Christmas Bay 30-Dec-2022

deptrai

Christmas Bay 30-Dec-2022

Post by deptrai »

Had the day off work so made yet another trip out for my last day on the water in 2022. I went to a different area than I had been before. The area is so big that I still have several parts that I’ve not explored yet.
The tide level prediction wasn’t much different than my previous trip, but the water level was at least 1.5’ higher. I’m learning that the wind has an effect on the water level in the bay & marsh. There were two waders that were quite a ways out from the bank.
Waders.jpg
Started off slow, but unlike a few days earlier, there were baitfish jumping all over. I fished them, but didn’t get a bite. It got a bit windy so I resorted to trolling again and connected with a 17” trout.
Trout.jpg
I made a couple more passes through the same area before moving on.

A half hour later, I connected with a just-keeper Red. Check out this dude’s eyeball!
Blind Red 2.jpg
Only one more short Red before calling it a day. I only saw one other yak out all day.
Short red.jpg
Waiting for another weekend day without wind & rain to try it again.

What was up with the website? I think it was down for several days.

Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Christmas Bay 30-Dec-2022

Post by karstopo »

Nice fish. Christmas bay is bigger than it seems, but not really so big as to be intimidating. The north shore, with excellent fishing, of Christmas Bay is certainly reachable if the weather cooperates. Be aware thick fog can and will develop from now into April. Even Bastrop Bay is a reasonable paddle or pedal away. Good fishing to be had in that bay also, more reefs and mud than in Christmas Bay.

I’ve yet to make it out to Christmas bay or anywhere for 2023, but your report makes me want to go.