Ya aren't missing nuthin... Low tide at Sea Isle

impulse

Ya aren't missing nuthin... Low tide at Sea Isle

Post by impulse »

For anyone wishing they could be fishing in West Bay or the beach today, feel better knowing you aren't missing anything.

One photo is the beach, with me standing on the 2nd sandbar.

Another photo is the Sea Isle bird sanctuary, looking from the fishing pier. I was kayaking out there on Friday.

The other photo is the water temp at San Luis Pass, showing it dropped to 41 degrees for an hour.

You know it's bad when one of the local rescue boats got stuck in the sand. No photos of that... It's too embarrassing.
Attachments
SLP wtr temp.jpg
SLP wtr temp.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Bird Sanctuary.jpg
2nd Bar.jpg
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Ya aren't missing nuthin... Low tide at Sea Isle

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for these shots, Impulse.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I stopped at a launch yesterday I’ve used for years and the water might have been the lowest I’ve ever seen it
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

The pictures I've seen are pretty low. That's what a strong northwest wind can do with an already low tide.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I tried to post some more shots, but forum won't let me do it.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

So, when I upload the attachment and then submit it, it wipes out the post and takes me back to the same place where you can reply to a post.

Let me try another way with ImgBB (this is Clear Lake from the Air): https://ibb.co/VBXyL3Q

And check out this awesome video: https://youtu.be/3Ir7STYl-KA
Attachments
Clear Lake Dry.jpg
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Why doesn't the TapaTalk app work anymore for TKF?

Is the site still suffering from technical glitches? The lack of recent fishing reports tells me something is wrong. Duh
impulse

Post by impulse »

In fairness, I've seen very few boats and virtually no kayaks since it got cold a week ago. So I wouldn't expect too many fishing reports.

The guides that I know who did fish after the low tide tore them up- putting their guys on a ton of fish. But that was over a week ago- last Monday. Not much activity on the West Bay out of Sea Isle this past weekend.

On a topic for discussion... I generally trust the NOAA people to get it right, but I cannot help but wonder if the temp gauge came out of the water, exposed to the air during the extreme low tide and that's why there were a couple of hours of bone chilling temps? Anyone got any input?
Attachments
SLP wtr temp.jpg
SLP wtr temp.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That water temperature reading was just a few degrees above the air temperature that same time frame. Looks like the air temperature bottomed out on January 16th at 35.8° 13:36 GMT. The water levels bottomed out at -2.42 feet at 14:18 GMT. The water temperature bottomed out at 40.5° at 13:24 GMT.

Super Shallow wind whipped water cools off quickly would be my best guess.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The wind peaked January 15th at almost 40 knots from 306°. By 13:48 GMT on the 16th, it was down to 13 kts at 299°, but that was about as low as the wind had been for 24 hours. The damage got down, all that heat in the ever shallowing water was getting sucked out by the strong winds and falling air temperature.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I've heard some good reports on trout. My daughter and her boyfriend got on some good trout Monday fishing out of the boat.

The Rona virus paid a visit to our house and has kept me locked away for the time being. Mostly just cold symptoms, but no one wants to be around someone that they know has Covid, not that they aren't running into people all over that don't have it. I don't feel like fishing anyway, not as cool as it is. Maybe next week.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the analysis on the water temperature, gents. I think shallow wind-whipped water is the answer, too.

Karst - you and the family take care. I feel like it has been too could to fish also, so I have been using this time to get ahead on stuff at work. Maybe next week.
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

Looks terrible for fishing.... great for metal detecting!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

impulse wrote:In fairness, I've seen very few boats and virtually no kayaks since it got cold a week ago. So I wouldn't expect too many fishing reports.

The guides that I know who did fish after the low tide tore them up- putting their guys on a ton of fish. But that was over a week ago- last Monday. Not much activity on the West Bay out of Sea Isle this past weekend.

On a topic for discussion... I generally trust the NOAA people to get it right, but I cannot help but wonder if the temp gauge came out of the water, exposed to the air during the extreme low tide and that's why there were a couple of hours of bone chilling temps? Anyone got any input?
The advantage to being able to get to water on those super-low tides, the fish will be stacked in the closest hole.
California Hole on Estes is always stacked with fish and lined with guide boats on a winter blow.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Ron Mc is right. I took the skiff out yesterday and found some outgoing tide draining into deeper holes, and also trolled a bayou with holes and flats adjacent. We pulled out double limits of trout (18-23 inches), three slot reds, 10 rat reds, and 5 sand trout. Most of the trout came from the deeper holes, but others (along with the rat reds) hit while trolling more shallow water that was warming up under the nice sun. Fish were caught on Vudu Shad, Down South Glo Chartreuse and a Chicken Boy with a white bottom and brown top.