Adopt-A-Beach 09/17/2022

Kitsune

Adopt-A-Beach 09/17/2022

Post by Kitsune »

Just reminding myself and others that the cleanups will be on September 17, 2022 9am-12pm. The links provide the registration and locations they will be at. My family and I intend on being at the Lighthouse Lakes Trails location. Remember, the fish Gods will repay you!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/texas-adop ... 4898730387

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 858774&z=8
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Adopt-A-Beach 09/17/2022

Post by Kayak Kid »

Way back when, many of us participated in the beach cleanups organised by Slowride Guide Service. I always worked the light house lakes area, and you cannot believe the pickup loads of trash that we removed from the area. One's faith in the propriety of our fellow sportsmen and women is sorely tested.

A bit of advice:
Don't say anything to those folks who are surrounded by their own garbage. I mentioned to a couple of fisherman who were knee deep in their discarded beer cans, and other assorted bits of debris, that I hoped they were going to leave the area as clean as they found it. One of them put his rod down, approached me with clinched fist, and asked me what I was going to do about it. I told him that I was going to leave and return with my two hundred pound marine corp brother and beat the "heck" out of him (I don't have a brother). He calmed down with a, "mind your own business" and I walked away. I did return...,with four other fellow beach cleaners and we all began picking up the beer cans around their immediate area. The two fishermen never said a word, but I suspected based on their red faces that were wishing for a hole to climb into.

And take several pair of heavy duty rubber gloves.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Two-Legged Pigs! I'm always amazed at what they leave behind them. I'll try to be part of the clean-up. TexasJim
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Sorry to hear that KK. I routinely pick up a big bag of trash from LHL. Usually beer cans, fast food wrappers, and the like. My hope is that if we keep it clean, it will stop at least a couple of people from throwing trash out. Being present and using the LHL launch and cleaning up after is helpful too.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Kitsune wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:07 am Sorry to hear that KK. I routinely pick up a big bag of trash from LHL. Usually beer cans, fast food wrappers, and the like. My hope is that if we keep it clean, it will stop at least a couple of people from throwing trash out. Being present and using the LHL launch and cleaning up after is helpful too.
This x 2, just clean up any trash you run accross and pitch it. Geting involved in a mass effort to clean up an area is great and beneficial to all.
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

I have to go to Dallas, if Im back in time I'll be there, or on one of the beaches picking up trash. We have found that when pick up trash on a crowded beach other people usually join in.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

We are looking forward to it tomorrow. The mosquitos are probably going to be bad at LHL park, but I think the weather will hold. Yes, I remember coming in from fishing LHL years ago and a bunch of people were volunteering picking up trash. I started to bring a bag and grabbers each go. It also prompted me to do this as much as I can. I have seen some good places closed because of trash/nefarious things going on. Just people letting it get worse without stopping it right away. For me, graffiti and trash are the beginnings, most people will clean up after themselves when an area is already clean versus an area not kept up. It is in our nature not to mess with things, even if it is already messy.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

We had a lot of fun and the show out was good. We cleaned the eastern end of LHL from the unpaved area to the bridge. We collected about 2 1/2 bags of trash just at that end. There were volunteers all the way down to South Bay Marina. My daughter went swimming afterwards and we journeyed around that area. I usually park on the west end of LHL and looking at this area one can see the shore taking away parts of the tables. Lots of good launch points at this end to the main access of LHL and the eastern entrance. We were rewarded with some lost treasure on this trip as well.
968BE0FD-539E-48C3-81AC-A8D72EFEEE87.jpeg
The next day I fished LHL and was rewarded with some aggressive fish. One redfish took the topwater right out of the mouth of a dink trout. I caught the redfish too. It was awesome watching him creep from behind and nail that trout right in front of me. At one point I was unhooking a redfish while watching a small group of reds chasing a single mullet on top of the water. It was about a 2 second episode of madness. I paddled over and got my limit 🤤. LHL was off color, but the green water held the fish. Topwaters were so-so. I used spoons mostly, but a soft plastic would have been the best. The tide was unusually high, finding fish was difficult, but once found it was easy for the reds. I believe more trout were in the area but the reds were too aggressive today and spooked many of them.
09245B53-DA33-431A-8CA6-44E813C04FAA.jpeg
7EBF7DAC-593E-40A2-B3EC-D00887DBFC0E.jpeg
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

kitsune: I came to help. No one was around at 8, nor 8:30. I had my skiff to help water-side, but about 9 I just got two big trash bags from the lady and went across the road to B & R Flats. I filled them completely up, plus an ice chest, one auto a/c compressor, one ceiling fan motor, one carburetor, lots of stuff that people could easily have thrown into a dumpster, rather than driving out on 361 to throw it on the beach. Two-legged pigs!

The LHL area was very clean when I arrived. Maybe the kayakers are cleaning up when they leave. Harbor Island Road is a pitiful pig-sty, but the lady said the Port of Corpus Christi won't allow Adopt-a-Beach to clean there. Sicced the police on them before. !!!!!!?????

It was hot and very mosquito-laden. Saw probably 400 bicyclists go by on their rally/race. Glad to have helped a bit. TexasJim
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Man that's awesome! I may have seen you there with the small boat? I was there with my wife and little girl. Yes, I have noticed LHL being overall cleaner lately. I hope people are starting to clean-up after themselves more. I pick up a bag or so from time to time. I will be doing the clean-ups as much as I can. Yeah, 361 was very active that morning. Bicycles, volunteers, tournaments, :lol: . Being present and cleaning up is all we can do. Try and maintain /create a culture of "no trace" as much as we can. Thanks again!