Lake Boerne is a true test of fishing patience...

gatorboots

Lake Boerne is a true test of fishing patience...

Post by gatorboots »

So, I have fished around Austin for the last 8 years after spending the first 25 years of my life in Louisiana crushing fresh and saltwater species. That brief history will provide some context for my post. I consider myself an avid, experienced angler with a healthy humility regarding nature's complexity. I agree with the age old mantra: It's not catching...it's fishing.

I've fished Lake Boerne twice in the last four weeks. On each occasion, the water was clear (visibility about 4 feet), surface temperature was around 90, time was afternoon, very windy, and it was bright sunlight. I worked the bank with various light-colored jigs and spinner baits casting to the flats then retrieving while working the the slope or fish finder indicated structure. I rigged some weedless options once I encountered the grass matts allowing the artificial to dive into the grass, then pop out. Worked various top waters within the protected enclaves, tree cover, and pitched under docks.

Maybe 7 bites total, but I did see a beautiful 6 point buck and 3 doe directly across from the launch which made it all worth it. I asked for their opinion, but they turned their backs on me.

Please share your experience with this very unique and beautiful place.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Lake Boerne is a true test of fishing patience...

Post by texnomad »

I have not fished there but have a couple of friends that do now and then. They claim dark worms slow on the bottom is the key for LMB.
gatorboots

Post by gatorboots »

texnomad wrote:I have not fished there but have a couple of friends that do now and then. They claim dark worms slow on the bottom is the key for LMB.
I will give it a try again. I was fishing a few dark brush-hogs on the bottom, but it is worth another shot.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Keep it real slow, no slower than that. No that is still too fast.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I can't give you any specific help because I've never fished there. I've cut my teeth learning to fish on local hill country rivers that are generally very clear and tough to fish. I prefer to use light fluorocarbon leaders because they are supposedly invisible under water. As for lures, I prefer smaller lures in natural colors. Watermelon baby brush hogs are a favorite. I also like smaller bluegill and shad colored crankbaits.

I've learned these clear water tactics fishing rivers but I'm sure it would carry over to lakes as well. I hope this helps and good luck!
robjm09

Post by robjm09 »

Been to Boerne a few times, and I can say that it is a cool little lake. I would recommend, since the water is so clear, "match the hatch". That should increase your bite ratio.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

BCL is a great lake, use to go a lot right up until they started charging entrance.
Best fishing was up in the creek.
I went through a lot of Motor Oil curly tail worms there.
BrandonFox

Post by BrandonFox »

BCL is great in the fall. The ticket is small and natural.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

The biggest key to Boerne lake is to keep at it. I used to live closer and fish several times a month. If you stay up on the current patterns it can be a fun lake to fish with lots of fish though generally on the small side. Here's some general tips. Fish the dam,concentrating on changes like weed patches, corners, any wood. Fish the broad flat across the lake before it enters the creek bend. Fish dropoff and weed lines, like stated above, slowly. Don't be afraid to throw topwaters. Most folks don't use them out there but they can be great.

Winter fishing can be tough, especially those blue sky post front days. If you are easily discouraged you might avoid it til spring. By March the action should get good again.
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

I have not fished Boerne for several years. Electric Water Boy and I did a survey about 6 years ago and determined that there were two fish in the lake and both were well fed so it was hard to get a nibble.

Seriously, they are had to catch except for 3 to 5 inch sunfish.

Been spending a lot of time in Haiti teaching disaster-resistant home construction for the past several years so have not had time to kayak or to fish.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I'll second a few sentiments... especially the light line in clear water. Drop down to 6# green mono leaders or similar fluoro. Clear water fish are smart and can see you typically long before you get to them. Be careful of the shadow you cast. Don't let your lure make a huge splash near the location you suspect the fish but cast past them if you can. If you're casting to the bank, don't be afraid to toss a weedless option on to the bank and drag it in to the water. Keep your paddling/kayak ripples to a minimum when approaching their cover and hides. You're going to have to be stealthy.

Put environmental conditions in your favor also. Fish tend to be more brave on overcast days. Fish tend to feed heavier before a front blows in. Fish tend to stack up on the wind blown side of water. If it has been cold/overcast and we get a sudden burst of sun and clear skies, the fish will try to warm up- focus on small patches of shade that are near intense sun on shallow water. They love to get up under a thin weed/leaf mat in direct sun to warm their back while they look down into the sunlit water. This is a perfect opportunity to SOFTLY cast directly into the suit area on the edge of their leaf mat and just let the lure fall to the bottom and sit. Sometimes I'll let it sit for 20-30 seconds before I slowly reel in slack and feel for a bite adjustment by the bass. Sometimes the bass are soft lipping it, traveling with it, then swallowing it, so watch for your line to move. As you let the lure rest watch your line for small twitches. If you see travel or twitch, slowly reel down on the slack and feel the taught line for the bet adjustment.

Good luck!