Rivers?

txfshrmn

Rivers?

Post by txfshrmn »

So I'm a transplant from San Antonio, but now in Stanton. Stanton is between Midland and Big Spring. I've begun looking at some of the area lakes and have fished a few in the past. My question is about rivers. Are there any rivers out here to spend the day on?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Rivers?

Post by Neumie »

Probably going to have a drive a bit to get to paddle friendly water.

The South Concho River around Christoval (just south of San Angelo) is clear water river and is a good option for kayaking. Concho River as well has good access in San Angelo. That's probably your closest options for kayak-able rivers. I drive through Ballinger at least once a year and the Colorado River there is a kayak option, not sure how it looks farther west. I've wade fished the Double Mountain Fork Brazos River near Rotan; lots of sunfish and small catfish. It could be kayaked since the bottom is pretty soft, but you'd mostly be totting it behind you.

Other than that I think you're stuck fishing lakes. Colorado City and Stillwater have some decent options. OH Ivie is a little bit of a drive, but has been producing quite a few ShareLunker bass recently.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Martin County native here. Live in Irion County now. Spring Creek here has access for launching at several of the crossings. Park in Mertzon offers some good fishing if launching downstream of Brims Crossing (north end of park). Launching at the south end (Harkey's) you can go south but will have to get over a spreader dam. Fishing the park proper is tough because it gets so much pressure. Come explore...and catch a nice bass.

It's about a 2 hour drive from Stanton through Big Lake.
txfshrmn

Post by txfshrmn »

I think I am going to go that way this Saturday. I haven't been out in...to long. My kid just ran a cross country event in Mertzon this last week and a day on the water would be nice.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Did you make it down?

This is the time of year that the bass start hammering the crawdad plastics and/or jigs.
txfshrmn

Post by txfshrmn »

I did not make it down there but I am going to be down on the Llano this weekend South of Junction. Still plan on heading down to Spring Creek soon.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Texfshrman,

I've fished the Llano several times during Aug-Sept. If you fly fish, try a #8 or #10 yellow feathered spider floater. I never failed to whup up on the Llano fish with a 4 wt and that fly.

You might check on the water conditions. I recently read that the water is unusually low.
txfshrmn

Post by txfshrmn »

I did get down to the Llano and stayed at one of the RV parks on the river. The kids had a blast swimming and floating the river. Fished for perch and catfish along the shoreline. Had no trouble at all paddling up the river for several miles. Caught a few bass, perch and a gar. Thought I saw some Nutria but turned out to be a den of beavers. Did not realize how big they can get! They had a pretty awesome network of burrows and tunnels in the embankment. Plan on going back and doing some more exploring.
Water was stained, but clearer in areas of heavier vegetation. Fished a 3/8 oz spinnerbait, white with tandem silver willow leaf blades, looking for a reaction strike around shoreline stick ups and timber/vegetation. Watermelon with red flake 4" wacky work and a 1/4 oz texas rigged watermelon red flake baby brush hog.

Really enjoyed the time down there and making casts targeting every little nook and cranny. A ton different fishing from a SOT kayak than the deck of a bass boat.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Years ago, I kayak fished the Guad around Ingram. The wealthy waterfront owners had chain link fencing strapped around the base of their cypress trees, to keep the beavers from gnawing them down. Where the land wasn't occupied, the beavers made dams, which made interesting kayaking. Only time I ever "shot the rapids". One day, there were big birds in the trees. Someone told me "wild turkeys". Never made it up to the Llano, which I regret. Really great part of Texas, with low humidity and nice weather, if you can stand the cedar tree pollen explosions. Thanks for the report. TexasJim
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Thanks for the report txfshrmn.

We have a few beavers up and down Spring Creek. Had one swim under my kayak once, and yeah, surprising how big they can be!
txfshrmn

Post by txfshrmn »

Yes the size of those beavers was a surprise. Not the size of a Nutrea, more like a medium sized dog. The nubers of them packed in a den was really cool too. When they would take off into the river and leave little bubble trails reminded me of the trails an alligator would leave down at Choke Canyon back in the coves.
I'll get down to Spring Creek before Thanksgiving. I should be off the bulk of that weekend before and week of so should be good.