Fly Rods & Reels For Sale in Fishing Gear Classifieds

TexasJim

Fly Rods & Reels For Sale in Fishing Gear Classifieds

Post by TexasJim »

Put 3 fly rods & reels in the Fishing Gear Classifieds. I have a 7-1/2 foot rod that I can use sitting in my kayak, so I don't need the 9 footers. Rods are like brand new. Would ship, but would prefer FTF in the Coastal Bend. Thanks, and stay safe! TexasJim
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fly Rods & Reels For Sale in Fishing Gear Classifieds

Post by karstopo »

Too bad I'm not in the market for a fly rod.

What 7.5' rod are you using? I too like shorter rods in the kayak. Less hassles all around.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Hey, karst: At Ron Mc's suggestion, I bought a Cabela's CGR 7/8 wt. glass rod. I think must have gotten the last one in Texas at BPS in Grapevine in September. I haven't used it but a couple of times so far, and haven't yet bought the Cortland Guide 7 wt. line he suggested. It seems like it's gonna work OK. I'm sure any shortcomings will be the fly slinger, not the rig.

Liked your flies and the big bass pic you posted a day or so back. I've tied a few very amatuerish flies I wanna get wet. Mostly been buying a few flies they recommended at the Orvis shop here.
Waiting on a nice day, when the wind's not quite so heavy to try again.

TexasJim in Rockport
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I like my 7/8 weight CGR rods. I've got 2 of them. Once had 3, but gave one away and wished I hadn't. Some people don't like them, whatever, different strokes for different folks.

Some of those earlier graphite rods were amazing and a joy to cast. I don't know about the ones you are selling, but in general, earlier graphite that I've cast has been nice. Not so blessed fast and with enough mass for some nice feel and touch.

I bet someone will buy them. Heard the used or vintage flyrod market is hot.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

karst: I was wondering about the three 9-foot eight wt. rods I have. I put all three on my truck tailgate, propped them up and weighted down the butts. All the rod tips were the same height from my driveway. I hung a 1 ounce weight from the tips and measured the deflection. The SCOTT drooped 6 inches. The ST CROIX drooped 4 inches. The BASSPRO("fiberglass, graphite reinforced") only drooped about 1-1/2 inches. Didn't surprise me, as the BASSPRO felt much stiffer than the two graphite rods. I WAS surprised at the difference between the SCOTT and the ST CROIX. My casting with them makes me like the action on the SCOTT much more. A very non-scientific conclusion.

Come on down the coast when the weather gets better. I have two fishing kayaks and a 14-foot flats/poling skiff with a 15 Yammer, and a flat foredeck for casting. "I know how to live, I just don't know how to afford it!"

TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Since every thread needs a photo...