Thinking of braving the cold and Hittting Cypress Saturday

Rotag

Thinking of braving the cold and Hittting Cypress Saturday

Post by Rotag »

Just wondering how far down the rapids are. Not sure I want to wade with it in the 60s.

Anyone else want to go
Last edited by Rotag on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Thinking of braving the cols and kitting Cypress Saturday

Post by jhb »

Are you asking about Cypress Bend Park in New Braunfels? Considering your location, I'll assume you are.

About 250 yards downstream of Cypress Bend Park is the first and only set of rapids between you and the confluence with the Comal (there is a small set about 50 yards below that which you can paddle up fairly easily with water flow above 150 cfs). The Comal is about 600 yards below this. You'd be able to go almost a half mile upstream in the Comal before you encountered the Warnecke dam/rapids. If you continued past the Comal on the Guadalupe it would be about another half mile before you got down to the mill bridge and a low head dam with mandatory portage (river right; don't run it).

Coming back up towards Cypress Bend you can portage either side pretty easily and stay fairly dry (knee deep water if you hug the bank). River right (left side going upstream) has a small island and a sleuce from an old mill race. I usually walk on top of the concrete of the sleuce and lead my yak with a drag rope. River left (right hand side going up) is mostly small rocks and would kinda require leading your boat over those rocks.

My $0.02... go for it. With the rapids being so close to the put-in/take-out, I usually muscle through the cold water and deal with it. The last few hundred yards is the only time you'll be wet (unless you turtle :lol: ). On a side note... Academy sells waders for fairly cheap. You can come across them for $60-$75, and as long as you don't leave them folded in direct sunlight, they'll last a few years without cracking and leaking.
Rotag

Re: Thinking of braving the cold and Hittting Cypress Saturday

Post by Rotag »

haven't taken my pro angler down rapids yet :) been working nights my brain is fried I may go tomorrow also in the after noon
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I agree with everything Jhb said. With a Pro Angler, you might also have to wade up the smaller set of riffles below the main rapids. Usually, with a little effort, I can paddle up them even in higher flows, but it might be too shallow to effectively paddle a Pro Angler. Like Jhb said push through the cold as it will probably be near the end of your trip anyways. Better yet get a pair of waders and you will be just fine!
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

Looking at waders