How to fish bayous and marshes with grass and heavy cover?

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

How to fish bayous and marshes with grass and heavy cover?

Post by Drifting Yak »

Was out fishing the other day in an area that had plenty of open, shallow water with patches of grass scattered along shorelines as well as out in the open areas. As expected the predator fish were hugged up against, and into, the grass molesting bait fish. Am no expert on marsh plant species but these were long patches of intertwined fingers that were mostly just below the surface. They would break easily and gather on pretty much anything you'd pass thru them (not the straight, straw like blades of grass but more of a tangled web). We did manage some nice fish but it was a grind and sometimes a real pain. We were using plastics.

So here's the question: What techniques, rigs, baits etc. work well when fishing these grassy areas?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: How to fish bayous and marshes with grass and heavy cover?

Post by Ron Mc »

What you're describing is where I would use a fly rod. Mono nylon leader to float, fluoro tippet to sink, and fly weighted with nothing more than bead chain. The presentation is spook-free, your only threat is lining the fish, but if you're doing it right, again, the fly line is between you and the fish, and far away from the fish.
The only slow-sinking bait rig I throw is TSL grasswalker, and these rig weedless enough that you can get them right out of the grass (compared to a treble hook on, e.g., Yozuri floating/sinking hard plug).
You're right in karstopo's home turf.
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

I'd start with rigging something like an Owner Twist Look hook with the plastic of your choice. Might take note from the bass fisherman out there and do a weedless Texas rig. I've personally caught bass in heavy cover with a small circle or J hook weedless in a plastic worm with a split shot a foot above for casting.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/owner- ... lsrc=aw.ds
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I think Ron nailed it on the set up to use and I fish heavy shell far more than grass. Smooth, more neutrally buoyant and weedless is the key in grass isn't it? Loon Knot Sense is a product to try to smooth over any grass catching knots and connections. Any time in cover, I look for opportunities where the cover is less or thinner. Pick your spots and have some offerings that are weedless as possible and have some different buoyancies on the lures. You might need something that floats or something that sinks quickly to exploit a hole in the cover. I can't think of a place where I've fished where the cover was completely uniform and equally thick in all places. If the fish are buried in thick and tangling grass, I don't really know what to do. Wait until they move?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Drifting Yak wrote:So here's the question: What techniques, rigs, baits etc. work well when fishing these grassy areas?
Weedless rigs, TSL.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The thing about a fly rod, with a bit of fishing practice, moderate distance, say 50' (and a progressive taper rod), hitting a quarter-sized target is not out of the question - you already control the length of the line - it becomes rote that you can put the fly over and over on that quarter.
Fishing a river cut bank, it's nothing to put your popper right on the corner where the water touches the clay (which draws the Big bluegill). You're working a fixed length of line in the air - even if your cast is over 40', shooting a bit of line, you've already laid out that length of line to work, and that's exactly the distance you're going to cast - and you further fine-tune it by the pinch of your line hand.

A fly rod is a lot more accurate, and has more close control than any other tackle - dipping your fly into the only available notch in the grass line never disturbs the fish. If you come up short, picking it up and adding a foot to your cast also doesn't disturb the fishing.
Many times casting to visible fish - even when they see you - you get a half-dozen or more presentations to get their attention. If they move out of your range, it's usually because their grazing is taking them that direction, and you still may get the chance to follow and try again.
The splash of a heavier bait near fish that are buried for cover may have the opposite effect of what you want - drive them deeper instead of turning toward your offering.

I've had several fish impale themselves on a TSL grasswalker as soon as it touches the water - splash included - I think it's a quality in the lure action that makes it look alive and like natural bait when it enters the water. But still, with spooky fish, and sight-fishing, nothing beats a fly rod.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks for the pointers gents. Have only tried fly fishing a few times and never from a kayak. Might have to expand my gear and give it a try!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

If you're going to fish sitting from the kayak, rather than standing, may want to look at the Cabela's CGR 7/8 fly rod - it's an inexpensive-enough start, and handles the fishing close part much better than longer graphite rods.
Glass is also easier to learn on, because the casting process is slow, you better feel the rod load, so it talks to you.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

How about this one for a light non fish spooking presentation in the grass. A mono weedguard could definitely be added but the hackle would probably be enough to prevent the bulk of possible fouling.
Add description
Add description
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

nice shrimpy fly there (I still like my kicking shrimp fly, because it breaks the surface tension immediately)
LSP552

Post by LSP552 »

I really like Zoom Super Flukes rigged weedless. Other great options are the Buzztail Shad from Producto:

https://www.productolure.com/index.php? ... uct_id=275

The Bitters Bait Little Swimmers is another lure that can be rigged weedless and tossed directly into the grass edges:

https://www.bittersbaitandtackle.com/in ... uct_id=337

I’ve caught a ton of redfish on all three options, fishing in South Louisiana.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I like going old school and throwing a Johnson silver minnow, just like we did 40, and some guys even 60-95 years ago.

They slip through most grass without picking up enough junk to ruin the action. And, unlike when I was a kid- you can get more than silver or gold.

Decades ago, when I fished N. Padre Island, we generally threw gold Johnson Sprites if there were no weeds, and gold Johnson Silver Minnows where there were weeds. Or we threw tout rigs or live shrimp. Period. But time moves forward...
Attachments
Johnson_Silver_Minnow.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

silver minnow is a great choice, and imitates a crab just as well as baitfish
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Great ideas so thanks. Will give some of these a try next week (I hope!).
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

Tell how you did at the next PACK meeting! Chris
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Going to test a few things tomorrow and dang glad I came back to re-read this post. Almost forgot a spoon! Have one now....and am also going to try a Ribbit Frog across the grass.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

An old school lure which was extremely popular 15 years ago or so and hasn't been talked about much since then are frogs. The Stanley Ribbit and Zoom Horny Toad were very popular (and a fad) to throw for reds in shallow water.

Other popular bass lures from 15 years ago were buzz baits (specifically Booyah Dancin' Buzz) and crankbait (specifically Mann's Waker). Crankbaits are the only one which really stuck, but I digress.

Anyways, give a frog, either soft body or hollow body a try in grassy laden water.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Drifting Yak wrote:Going to test a few things tomorrow and dang glad I came back to re-read this post. Almost forgot a spoon! Have one now....and am also going to try a Ribbit Frog across the grass.
Haha, I skimmed to the bottom and didn't see your post about a frog. Go for it.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Seeing some great suggestions, will these artificials work on spinning reels?
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Artificials will work on spinning or casting reels. It’s really a personal preference.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Ok, going to try and irritate the inmates :) what size circle hooks are you guys using?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Kalait wrote:Ok, going to try and irritate the inmates :) what size circle hooks are you guys using?
A bit off topic, but #1 or 1/0 Owner Mutu Light depending on the size of the bait.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Neumie wrote:
Kalait wrote:Ok, going to try and irritate the inmates :) what size circle hooks are you guys using?
A bit off topic, but #1 or 1/0 Owner Mutu Light depending on the size of the bait.
Neumie, sorry for the off-topic, however, I needed the information and the only STUPID question I know of is the question unasked! We are following several threads and you can easily surmise I am new to saltwater fishing. I am rerigging my yak, resorting gear, and paddling the local lakes to expected trip lengths for BTB When someone posts soft plastics, I presume they are putting them on hooks or some terminal tackle. Thanks for your understanding.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Kalait wrote:Neumie, sorry for the off-topic, however, I needed the information and the only STUPID question I know of is the question unasked! We are following several threads and you can easily surmise I am new to saltwater fishing. I am rerigging my yak, resorting gear, and paddling the local lakes to expected trip lengths for BTB When someone posts soft plastics, I presume they are putting them on hooks or some terminal tackle. Thanks for your understanding.
It's ok. I think it'd be a good idea for you to start a new thread for questions as it may get more views and responses, especially if BTB is what you're wanting to do.

This is what I use in the bay as I don't do too much BTB fishing:

For soft plastics most use an jighead in the 1/16, 1/8, and/or 1/4 oz weights depending on depth and possible water current. For weedless presentations I prefer Owner Twistlock 3x in weighted or un-weighted depending on presentation. But any swimbait hook (again, weighted or not) would work.

For live bait I use a a kahle hook for shrimp under a popping cork and a circle hook for croaker or pinfish when fishing a carolina rig. Typically a #1 or 1/0 for either hook style.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

LSP552 wrote:I really like Zoom Super Flukes rigged weedless. Other great options are the Buzztail Shad from Producto:

https://www.productolure.com/index.php? ... uct_id=275

The Bitters Bait Little Swimmers is another lure that can be rigged weedless and tossed directly into the grass edges:

https://www.bittersbaitandtackle.com/in ... uct_id=337

I’ve caught a ton of redfish on all three options, fishing in South Louisiana.
What hooks do you use with these soft plastics?