I do enjoy paddling

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

I do enjoy paddling

Post by Prof. Salt »

For lots of folks, kayaks serve as a method of getting to fish, but for me the little boats are much more. At first they were a method to get to the fish alright, but then I began to exercise with them, and workouts got a whole lot more enjoyable. When I get off work and the winds are blowing I rush home and take the kayak downtown to the marina, paddle into the open bay and then surf downwind to the Lexington museum. Then it's time to "pay the piper" and fight back upwind to the truck, but it's all part of a fun workout in my book. When I get off the water, the day's stresses have melted away and I'm ready for some dinner and family time.

Aside from wearing out the connection piece on some expensive paddles (I've worn out three Werner carbon paddles over the years), there doesn't seem to be a downside.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fhDrVhyjfGI[/youtube]

Kitsune

Re: I do enjoy paddling

Post by Kitsune »

Some may compare the paddle to the bow… I really enjoy paddling even though I have paddled sub-optimal kayaks most of my life. However, I did receive a new Werner paddle and I will be hopefully trying it out this weekend. The OK Caper isn’t bad on tracking or speed, but she’s a wet ride 8)
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Me too, Prof. Paddling was at least as enjoyable as was the fishing. And I love fishing.

Thanks, in great part, to extensive kayak paddling, I remained fit enough to continue long distance paddling, fishing, and camping out until age eighty one. After 14 years of very extensive use, my only paddle, a Werner Kallistite, bent handle paddle never played out, and looked almost new when I recently gave it away.

A near bursting aneurysm, caused by a hereditary aortic valve problem led to emergency open heart surgery. The surgeon said that such an operation, as was necessary, would not usually be recommended for a man my age, but considering my excellent physical condition, he encouraged me to have it. As such, I thank kayak paddling for giving me the next twenty years or so of this wondrous thing called life. While, kayaking is no longer in the cards, the memories accumulated in blazing colours within my mind's eye will endure for ever.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I'm glad you got through the surgery KK - aneurysms are not an easy problem to deal with from any angle. I'm hoping that kayaking continues to bless me with good health, but even discounting those benefits it has been a wonderful way to stay close to nature and active outdoors. Cardio fitness, balance, core strength and flexibility have all improved by spending time in the seat of kayaks. So has my mental outlook on the world. I just try to shed a positive light on what I think we can agree is a terrific way to get some exercise (as well as a very effective way to bring home fish).
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

At 65, both my shoulders have rotator cuff tears from years of physical labor. If I do my exercises for them (youtube them if you suffer) then paddling a few miles is doable. There's no way I could paddle like you do Prof, thus my moniker and kayak (motoyak).
I still really enjoy the solitude of a good paddle but....
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

motoyak wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:09 pm At 65, both my shoulders have rotator cuff tears from years of physical labor. If I do my exercises for them (youtube them if you suffer) then paddling a few miles is doable. There's no way I could paddle like you do Prof, thus my moniker and kayak (motoyak).
I still really enjoy the solitude of a good paddle but....
I have also been the recipient of a few "lemons" in life and we have to learn how to live with whatever issues come. I was lucky to overcome the nerve damage to my left arm that almost kept me off the water. I'm glad you've still got a way to enjoy the water.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Inspiring stories from KK and moto! Thanks for sharing.