*****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUGUST 18th, THURSDAY, 2022 (((((UPDATES)))))*****

niswanger

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 25, 2022 SATURDAY (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by niswanger »

SWFinatic wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:32 pm I think you're correct in using peddles after the first bar as long as you have flipper style peddle drive like Hobbies have. This may or may not work for rotary style peddle drives like Old Town and Native have especially when the tides are lower like they are now. The risk is getting a rotary style peddle drive stuck in the bar then you're a sitting duck.
Good point and I have zero experience with rotary style. I do knot they draft more and don't have the "tuck-up flipper" style method of propulsion. That being said, it really takes some good paddling strength to keep direct momentum into the waves. Also I believe high tide is around 5AM so that's good for us this weekend.

-Roy
nworley

Post by nworley »

I don’t think I would be able to make it Sunday, but I could go Monday. If there ends up being a group that does Monday that wouldn’t mind letting a beginner tag along, let me know. (I’ve done BTB before, just at high island).
Jlang

Post by Jlang »

Will there be another one from Surfside anytime soon?
product19

Post by product19 »

I can do Saturday but not Sunday. Waiting on the final call tomorrow (Thursday).
TexasDrew

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 9, 2022 SATURDAY (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by TexasDrew »

Please add me.
Yakety_Yak

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 9, 2022 SATURDAY (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by Yakety_Yak »

TexasDrew wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:00 pm Please add me.
Got ya added. To everyone, be watching the updates. I will post my next update this Sunday. Have a great upcoming weekend, Happy 4th of July, and be safe!
jnd1959

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUGUST 6, 2022 SATURDAY (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by jnd1959 »

I haven't been down in years. I may try to make it since the date changed.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Man, this is the year of wind and waves, that's for sure. I plan to try an go once before the Aug. 6 date (either beach access rd. 3 (south end of Mustang Island State Park) or Mayan Princess beach marker 80 (both providing more platforms/structure to fish). But man the surface/wind conditions are just not laying down.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Any update.

My crystal ball looks to show Aug 6 may not be optimal conditions still. Winds are stubborn this year right?
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

John Hall wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:41 am Any update.

My crystal ball looks to show Aug 6 may not be optimal conditions still. Winds are stubborn this year right?
So far your crystal ball concurs with mine.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

So we went and did practice runs yesterday at Port A jetty area.

Question to the group. Getting out and beyond the breakers was not too horrible, albeit a bit sporty and challenging at a few spots. Peddle out was FAR easier than paddle.

Coming back in....different story all together.......dumped it every last try. My son (age 13 and knows it ALL, may be right this time though) made it back in each time without dumping, suggested laying WAY back in the seat. My issue was on a 13' yak, the aft would rise up and the nose would stick, turn and DUMP. ANNNNNND I have a decent goose egg on the forehead to prove it :(

Brief description of how to come back in please. peddle drive engaged and peddle it out and/or back in? Rudder or paddle to keep it straight. Seat in high or low position?

TIA.

J
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I’m no expert but my experience has been drive pulled and rudder up and use my paddle to steer and keep me surfing the wave in. I have only been BTB a handful of times but have managed to stay upright the past three times doing it this way.

And FWIW, my teenager has never turtled. I suspect it is because he is lower to the water and is in an Outback whereas I am in a Revo.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

John Hall wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:00 am So we went and did practice runs yesterday at Port A jetty area.

Question to the group. Getting out and beyond the breakers was not too horrible, albeit a bit sporty and challenging at a few spots. Peddle out was FAR easier than paddle.

Coming back in....different story all together.......dumped it every last try. My son (age 13 and knows it ALL, may be right this time though) made it back in each time without dumping, suggested laying WAY back in the seat. My issue was on a 13' yak, the aft would rise up and the nose would stick, turn and DUMP. ANNNNNND I have a decent goose egg on the forehead to prove it :(

Brief description of how to come back in please. peddle drive engaged and peddle it out and/or back in? Rudder or paddle to keep it straight. Seat in high or low position?

TIA.

J
Here's a video on how I recommend coming back in for beginners regardless of what kayak you have. It is affectionally known as coming in Pamela Anderson style or backwards. Yes it takes a little longer but at least you're not as likely to spend the next 30 minutes looking for gear in the surf after you turtle. Depending on what kayak you have and your level of skill once you get more comfortable with the surf you can try coming in like you were.

https://youtu.be/6zNM2ANJyTw
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

I've only been BTB 5 times (Mustang Island) using Hobie Revo 13 with Side Kick Amas, Hobie PA14, and now Hobie AI and so far every time coming in I pull my drive, keep it leashed, pull up my dagger (AI and leashed) and raise/lock rudder and jump in and hold onto the rear handle just at the first break in the surf. I has taken me on average about 20 minutes to make it to shore this way but so far I haven't A. Been eaten by a shark. B. Lost a single item. Good tip is to understand how the current is running relative the the shore and when you come in choke up to the upstream side of that current. So far that current has never changed direction on me but it has changed strength from stronger in the morning and weaker coming in to vice/versa.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

SWFinatic wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:20 pm
John Hall wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:00 am So we went and did practice runs yesterday at Port A jetty area.

TIA.

J
Here's a video on how I recommend coming back in for beginners regardless of what kayak you have. It is affectionally known as coming in Pamela Anderson style or backwards. Yes it takes a little longer but at least you're not as likely to spend the next 30 minutes looking for gear in the surf after you turtle. Depending on what kayak you have and your level of skill once you get more comfortable with the surf you can try coming in like you were.

That’s pretty darn brilliant!! Gonna give that a shot I think!

Appreciate ya!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

John Hall wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:35 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:20 pm

TIA.

J

That’s pretty darn brilliant!! Gonna give that a shot I think!

Appreciate ya!
You bet I've used this method in a Hobie Pro Angler in 4-5 foot swells and came in with no issues. It does work.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

John Hall wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:00 am Coming back in....different story all together.......dumped it every last try. My son (age 13 and knows it ALL, may be right this time though) made it back in each time without dumping, suggested laying WAY back in the seat. My issue was on a 13' yak, the aft would rise up and the nose would stick, turn and DUMP. ANNNNNND I have a decent goose egg on the forehead to prove it :(

TIA.

J
Seat in lowest position.
savoltage

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUGUST 14, 2022 SUNDAY (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by savoltage »

Saturday/Sunday this weekend looking pretty good so far.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Hope Sunday weather holds
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Can't make this weekend, more normal work I can't get out of, so I decided to take my son this past Mon/Tues:

All assessments by the OP "aka Yakety_Yak" have been spot on. I've now gone BTB near Bob Hall (beach access rd. 3) twice in the past month and a half at the same spot near Beach Access Rd. #3. Both times the surf was about 2.6ft at 5 seconds along with 10+mph winds. This for me anyway is about the cutoff and I'm not a well-seasoned BTB guy but this is my 3rd year of doing this. The interesting difference though was the first round at the end of June was closer to 3ft at 5 secs but the water looked better, not as murky as this past Tues. with slightly lower surf condition's. The first outing I caught one 48ish in King and had another run me into the rig, both on the largest 1.5oz saltwater rattle trap. Another guy caught a decent King too. This past Tuesday the bite was off, but we did have some shark entertainment (check out the end of the second video showing my son hooking up with a 4' spinner shark as I got it jumping out of the water. It look every bit of 5', what do you think?

End of June BTB Beach Access Rd. 3 area:

https://youtu.be/c0AJcc4sfbA

This past Tuesday 8-9-22 BTB Beach Access Rd. 3 area:

https://youtu.be/BJlJWOECMug

-Roy
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

@niswanger Nice footage of that spinner getting air. My son said when my first kingfish ever hit my line last year that it went about four feet in the air. All I heard was the splash. Wish I had cool footage like yours.
niswanger

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUGUST 17th or 18th, 2022 (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by niswanger »

Well good luck to all if it happens this Wed/Thrus. For me it's college move-in days and to add to the busy mess I'm picking up another Hobie AI on actual move-in this Thurs. Don't ask me how that went over with the mother (aka social director) of the son we're moving in...LOL.
savoltage

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUGUST 18th, THURSDAY, 2022 (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by savoltage »

Bummed I cant make it Thursday. Work owns.
Yall have fun. Ill catch it next time!
John Hall

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUGUST 18th, THURSDAY, 2022 (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by John Hall »

John Hall and Sean Hall are in for Thursday Aug 18th
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

John Hall wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:32 pm John Hall and Sean Hall are in for Thursday Aug 18th
Got you guys added. :)