a patio umbrella. LED, AA batteries. Mount it on top and does a great job of illuminating the cockpit and surrounding area. I have a sunshade that I made with PVC and a piece of tarp, but I rarely use it. Found out on my first trip it will get hung on everything. I fish rivers a lot.

The first and still best two rigging mods I've done have been to add an anchor trolley and build a tow leash. I connect the tow leash to the front carry handle and can drag and portage easier without killing my back. Also, on my anchor trolley, I tied a 12" length of 1/4" bungee from the eye and tied a carabiner on the other end. I can hook my sand anchor, my grapple anchor, and I can also attach a brush clip (which is a plastic spring clamp from Harbor Freight with a hole in it and paracord. Use this the most for my uses. Paddle up to some trees, clip the clamp to the brush, and fish on.

I built a cooler carrier out of pvc that used the scupper holes in the rear tankwell to elevate the cooler and allow for storage underneath for a grill or stove. I have since abandoned using that. I rarely trek alone, so my paddling partner, who also has a Ride 115, and I split the load. I just shove my Yeti 35 back there. Or just set the cooler on top of the stove.

And my most handy addition.....A plastic coffee can with a piece of paracord attached and a roll of TP inside. tethered to my center
hatch.
jfraymond

Post by jfraymond »

I kinda went overboard but mine has a rudder, anchor trolly, came with the flag light, put a t bar behind seat on divider with 3 rodholders, made custom crate/icechest, hummingbird sidescan depthfinder, and a bazzilion DIY things. and my small 25 yeti cooler fits the tankwell like a glove if I wanna keep ice longer.

Since your just starting, in addition to the regular safety gear... a milkcrate or small cooler, and a rod holder for your gear tracks will get ya started. Anchor trolly and stakeout stick are convenient as well. as for fishfinder everyone will have there own preference... just have to take a look at them and decide which features ya wanna have.