kayak repair

motoyak

kayak repair

Post by motoyak »

Haven't had much long term success with plastic welding so thought Id ask the brain trust. I think I read someone mentioned a Lexan glue of sorts that seals leaks? My go to for sealing old rivet holes has been Marine Goop but those have been above the water line. Ideas?
TexasJim

Re: kayak repair

Post by TexasJim »

WEST Systems makes a plastic repair adhesive that's apparently really good. Their promo video showed them sawing a kayak in half with a chainsaw, then butt-gluing it back together. They dropped it off a highway overpass about 40 feet, and it didn't crack. I'm sure it's pricey, but if it works, it's a bargain. I've never used or needed it. YMMV TexasJim
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Plastic welding it best in most cases.

3M 5200 is a below the waterline sealant dealers use on boats daily to install transducers, inlet ports, etc. I would be comfortable using it below the waterline sealing small holes. For piece of mind I would probably add a layer over each small hole with something like a small piece of Flex seal.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

TexasJim wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:22 pm WEST Systems makes a plastic repair adhesive that's apparently really good. Their promo video showed them sawing a kayak in half with a chainsaw, then butt-gluing it back together. They dropped it off a highway overpass about 40 feet, and it didn't crack. I'm sure it's pricey, but if it works, it's a bargain. I've never used or needed it. YMMV TexasJim
I believe I've used that Gflex epoxy to bond laminate countertop to a drop in SS sink. Everyone said it couldn't be done but after 4 years, it shows no signs of lifting. I did have to abraid the surfaces and flame treat the SS before application. It is definitely waterproof and sets up like a rock. I had to grind a bit of dribble off the SS because sandpaper wouldn't touch it.
I have a bit left and will report back. Thanks for the reminder!
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

FYI-used the Gflex on friends kayak with bad crack in stern. It worked like a charm! Veed out the crack, drilled stop holes, cleaned with alchohal and light flame treat with propane torch. Finished the repair with gator skin for more plastic he can grind off when he goes back to dragging :lol: