Wondering?

TarponTime

Wondering?

Post by TarponTime »

Been gone a few years moving about the states in the W.P.P. . What became of the ones that used to post alot on here. Mysticman(i think) and others that fished upper coast?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Wondering?

Post by Neumie »

Many have slowly migrated towards other social media platforms. Some of the older posters to TKF have either moved on to other hobbies or just not as active as they used to be.

TKF has had some swings in participation, but hopefully as it warms up we'll see more activity on the forum.
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

Gracias
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I’m coming up on 60 years old and still love lugging the kayak around. I feel better after an outing in the kayak out on the water than at any other time in my life. My goal is to be in my Commander 140 when I’m 80, hopefully with a strong pulse. Maybe that kayak could be my coffin someday, seems fitting. I abhor Facebook and haven’t been on that platform for 10 years. Forums seem the way to enjoy a particular interest with others. I like to fish alone for the most part, but enjoy reading about what other kayakers are up to. The world can do it’s very best job of going to hades and as long as I can get out after some fish in the Commander, I’ll be able to shut out the worst of it.

Many People seem to want to graduate to a power boat, but all you get for that is a lot of extra expense and hassles and some additional range. They don’t make you better at finding fish, that’s for sure.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

karstopo wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:24 am I’m coming up on 60 years old and still love lugging the kayak around. I feel better after an outing in the kayak out on the water than at any other time in my life. My goal is to be in my Commander 140 when I’m 80, hopefully with a strong pulse. Maybe that kayak could be my coffin someday, seems fitting. I abhor Facebook and haven’t been on that platform for 10 years. Forums seem the way to enjoy a particular interest with others. I like to fish alone for the most part, but enjoy reading about what other kayakers are up to. The world can do it’s very best job of going to hades and as long as I can get out after some fish in the Commander, I’ll be able to shut out the worst of it.

Many People seem to want to graduate to a power boat, but all you get for that is a lot of extra expense and hassles and some additional range. They don’t make you better at finding fish, that’s for sure.
I'm not one of the OGs, but this is me too. I have been slowed down recently but anticipate posting a lot more this year.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Glenn, you have the advantage of snagging those nice afternoons the rest of us can't schedule in a trip.

We're enjoying your posts already this winter.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

I'm old enough to that my 1st kayak was a Mainstream from Academy...though it was the shiznitz LOL When fishing Town lake ( now LBL) in Austin, it was rare to see another kayaker....nowadays, on a sunny afternoon, one could walk across the lake on kayaks, paddleboards, etc without touching the water :lol:
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Many many many years ago I heard people started going to Facebook and that was the reason TKF basically died. I always found that hard to believe as FB and a discussion forum couldn’t be anymore different. I lasted on FB for a few years but hardly ever used it as its not really compatible for discussions like on forums. So I guess most fisherman are just no longer interested in this for whatever reason. What I usually do when I need to know something fishing related I just google it. Sometimes it takes me here, although the info can be years old. Just take what you can and apply some recent knowledge and you can usually find what you need.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I suspect it will be much more active on here pretty soon. I owe the board a report from last week.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

We all sometimes wonder why TKF participation lessened over the past 3 years. Covid-19 obviously changed a lot in our daily habits, and a migration to Facebook didn't help, but I lament all the TKF "lurkers" who read the posts but never file one themselves.

Yes, it's a bit of work to post your fishing trips or share fishing information, but it makes the board stronger and more useful to the members.

I post a lot because I'm "retired," have a big ego, and enjoy sharing my wild & crazy life with others. It's also a way to meet new people. Bottom line, I post out of love.

Get the lurkers to post and TKF will thrive with new activity.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Don has a good point - check the thread read count on the index pages - this forum gets visited more than any other I know.
The trick is getting people to contribute.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, Ron. And if the big-handed Cuervo Jones ever returns to TKF, I'll let him post his long, never-ending fishing reports without a word of criticism, lol.

TKF can use all the posters it attracts.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I think forums like this present a much better product than FB or IG. Less trolling and show-off pictures with no info. It is a form of narrowcasting I have come to appreciate.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Travis, I see you're new to TKF. Welcome to the addiction. We fish hard and some of us do law hard. If you do need a lawyer, call Shoffer (see below).

You get extra points for filing actual posts and helping stirr up this gumbo.

And yes, unlike Facebook, we try to limit all the "SHOW OFF" photos. Looking forward to meeting you on the water. ImageImage

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Those wishing to kayak till age 80..., have heart.

A 2003 heart attack prompted a major change in my life. I was fortunate to have been engaged in a business that gave me satisfaction and enjoyment, from day one. Having survived a rather serious heart attack seemed to find me in the throes of several epiphanies. I didn't feel like working any longer. As one who immensely loved the game of golf, I had no further interest in the game. Hunting was a passion since age 13, but after, what was my first hospital experience, The thought of killing an animal made me nauseous. I suppose a psychologist would be enthralled with the reasons involved, but I was too busy moving on to give it much thought.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I purchased my first plastic SOT from the only kayak shop in Houston, Canoe Sports. Along with the boat, I got a Werner Kelliste paddle that, after all those years of exclusive and very hard use, looked like new when I recently gave it to a good friend.

The following years found me spending most fair weather weekends with my PACK group. The fishing and camping experiences we shared are emblazoned within my mind's eye, and will be constantly relived till the fat lady sings.

I've spent many weeks in Mexico and Central America indulging in my passion for bonefish and permit fly fishing. The extensive traveling around the US with my bride offered many opportunities to tempt fresh water trout to one of my flies.

It's been a fantastic ride...,not over by a long shot..., but, an open heart sugary two years ago, appreciably slowed my arse down.
I've left the physical kayaking behind, and spending six hours in an open boat fishing the Caribbean flats, is best left to memories.

So, kayaking at eighty was my goal, and I made it with ease. If I can do it, I assure you, that it's a task most can obtain...,and well worth every minute spent with your butt in a kayak.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thank Dandy.. I started this username becasue I couldn’t locate my old one. I have been on here since 2008 :shock:. I fished with Tombo a couple times and hot pocket a lot in college. I hope I don’t need a lawyer… :?

I WONDER what y’all think about the kayak traffic on the water? I haven’t seen a decline but I would say a steady consistency or maybe even a uptick. I think kayak fishing will always be a niche, but the popularity tends to come in waves. I have young ones and the thought of a boat has drifted my mind… usually while I’m drifting on my kayak… and then BAM I get a redfish on, crab walk him to me, enjoy the moment in my little plastic boat, almost like the whole thing was meant just for me! Haha kayak fishing the flats is so rewarding, efficient, and fun… why would I want to add a loud cumbersome boat? I do love me some powerboat, but the flats are best fished walking or paddling.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Kayak Kid, thanks for sharing your sublime kayak and life experiences with us. As another old guy I can sympathize with your desire to act now while we still can. On our deathbeds we shall remember our best times fishing and relating to favorite people, not our best days in the office, ha ha.

Keep 'em coming, brother.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Travis, you proved your kayak credibility when you mentioned fishing with Tombo. Welcome back, friend. Glad to see folks posting on TKF and hope to meet you on the water.

Ask around and find out that I'll solve your legal problems while telling you fabulous true stories that make you laugh. I'm dandy and randy.

It's almost Summer, men. Let's GO GET SOMEImageImage. Image

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

P. S. Like you, Travis, I've seen the kayak traffic ebb and flow since I started yak-fishing in 1990.

It seemed to peak out about 12 years ago when I saw at least 20 kayakers at every daytime spot I launched. TKF was also about 5 times as active then as now.

But now I don't mind having the yak fishing spots to myself and my Hobie Navy men. Sometimes we'll see Yak Boi out there, but the traffic has ebbed. Nevertheless, I also hope the sport sells enough product to remain vital.

Looks like I'll be looking for a new or slightly used Hobie Outback replacement within a year. Contact me if you hear of a deal.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I agree, 12 years ago it was crazy. It has definitely leveled off some. I am now seeing skiffs with 2-4 young men holding fly rods. I new that day would come and it is here… I assume it will leave just as fast. Every time I see them they are talking loudly while scanning the waterline looking for that TAIL :lol: .
Nonetheless, I would like more manufacturers (probably not Hobie) to go back to the basics. I recently bought a OK Caper… its minimalist to the core. Light weight, fast, very easy setup. I can stand in it, 🦀 walk, and load it on top of my vehicle. Easy setups and less hassle keep people on the water. Kayaks today can be more complicated than a used outboard.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 15, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Travis W. wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:19 am I agree, 12 years ago it was crazy. It has definitely leveled off some. I am now seeing skiffs with 2-4 young men holding fly rods. I new that day would come and it is here… I assume it will leave just as fast. Every time I see them they are talking loudly while scanning the waterline looking for that TAIL :lol: .
Nonetheless, I would like more manufacturers (probably not Hobie) to go back to the basics. I recently bought a OC Caper… its minimalist to the core. Light weight, fast, very easy setup. I can stand in it, 🦀 walk, and load it on top of my vehicle. Easy setups and less hassle keep people on the water. Kayaks today can be more complicated than a used outboard.
A Hobie can be as simple and minimalist as you want it to be. I can load my Revo on top of my Sequoia in about 5 minutes, throw the mirage drive, seat, crate, rods, and paddle in (I actually keep it all but the rods stored in my vehicle) and be on the road in 10 minutes. It takes me 5-10 minutes at the launch to be on the water and underway.

Takes about the same time for me to do the same with my T160.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I watched a 30 Miles Out video(Ty Henderson) the other day. A guy came from Dallas, and it was blowing 25, and they left the Old Town and Hobie pedal yaks home, and took out an old Tarpon 140 and an Ocean Prowler 15, so they could sit side-saddle and crab-walk in the 12-inch water. Light, low freeboard, easy to control. It's a shame they don't make many kayaks like that anymore!
I think kayak fishing is still growing. Lighthouse Lakes parking lot is full every Saturday. Being retireded, I rarely fish on weekends, so I never see the crowds. And Mondays, the fish are still spooked from the weekend yakkers. Catch 'em up! TexasJim
impulse

Post by impulse »

TexasJim wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:56 am ...
I think kayak fishing is still growing.
Seems to experience a bump every time fuel prices go up.

I think more people would get into it if there was an easier path to trying it out and learning. But my understanding (open to correction here) is that anyone guiding a kayak excursion has to meet the same onerous requirements as guiding in a 25' power boat. That's a high hurdle...
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

That’s is some talent Watson… my experience with this situation has been different.