Mellow-Yellow

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 25, 2022 SATURDAY****

Post by Mellow-Yellow »

Looking forward to this years trip. :D
savoltage

Post by savoltage »

Hell yes!
Ive been wanting to get offshore so bad but never wanted to go solo as ive only done inshore and lakes.

Cant wait to see yall there!

Now to start getting gear ready to go. Ive got a shearwater 125 with a peddle drive and bixpy so I should be good there.
As far at rod/reels I dont really have much super heavy duty stuff. I do alot of redfishing with the Penn Battle III's. I do have a Penn Rival setup that I believe will handle it much better.

Do you run two lines at the same time?
What lbs braid are most of yall running?

If you had to make an offshore essential tackle box what are you putting in it?

Already have the safety stuff (vhf, pfd, leashes ect.) Also have a smaller front cooler from academy. I think a Magellan.
Lima Charlie

Post by Lima Charlie »

Yeaux! Put me in, Coach. I'm ready to play!

Darren E (aka Lima Charlie)
Wargossm

Post by Wargossm »

We’re interested in going:

Mark Goss
Matthew Goss
Justice Goss
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

My question is, I will be sleeping in a hammock on the beach. What stakes do you use to stake out tents and hammocks on the beach in the sand? :D :horse:
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

For staking tents on the beach a auger style tent stake works well but can be hard to get out. If you have a freestanding hammock (that has it's own frame) I would just put it on the downwind side of your vehicle and you'll be fine no staking should be needed. I've done this with my tent cot and it's been fine. If it's just a hammock and you need to drive poles in the ground to hold it up that's going to be a chore.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

SWFinatic wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:36 pm For staking tents on the beach a auger style tent stake works well but can be hard to get out. If you have a freestanding hammock (that has it's own frame) I would just put it on the downwind side of your vehicle and you'll be fine no staking should be needed. I've done this with my tent cot and it's been fine. If it's just a hammock and you need to drive poles in the ground to hold it up that's going to be a chore.
Thanks, I will set up my hammock and photograph it for you for better advice. I set it up now on clay soil and have no trouble, but have never set anything up on sand.
arrowsmack324

Post by arrowsmack324 »

Sounds like a blast count me +1 in! Never been BTB down that way im always fishing the upper coast.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

If I can make it I will be there Blake.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Prof Salt, I have ordered 2 colors of both lures. Hoping they find a hungry fish this summer. :!:
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I’m interested in getting a line in the water for the first time in TX, but need to sort out lots of stuff between now & then.

What kind of gear?
I have everything from ultralight trout stuff to 40-60 # tuna gear.
What is the water depth? I listened to a podcast that mentioned that there were 3 sandbars to cross. Is my Hobie Outback going to run aground? Is there any benefit in bringing my sonar?
Other than these things called Kings, what might one catch? Are these Kings or King fish what most places refer to as King Mackerel? What measuring board is preferred? I used to have a hog trough and it cracked the third trip out. Are there any recommended hotels nearby? I trashed my tent before leaving OR last month.
Is there a fish cleaning station nearby?
Is it all trolling or are there bottom fish like Red Snapper to be had?

Unrelated, but why do people call them Reds? They don’t look red to me.

Dave
andrewthanhvu

Post by andrewthanhvu »

Can my brother and I get added to the list?
-Andrew
-Benjamin

Thanks for organizing this event it sounds awesome!!
JakeFortenberry

Post by JakeFortenberry »

Add me to the list, I plan on being there.
Jake Fortenberry
JakeFortenberry

Post by JakeFortenberry »

Kalait wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:22 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:36 pm For staking tents on the beach a auger style tent stake works well but can be hard to get out. If you have a freestanding hammock (that has it's own frame) I would just put it on the downwind side of your vehicle and you'll be fine no staking should be needed. I've done this with my tent cot and it's been fine. If it's just a hammock and you need to drive poles in the ground to hold it up that's going to be a chore.
Thanks, I will set up my hammock and photograph it for you for better advice. I set it up now on clay soil and have no trouble, but have never set anything up on sand.
Two tripods and a metal pole
"Turtle dog". YouTube "diy portable hammock stand"
Cheap and works great in sand.
product19

Post by product19 »

I’ll try and make. Probably drive down from Houston the day before. Never been BTB in my kayak before so here’s my chance. Looking forward to it.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Hey, does anyone have an extended forecast? It looks doable on Monday the 20th, but what about the 25th?
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Volkswatson wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:10 pm Hey, does anyone have an extended forecast? It looks doable on Monday the 20th, but what about the 25th?
We can see the Weatherunderground 10-day forecast which will include 6/25 tomorrow. Praying the wind and waves lay down so we can go out. I may go anyway and paddle in an empty boat for a few hours.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I see through Saturday 6/25 but that's just a guess. Winds are tough to forecast which is why NOAA only includes winds in their 5 day forecast and not in their extended forecast. Anything that far out at this point is a guess. Currently showing 3 footers for Saturday the 25th.
savoltage

Post by savoltage »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:32 am I see through Saturday 6/25 but that's just a guess. Winds are tough to forecast which is why NOAA only includes winds in their 5 day forecast and not in their extended forecast. Anything that far out at this point is a guess. Currently showing 3 footers for Saturday the 25th.
Hopefully its nice out, Ill be down there Friday-Sunday so hopefully something will come through.
Asalgado

Post by Asalgado »

If anybody in the Austin area plans on attending and has room for one more yak I’m more than willing to help with gas, especially these days.
bkinnamon

Post by bkinnamon »

Count us in for next weeks trip.
savoltage

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 25, 2022 SATURDAY (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by savoltage »

Hopefully Sunday works. Ill be down there Friday AM - Sunday PM regardless.
Al Bode

Post by Al Bode »

Anyone else heading down from the DFW area and interested in ride sharing? I drive an F250 and hopeful the Bob Hall gig will be planned for Sunday… and would
like to stay through Monday and fish MP, returning Monday afternoon.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

For those new to this, I recall anything more than about 2.5' @ 4sec intervals is a no go, but ultimately it will be called by Blake. I think 2 at 5 is working in the better direction. Also, it's all mostly in the surf where these impact first-timers the most. What I have learned most the past 2 years doing this is to get to the second set sand bar and where it starts to drop off just wait on one side of your yak (never stay behind the yak, just keep your yak pointed into the sets). At this point work on having your rudder deployed and drive in and ready. I have found that worrying about the drive and rudder and attempting to paddle (for those with foot power) is not the best. You really should have enough depth to be safe. Just time the sets and when a calm begins, be as quick/swift as you can enter your yak and then hit your propulsion hard and keep that nose straight into the sets. Once you establish some momentum even 3 footers you will be okay. Once you are past the 3 bar things calm down quickly and you are good. Coming back I have yet to ever try to surf my yak in (I've seen a few turtles and I don't want anything to do with that). I'm just way too cautious. I typically jump in just before the 3rd set at a bias to current and my vehicle on the beach. It's good to radio any folks that have already beached and ask if the current is running north or south. Once in the water I quickly remove my drive and ensure it's leashed or locked in/up and raise my rudder, then move the the aft of the yak and hold on tight to my lift handle. The waves will start slowing bringing you into shore. I have wondered if doing this could every backfire and send you back out due to current/tide. Of course if this is the case it's as simple as getting back in and repeating. I'm going to try and make it, but I'm pretty busy with pre July 4th travel plans. We'll see. If I don't make it and this does go down I wish everyone the best of luck and a safe trip.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I think you're correct in using peddles after the first bar as long as you have flipper style peddle drive like Hobbies have. This may or may not work for rotary style peddle drives like Old Town and Native have especially when the tides are lower like they are now. The risk is getting a rotary style peddle drive stuck in the bar then you're a sitting duck.