Llano River and Perdernales River

LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

I spent the weekend in the Hill Country and while I didn't take a kayak, I did take some fishing gear and fish from the river bank. Caught my first smallmouth bass this trip as well. I fished the Llano river down stream of the dam near the bridge on TX16. The bass here we found were small but hit hard for their size. All of these were caught on small straight spinners. We fished the Perdernales River at Perdernales Falls and used grasshoppers and crickets on smaller hooks and caught large bluegill, with one and two pound largemouth and smallmouth bass. Those river fish fight hard for their size!
LocoSeamonkey

Re: Llano River and Perdernales River

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

I forgot to attach this picture.
Attachments
IMG953725.jpg
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Nice report, it sounds like a nice weekend. I agree I would take a river bass over a lake bass any day. Btw from the picture that looks like a Guadalupe bass the state fish of Texas.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I need to visit that river some day. The Colorado in Columbus, where I usually stalk river bass has sucked since it blew out a few floods back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

Zackthefisherman wrote:Nice report, it sounds like a nice weekend. I agree I would take a river bass over a lake bass any day. Btw from the picture that looks like a Guadalupe bass the state fish of Texas.
do you think so? my Nephew said it was a smallmouth and his much more of a bass guy than me. I only caught my first bass ever a few weeks ago, so I am learning.

I can't hardly tell the difference between the bass species.
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: RE: Re: Llano River and Perdernales River

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

LocoSeamonkey wrote:
Zackthefisherman wrote:Nice report, it sounds like a nice weekend. I agree I would take a river bass over a lake bass any day. Btw from the picture that looks like a Guadalupe bass the state fish of Texas.
do you think so? my Nephew said it was a smallmouth and his much more of a bass guy than me. I only caught my first bass ever a few weeks ago, so I am learning.

Here ya go...
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outd ... tification

@cigarsnjeeps
Zackthefisherman

LocoSeamonkey wrote:do you think so? my Nephew said it was a smallmouth and his much more of a bass guy than me. I only caught my first bass ever a few weeks ago, so I am learning.

Sorry I’ve been busy the past few days. I identify Guadalupe and Smallmouth bass by looking at their patterns. Guadalupe bass have distinct horizontal lines on the belly like the one in your picture. Smallmouth’s don’t but have vertical bars that cover almost the whole width of the fish. If it has vertical bars that go into horizontal lines then it’s probably a hybrid.

That’s the way I was taught so I could be wrong.

Zackthefisherman

Here are a couple examples.
Smallmouth:
My brother caught this one and I really don’t like the way he is holding it but it’s a great example.
Hybrid:

I can’t find a good picture of a bass that I’m confident is a Guad and not a hybrid but hopefully this get my point across.

Attachments
DSCF9230.JPG
20140724_150744.jpeg
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

thanks for the information!