Looking for info about Matagorda/Colorado river

gar_f350

Looking for info about Matagorda/Colorado river

Post by gar_f350 »

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forum. I've done quite a little bit of kayak fishing in the Llano and Lake Bastrop. We are taking an RV trip to the LCRA Nature Park in Matagorda. I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with the section of river behind the park just before it enters the Gulf. Is it worth a try or is the river too swift for a kayak? Thanks in advance for any help.
Gerald
SWFinatic

Re: Looking for info about Matagorda/Colorado river

Post by SWFinatic »

Gerald welcome to the forum! I've camped at that park several times it's a nice park. The river has some decent fishing but mostly upriver from the camp half a mile or so around the docks. BIggest issue with the river isn't the current (unless there's been a big rain) it's the boat traffic. Lots of big boats take that route headed offshore. I like to go the paddlers park (just half a mile or so up the road west of the park), launch there and head out into the back lakes. There's also St. Mary's cut little further up the road (towards town from the park) but you have to park on the opposite side of the road in the ROW and carry your kayak across the road.
gar_f350

Post by gar_f350 »

SWFinatic, Thanks very much. We are headed out tomorrow morning. I will give it a try. Mainly looking to relax. Tossing a bait and enjoying the sunshine is relaxing.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I would check water levels for St. Mary's. If you can walk out into the pool about 50 feet from shore at the launch area, it probably needs to be at least knee deep or a little higher.
gar_f350

Post by gar_f350 »

Well, I spent six hours in the lower part of the river right behind the RV park. Paddled around and chunked plastics and Sprite spoons all afternoon. Caught two flounder. Not keepable, since it was November. Still enjoyed the heck out of myself and had a relaxing afternoon. Still a whole lot better than working!
monixo9629

Post by monixo9629 »

I am new here

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk