1st kayak

motoyak

1st kayak

Post by motoyak »

What was your 1st fishing kayak? Mine was a blue camo Mainstream from Academy. When Id fish on Town lake (now Lady Bird lake) in Austin and I saw a kayak angler (rare), Id always paddle over to shoot the breeze. If you had a tarpon, you was the shiznitz :lol:
KingO'Dinks
Location: Motorized OK Trident/Manta Ray/Center console/Austin/Seadrift

Re: 1st kayak

Post by KingO'Dinks »

A '99 Pelican 11', it was fine as long as the waves were <1'. Took it to the beach, and by the time I got back to shore it was a U-boat. I've had 13 kayaks, and if I ranked them it would be the 15th best.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

My first kayak was a sleek Perception Prism bought from Bruce at the now defunct CanoeSports Store on Bissonnet St. That yak was narrow and unstable for me, leading to my purchase of a couple Ocean Kayak Malibu Twos, then the Hobie Outback I use now. It's been an interesting yak journey.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

My first was a really beat up 10' Ascend. I think it was stored on it's side on some boards because that thing would almost do a circle when I stopped paddling the tracking was so bad. I ended up buying a new 12' Ascend and the tracking was much better.

My kayak journey has pretty much made a full circle. Started out paddling, then added a trolling motor (so I could fish while moving) but didn't like the trolling motor. Went to peddles which was nice until my knees started yelling at me now back in a paddle yak :lol:
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I first started kayaking renting Ocean Kayaks from Wind & Wave in Corpus Christi; and borrowing Cobra Explorers & Navigators and Wildy Tarpon 100 from friend.

My first kayak is a blue 2003 Wilderness System The Ride. Still gets used exploring and fishing the backroads of the Hill Country 20 years later.

In 2007 I added a blue Perception Search 15. It's my dedicated coast kayak.

In 2008 I won a yellow Malibu X-13; sold it in 2010. No Picture of it.

In 2011 I added a mango 3rd gen Wilderness Systems Ride 135. Awesome all-around kayak which I use for overnight camping trips and guest kayak.

In 2014 I added a red Perception Search 13; sold it in 2018 to make room for my next kayak. Fished with motoyak on Town Lake the day I picked it up.

In 2018 I added another 3rd gen Wilderness Systems Ride 135 in green for my wife to use.

This is where my fleet stands now (less the red Search 13 in this picture):
2003 Wildy The Ride
2007 Perception Search 15
2012 Wildy Ride 135
2013 Wildy Ride 135
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I must have been the shiznitz then without even knowing it because my first kayak was a Tarpon 160 and man was she sleek and fast. I guess technically she is still mine, but she is stored at a buddy’s house because my two Hobies take up all the space on my rack.But man, that T160 could catch fish.
Attachments
C9DC7260-C075-4F4E-B38D-C997602236CD.jpeg
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Ocean Kayak Frenzy (Orange) 2008
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

2003 Hobie Outback (Demo model).
The Wall 11-DEC-2004 003.jpg
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Ocean Kayak Frenzy I bought April 2000, as a celebration after I got my employer to move me from contract to salary by reminding him I was about to finish my masters degree and would soon be a lot more marketable. Twenty three years later the employer is a faint memory, but the Frenzy, I still own and love her. She survived Ike when my ground floor garage at my bay house on the west end of Galveston blew out, found her in a pile of rubble across the street, undamaged. Other than having to replace a couple of the plastic tie down points that broke, and a clip for the straps in the tank well (back when they had tank wells with straps with clips rather than a square area with bungees), she hasn’t needed any repairs. Hasn’t even faded since I keep her in the garage, and just some scratches from barnacles and oyster shells.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

In 2003, having retired, in full, (after three unsuccessful tries), I decided to pursue, at the urging from family and friends, a full time plunge into my passion for kayaking and fishing. I walked into Canoe Sport and had a brief discussion with the owner (the eldest). I informed him that I was a very experienced kayaker in sea kayaks, but was interested in a boat more suited to fishing. I left with a Tarpon 160 on top of my car, a bent shaft kalistre (sp?) carbon paddle in the back seat, along with a pile of "needed" kayak/fishing accoutrements.

The many following kayaks that graced my garage during the next twenty years were all fun and serviceable, but none that much more so than that first Tarpon 160. The Werner paddle was never replaced, looks like new, and is still in service.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

An Ocean Kayak Caper was my first for a couple of years, then a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 which was a good up grade. Ended up with a Hurricane Phoenix 16 from Jerry Bs, wow! Now that was a slick ride. Just saying…..cC
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Though I borrowed Stevo's Emotion Fisherman many trips, and which Steve gave to our buddy Lou.

I'm still fishing my first and last '09 T160

Bought my now-grown daughter a Redfish 10, which is now mine for river trips.

My Kestrel SOT140 is my fast taxi to wading water, fun and fast, though needs thigh straps for balance, and not quite stable for fishing out of.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

That Kestrel looks like a long sleek arrow. Bet it's fast, but I opt for comfort and stability with my 34" wide Hobie Outback.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Hi Don, it's a riot - 5 kt is nothing, and you can do it right now.
It has no chines, and you turn by leaning the hull curve using the thigh straps.
It also oversteers badly with anything more than a touring paddle, but that's all you need for speed.
Stevo can't quite keep up with it in his Revo 16.
Also weighs 39 lbs, which makes it a sneeze to single-hand.