Aransas Pass to Port A September

Kitsune

Aransas Pass to Port A September

Post by Kitsune »

The changes I have noticed from August to the end of September. The tides have been higher in the mornings making fish finding a little more difficult. Blind casting at nervous bait-fish and throwing at structure both above and below the surface helps. The redifsh have been in pods usually feeding together in small areas. One area might have nothing, just dead, then you paddle into a cove and it is redfish madness. This is something that happens throughout the year, however, during the changing seasons I see them group up much more heavily. The water clarity has been a little murkier than usual but nothing too bad. The clarity tends to change with the bottom structure. If you don't find them in one area, looking around for bunched up baitfish making little ripples on the survive, especially if they are all moving together in haste. Something is around making them nervous, it may not be a tail, wake, or even a sound, but predators are probably around. To me, it doesn't make sense for bait to put themselves in bird danger unless there is fish danger. A group of 5 inch bait-fish causing ripples on the surface is not smart, something is causing it.

I have been using gold spoons and a black/gold topwater for the past year exclusively. I have no reason to switch... we have a lot of gold diggers on these flats. I also wore breathable waders the whole year (all summer) and will continue to do that. I wore them due to a cut one time and at 11am still wasn't that hot in July. The benefit of protection while not really making me hot got me thinking. I started to wonder why I was ruining nice shirts and shorts before. Jumping out of the yak, crab crawling, oysters, sun, bacteria, fish juices, and salt water are just some of the things they have helped with.. outside of not being cold.

I got a 24inch trout in a back lake of LHL sitting on a oyster bed. It was raining, early, and the fish were biting so I took a couple of not-good-photos and let her go.
Attachments
DSCF3024.JPG
DSCF3020.JPG
DSCF3019.JPG
DSCF3017.JPG
DHardy

Re: Aransas Pass to Port A September

Post by DHardy »

Great post and nice fish! What brand of breathable waders do you use that are not too hot? A lot of people don’t think about it, but if you have any type of cut or wound, use waders, a really good waterproof bandaid or both. Best!
Kitsune

Re: Aransas Pass to Port A September

Post by Kitsune »

Caddis Breathable waders from Amazon. I think they were around 80 bucks when I bought them 5 years ago. I wear a thin sock liner, shorts and a t-shirt underneath. If I get a little warm I put my legs in the water and i feel better. I fish from sunlight to 11am and really didn't get too warm. Toward the end I was a little hot but I think everyone is in Texas in the middle of summer. Now that this small front has come in and the October is here, I wont have to worry about heat until May/June. I really enjoy the benefits and plan on upgrading waders before next summer.