Stakeout pole holder on Hobie Outback?

deptrai

Stakeout pole holder on Hobie Outback?

Post by deptrai »

Since moving to the Houston area, I’ve come to rely on a stakeout pole to hold me into place in the shallow stuff. I started sticking it through the bungee paddle holders on either side of the yak. That doesn’t hold very well as the bungee stretches and doesn’t hold me in place very well. What I’ve done more recently is pull the Mirage drive and stick the pole through the hole in the hull. Better, but it still moves and bangs around.

Is there some accessory that fixes to the built-in rod holders or to a gear track type system?

I’m not going to invest in one of those electric power pole things.

Thanks,

Dave
SWFinatic

Re: Stakeout pole holder on Hobie Outback?

Post by SWFinatic »

Not that I've seen but wouldn't be hard to make one out of PVC.

I've found a stake out pole to always be in the way or just hard to keep me where I want to be even with an anchor trolley. It would either be sticking up too high because the bottom was solid or be in the way of my cast. I went to a simple 8 lb dumbell on a short leash that is attached to my anchor trolley. I keep in on the side of the kayak right behind my seat. When I need to anchor I just ease it into the water and fine tune my position with the anchor trolley.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

For where I fish here in the Coastal Bend, the bottom always seems too hard to get a stake-out pole to dig in, or, it's so soft that the pole just bends over. A dumbbell works, until it's blowing hard, and/or the bottom's so hard it just drags. I just use a 1 kg Bruce, which almost always works. My anchor trolley has an "S"-biner, instead of a ring, which doesn't require feeding the line through it. I just have loops tied in the anchor rode about four feet apart, and can clip on whichever loop I need on to the "S"-biner, depending on the water depth. Like SWFanatic, a stake-out pole always seems to get in the way of casting. I like to shift my anchor trolley position a LOT, and a bracket-mounted pole would really limit my ability to orient my kayak. My $0.02. YMMV. TexasJim
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I've never had the need for an anchor trolley prior to moving to TX so I don 't have one (yet).
I've been using the stakeout pole as a push pole too. So I push myself to where I want to be and then ever so gently spike it into the mud. I've never had the mud too soft, but have found a couple of spots that was too hard.

6' YakAttack pole.

Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Digging through some past photos, Josh's boat staked through anchor trolley ring. You can definitely use your trolley rigging to adjust your position along the stake out pole and, therefore, your aspect to the wind.

I have a dedicated spot for the short stake out pole on my boat - of course, it Never gets in the way.
These are Scotty rings in Scotty bases, the pole glides in them, and has a hook/bungee keeper to hold it in place.

Lou's long stake-out pole, bought on a trip at Tackle Town, which I still call Larry's, came with a holder that we mounted to his boat one weekend.

sorry I can't come up with a better photo of Lou's Fisherman with the stake-out pole in the holder, but this was just getting out of the boat for a look around - hadn't staked it. Showing where it's mounted along his hull - and out of the way.

I gets it the way. If you can't come up with a better answer that this whine, why post on someone's question with nothing constructive to add.

Stevo has a Power Pole on his Outback All I remember is it has some kind of quick release to remove for travel, and have to deploy the rudder before putting it in place to use.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I don't think I have a picture of it, but I also have an 8' Park-n-Pole I'll use in deeper water. I use about an 8' piece of paracord with carabiners on both ends to clip to the stake out stick and then to may anchor trolley positioned off the rear of the kayak.

I very rarely stakeout in deeper water when fishing, but it works for me.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Interesting. If you’re drifting away from your stakeout pole aren’t you much more likely to have a fish get caught on the rode? Having the pole attached to the yak itself makes it much easier to navigate when fighting a fish.

99% of the time, I want to be casting into the tide and retrieving my bait with the tide. I can’t envision a scenario in which I would want a stakeout pole at the rear of the yak.

Outback’s have paddle keepers on both sides. Paddle on one side and stakeout pole on the other. It’s almost like it was made to carry both.

Dave
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Ive used a stakeout pole b4 and found it to be only good in certain situations. The #5 dumbell on an anchor trolly works all the time in all situations. Less is better for kayak fishing IMHO
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

deptrai wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:54 pm Interesting. If you’re drifting away from your stakeout pole aren’t you much more likely to have a fish get caught on the rode? Having the pole attached to the yak itself makes it much easier to navigate when fighting a fish.

99% of the time, I want to be casting into the tide and retrieving my bait with the tide. I can’t envision a scenario in which I would want a stakeout pole at the rear of the yak.

Outback’s have paddle keepers on both sides. Paddle on one side and stakeout pole on the other. It’s almost like it was made to carry both.

Dave
A scenario for staking out to the rear of the kayak is fishing a wind blown shoreline. You'll want the wind to your back so you can cast into the shoreline where hopefully the wind has pushed baitfish into and, subsequently, predator fish looking for a meal.

However, my anchor trolley runs the full length of my kayak (see RonMc's pic of my blue Search 15), so if I need to fish casting into the current I'll run my stakeout stick up to the front of my kayak so I'm casting up current and retrieving with it. Typically, If I'm fishing a spot with high tidal movement (like pictured below) I'll get out and wade along side the current since there's usually shallow water next to it.

I've never really had an issue with my fishing line getting wrapped around my stakeout stick (or drift sock), but it does raise the risk of it.

Having your stakeout stick away from your kayak allows a buffer zone between the kayak and stakeout stick. It'll smooth out choppy waters so your kayak isn't just jerking or pivoting around the stakeout stick if ran through a side handle or scupper. It also holds better, imo.

I also carry two lengths of stakeout sticks, my 8' Yak Attack and 3.5' (ish) 1 wood driver. I'll grab whichever one I need depending on water depth.

I really don't stakeout that often as I prefer drift fishing, but all in all, this is what works for me.

deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Looks like I’m in the market for an anchor trolley system and maybe a 5# weight.

Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Josh, that photo of Steve above was our last October day on B&R flat - big beating wind that day.
Steve staked his boat and sight fished the red against the shore, much like you're describing.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

deptrai wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:05 pm Looks like I’m in the market for an anchor trolley system and maybe a 5# weight.

Dave
Anchor trolley for sure. I'm a fan of the Yak Attack anchor trolley but you can find them on Amazon for about half the cost of the Yak Attack.

You'll have to find out what works best for you. If you go with a weight I would go 8 lb. The 5 lb works for most days but when the wind does kick up to around 15 mph the 5 lb weight is a little light especially if you have a kayak with high sides or a high seat.

I did a DIY stake out pole using 1/2" diameter by 5' long fiberglass tree stakes I found at Walmart and a piece of 3/4" class 200 (irrigation) PVC pipe found at Home Depot or Lowes along with a PVC tee and a couple of caps. I glued the 3/4" class 200 pvc pipe to the fiberglass stake using Marine Goop. Held strong for years. I had all the materials on hand except for the fiberglass stake which I bought on clearance for about 4 bucks. If you went and bought everything it would still be under 30 bucks.
Attachments
5' Stake Out Pole.jpg
Stake Out Pole Handle.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

deptrai wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:05 pm Looks like I’m in the market for an anchor trolley system and maybe a 5# weight.

Dave
Good call. IMO, in order to effectively fish the Texas bays and flats you need an anchor trolley; drift sock; and and some way to anchor up.

I installed Hobie Universal Anchor Trolley on all my kayaks. The kits were way cheaper a couple years ago.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I've never done the kit route, but no holes using Ronstan orbit blocks and Shocks - the lashing makes you feel salty.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

deptrai wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:31 pm Since moving to the Houston area, I’ve come to rely on a stakeout pole to hold me into place in the shallow stuff. I started sticking it through the bungee paddle holders on either side of the yak. That doesn’t hold very well as the bungee stretches and doesn’t hold me in place very well. What I’ve done more recently is pull the Mirage drive and stick the pole through the hole in the hull. Better, but it still moves and bangs around.

Is there some accessory that fixes to the built-in rod holders or to a gear track type system?

I’m not going to invest in one of those electric power pole things.

Thanks,

Dave
Here's a few - not sure if they fit on your outback, but might be worth a try?

https://www.yakhobby.com/product/yak-ho ... ue&q=false

https://www.oneobjectivebf.com/store/p6 ... der.html#/
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

[/quote]
Here's a few - not sure if they fit on your outback, but might be worth a try?

https://www.oneobjectivebf.com/store/p6 ... der.html#/
[/quote]

Looks like one or more of those would answer my question. Based on the other feedback in this thread, a YakAttack LeverLoc HD kit will be delivered tomorrow. I'm going to have to remove my Hobie horizontal rod holder.

Dave
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Glad I didn't start drilling holes. YakAttack didn't include any pressed in nuts for the backing plates.
IMG_2549.jpg
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

:oops: sounds like a quick trip to the hardware store. Take one of the bolts with you.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

YakAttack sent me new backing plates.
IMG_2567.jpg
Anchor trolley installed and will test it somewhere in the Freeport area tomorrow.

Dave