question on fishing liscense

motoyak

question on fishing liscense

Post by motoyak »

So if I buy an annual resident all water pack on Aug 15th, does it go into effect Sept 1st or is it valid from date of sale until August 31st of the following year? Site is clear as mud....
motoyak

Re: question on fishing liscense

Post by motoyak »

nervermind, after a few calls, Academy says only the super combo hunt and fishing go on sale Aug 15th. All others need to be bought on Sept1st.
Bummer for me these next 18 days will cost me $10 for a salt endorsment :roll:
Last edited by motoyak on Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Is your license still current?
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Yes, till Aug 31st but it is only for freshwater. I didn't expect to fish salt until Sept but here I am in Victoria
impulse

Post by impulse »

I went into Academy last year with 2 weeks left on my license. I was in town and figured I'd get it done while I was there. No dice. I had to wait until it expired before they'd sell me next year's.

Mine runs from January to January. I recall many years ago they all expired on the same day of the year, but I can't imagine the mad rush on that one day of the year when they all expired.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Look at the bright side, if you were out of state, it would cost you $10/day to fish anywhere - if in Virginia, $45.

As Impulse pointed out, you can pay that $10 more up front and get an anniversary license, which is good from the day you buy it until the same day the following year.
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

When I bought my 2022 senior's all water fishing license on August 15, 2021 my license states that it is valid from August 15, 2021 through August 31, 2022. You can

If you buy your new fishing license on August 15, 2022 it should be valid from August 15, 2022 (or whatever date you purchase it) through August 31, 2023.

From the TPWD website:

Frequently Asked Questions About Licenses

When do new-year licenses go on sale?

August 15. Most recreational hunting and fishing type license packages are valid from date of purchase in August (August 15 and later) through August 31 of the following year. Most commercial type licenses may be purchased starting August 15 of each year for the following year but are not effective until September 1.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

rbdavis3591 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 am When I bought my 2022 senior's all water fishing license on August 15, 2021 my license states that it is valid from August 15, 2021 through August 31, 2022. You can

If you buy your new fishing license on August 15, 2022 it should be valid from August 15, 2022 (or whatever date you purchase it) through August 31, 2023.

From the TPWD website:

Frequently Asked Questions About Licenses

When do new-year licenses go on sale?

August 15. Most recreational hunting and fishing type license packages are valid from date of purchase in August (August 15 and later) through August 31 of the following year. Most commercial type licenses may be purchased starting August 15 of each year for the following year but are not effective until September 1.
I would tend to agree rdavis and that is what I thought however....
because I do have a valid liscense that expires on Aug 31st, I can't renew until Sept 1st according to Academy.
Clear as mud huh :lol:
impulse

Post by impulse »

motoyak wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:00 am I would tend to agree rdavis and that is what I thought however....
because I do have a valid liscense that expires on Aug 31st, I can't renew until Sept 1st according to Academy.
Clear as mud huh :lol:
You'd think the smart thing to do is allow people to re-up for next year at any time. Money's money, after all. Even if they just allowed you to renew when you're within a month of expiry...

Maybe you can do that online, I don't know. Never tried. But Academy's computer (connected to and controlled by TPWD, I assume) wouldn't let them renew mine when I had 2 weeks left on the existing one. So if I wanted to go fishing the day after it expired, I had to get the license on my way to the water.

Someone at TPWD apparently isn't thinking. If they were, I'd be able to buy my next year's license today and they get the free use of my money for that time.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Yes, just tried at local Acad, no go getting a annual liscense because Im still valid for a couple of weeks. Bought a $10 stamp for 18 days so Im a legal beagle :roll:
I actually came out better on the deal.
Had I bought an senior resident Year-from-Purchase All-Water Package on or after May 1st, I'd had paid $47 for 13 months (may1,2022-May 31, 2023)
As is, I'll pay $44 for 16 months (May 2022-Aug 31, 2023)
impulse

Post by impulse »

Interesting comment from another thread about the PACK meeting with a TPWD guest speaker...

Meeting at 6:30 at the Mendenhall Community Center 1414 Wirt Rd; Houston, TX Bring your questions to Vinicias. And note, TPWD License Renewal starts next Monday Aug. 15, go into effect Sept. 1.

https://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/v ... p?t=255032
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

This costs $5 more when you buy online. I'm not sure what the Academy point may be.
(btw, it costs $5 to drive to Academy)

Year from Purchase All-Water Fishing Package (Resident Only)

Fishing license, a freshwater endorsement and a saltwater endorsement with a red drum tag are all valid from the date of purchase through the end of the purchase month of the next license year.

I guess this thing isn't on.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

motoyak wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:23 am Yes, just tried at local Acad, no go getting a annual liscense because Im still valid for a couple of weeks.
Since it is not August 15th yet (at least here in Texas) the 2022-2023 fishing licenses cannot be sold until it is actually August 15th.

If you try to renew today the system will not let you do it because if it actually gave you a license that license would be the 2021-2022 fishing license that would expire in one week on August 31, 2022.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Just purchased 2023 season. I really wish they would do a "big-fishing draw" like they do for hunting. Win a snapper trip, trophy trout, or in-shore fly fishing category kind-a-thing.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

so, were you able to get JUST a fishing liscence or did you get a super combo? Does the dates on your new liscense show fron today aug 15 2022 to aug 31 2023?
impulse

Post by impulse »

Kitsune wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:42 am Just purchased 2023 season. I really wish they would do a "big-fishing draw" like they do for hunting. Win a snapper trip, trophy trout, or in-shore fly fishing category kind-a-thing.
The difference between hunting and fishing in Texas is that 99% of Texas water is open to anyone, where about 1% of Texas land is open to the hunting public, and a lottery is the ONLY way a lot of Texans can afford to hunt. I'm a much bigger fan of Texas water regulations than our land regulations when it comes to public recreational access.

I don't know the veracity of the linked data, and I've heard it is up to a whopping 3% of Texas land is available for public hunting without paying for a lease. In either case, it's pretty bleak for low income Texas hunters who can't afford a lease. In fact, it's cheaper to travel hundreds of miles to hunt public land in some other state.

https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/p ... ting-land/

Besides, they'd have to do several draws... One for the lucky fishermen, and another for the guides who get the business. Because favoritism would never happen, right?

BTW, I'm not trying to be demeaning... Just trying to conjure up a little polite banter to increase activity here on TKF.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

motoyak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:19 am so, were you able to get JUST a fishing liscence or did you get a super combo? Does the dates on your new liscense show fron today aug 15 2022 to aug 31 2023?
Just All Waters from 08/15/2022-08/31/2023
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

damn, I was right originally...online or in person? Also, is this your 1st Tx liscense or are you renewing an existing one? Inquiring minds need to know :lol:
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

motoyak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:31 am damn, I was right originally...online or in person? Also, is this your 1st Tx liscense or are you renewing an existing one? Inquiring minds need to know :lol:
I renewed it this morning on-line. I tried to renew last week online and it wouldn’t let me. This morning it automatically asked me when I logged in.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

I should have known those Academy people don't have a clue. My buddy just did the same as you so the definitive answer to my original question comes to light. I fished salt yesterday so I was legal abet my only catch was a short red due to 17-25mph constant winds that beat the crap outta me :lol:
Another lesson learned :mrgreen:
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

impulse wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:33 am The difference between hunting and fishing in Texas is that 99% of Texas water is open to anyone, where about 1% of Texas land is open to the hunting public, and a lottery is the ONLY way a lot of Texans can afford to hunt. I'm a much bigger fan of Texas water regulations than our land regulations when it comes to public recreational access.
I certainly agree that the hunting/public land situation is much different here than other states. I was just thinking they could receive additional revenue if they offered like a full day off-shore trip or Trophy Trout trip in Baffin like they do with the "Big Time Texas Hunts" where it is a 9 dollar entry.
txfshrmn

Post by txfshrmn »

Did y'all know you can now do everything online and just keep your phone with you in case you are stopped by a warden. They can also just run your license and see if you have a license. You also have the e-tag feature for oversized drum, etc. Just found this out with doing mine and downloading the apps. good luck and great fishing