SLP 09/28/16

Spoonbill

SLP 09/28/16

Post by Spoonbill »

Hit bay side at SLP with good tide movement. Tons of baitfish being harassed on top, but also lots of dead grass moving low. Caught a dozen- mix of small reds, black drum, and croaker.

Really wanted to work tandem Gulp mullet along the bottom, but there weren't a lot of clean stretches of sand or mud. Would find a short stretch, work it for a bit, then a sheet of grass would creep in and I'd have to move. Ended up with one keeper flounder and 4 small ones. I took a look at the gulf side and it was pretty calm and clean, but I didn't fish it.

If you're fishing passes might wanna consider what the vegetation is doing right now. Been so long since grass fouled up my fishing I'd forgotten it was even a consideration :) Anyway, topwater bite was probably good but I was only in the mood to drag bottom.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: SLP 09/28/16

Post by karstopo »

Are you talking about cordgrass or submerged grass? Sounds like cordgrass. If that's true, I hate to hear it. I was out Tuesday in a marsh I hadn't been to in a while and noticed a lot of missing cordgrass. This persistent high water is taking a toll on the cordgrass in areas I fish.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Thanks for the report. I've been wanting to try fishing SLP for a while.
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

Cordgrass. Lots of it. It was all around that big island in the NE corner of the pass. Don't know the name of it. Anyway, I would imagine it was also that way on the Cold Pass side.

Good news is aside from the cordgrass sheets the water was clear, bait was everywhere, and the habitat seemed real healthy.
pandocalrissian

Post by pandocalrissian »

thanks for the report and conditions info, good stuff