Lighthouse Lakes

TexasJim

Lighthouse Lakes

Post by TexasJim »

Launched from the Harbor Island Road shore across from Marker 1 about 7 AM. Someone(San Patricio Navigation District?) has cleared away about 75 yards of trees, to provide a parking and water access like the main launch at Marker 60, but very primative; dirt, no real "ramp", tree stumps. But, you can park maybe 15 vehicles, and no trees to give the catalytic converter thieves cover. It's a start, and a nice improvement for accessing the Marker 1 entry, which I prefer.

There were probably 7 or 8 kayaks I saw fishing that area. No one I talked to about 10 AM had caught anything. I parked my yak on the grass flats in the entrance and began casting into the channel. I immediately caught a Subway Red(foot-long). Pretty soon I caught a 25 inch Red, followed by a 22 inch Red. I had one similar on, but he spit the hook. Couple more Subways, and it was over.

The grass in that part of Lighthouse is thick, and almost everywhere. Last Winter, the grass almost disappeared, but has come back strong. Very hard to fish it. Lots of fish in the grass, but they're bottom feeding, and I couldn't get a lure down where they were. I didn't see any Mangroves that looked alive. Sad.

Off the water by 1 PM, as it was very hot. Beats being home. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Lighthouse Lakes

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks for the report Jim.
Also for the details on Harbor Island parking.
I've seen the falling tide at Marker 1 pass blowing out like a river.

We've also caught jacks on the channel slope when spring and fall tides bring them up Aransas Channel.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks Jim for the report. I was in Lighthouse a couple Sundays ago and saw all the grass. We didn't do as good as you. The grass is thick like that in all back lakes I've been in from Bayside to Fence lake in the past month or so. Glad to see it back but it does make those areas really hard to fish. Think I may have to turn to the frog at some point before long.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thanks for all the information. This is the first time I have seen the grass like this back in LHL. Probably will funnel people to other areas that don’t have it. The fish may enjoy the break from all us yakers. Probably will be really good fishing LHL/South Bay in the winter/spring. I may go exploring oyster reefs and shorelines of Copano around Rockport.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kitsune wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:05 pm I may go exploring oyster reefs and shorelines of Copano around Rockport.
It's not all unfishable but many back lakes have grass like in LHL. I think your plan is a good one especially with the lower tides.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

FYI: I kayak fished the Italian Bend marsh by Cape Velero about three weeks back, and the grass there was thick, thick. The water was about 1-1/2 feet deep and the grass was up to the surface and bent over almost a foot. I didn't need an anchor. When I stopped paddling, the kayak stopped moving. In six years here, I've never seen it like this before. Hopefully, the grass is feeding and nourishing the baitfish, and they are feeding the gamefish.
Last week, I fished the north side of Swan Lake at the west end of Copano Bay. Same story.
TexasJim
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yep Jim same here. I was up in Bayside couple weeks ago and in part of the back lake I was in grass covered the water. Saw the same the next day in LHL and last month in a couple of boat trips every shallow back lake had at least part of it covered up with grass. I've been fishing down there off and on since late 90's and don't remember seeing like this at least this early in the year. I think it's great for the fish. Not so good for us. Most things happen for a reason...
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Dang! Even Italian Bend… shoot. I looked at the airport road and Aransas Pathways launch spots on Copano “proper” and they look decent. Bummer for summer fishing, but hopefully great for winter/spring