Fresh Ceviche

Neumie
Site Admin

Fresh Ceviche

Post by Neumie »

Here's my ceviche recipe, though I'm sure it's similar to most. I included measurements but this is very much a "Follow Your Heart" type recipe where I've estimated quantities.
  • 8 Limes (give or take depending on size of filet)
  • 1 Trout Filet; or any fresh, firm, white flesh fish
  • 1 Large Roma Tomato
  • 1/4 Small Red Onion
  • 1 Small Jalapeno or a larger Serrano
  • 1/3 Small Mango
  • Cilantro
  • Salt
Directions:
  1. Juice the Limes into a small, non-reactive bowl
  2. Dice the Trout and add it to the Lime juice (make sure the trout is fully covered by the Lime juice); stirring occasionally while "cooking"
  3. Meanwhile, dice the Tomato and Red Onion; you'll want roughly equal parts by volume
  4. Mince the Jalapeno
  5. I like to add fresh Mango and will dice about 1/3 of a small one; roughly 1/2 part compared to the Tomato & Onion. The sweetness balances the acidity of the "cooked" fish and complements the heat of the Jalapeno
  6. Grab a fistful of Cilantro, give or take depending on how much you like Cilantro, and finely dice
  7. Once the Trout filet has finished "cooking" (about an hour) drain well in a colander
  8. Then combine all ingredients in a bowl; salt to taste
Basically, the ratio I shoot for is 4 parts Trout, 2 parts Tomato & Onion, 1 part Mango, one Jalapeno, and a fistful of Cilantro. The amount of tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and mango will depend on the size of your filet; adjust accordingly.

Serve with Tostitos Scoops and, if you like, a dash of your favorite hot sauce.
motoyak

Re: Fresh Ceviche

Post by motoyak »

Thanks for the recipe Nuemi. I've eaten your cerviche and it was great!
loonycamp

Post by loonycamp »

Excellent! I'll be making this!
I had ceviche 2 weekends ago with redfish and it was amazing! But this recipe looks better because it has mango.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

My first fishing trip to Ascension Bay, back in o3, began in an over night stay at a hotel near the Cancun airport. They served ceviche as an appetizer that evening. Two hours later, I was sicker than the proverbial dog. Thought I was going to die one minute, and that I wasn't, the next. I've never been able to get near ceviche ever sense. My wife thinks it's food for the gods, and orders it wherever offered.