Proving the concept

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Proving the concept

Post by Prof. Salt »

The college closes at 12:30 on Fridays, so what is a kayak fisherman to do? Of course I grabbed the kayak and headed for the bay. Winds were light and tides were extra low, but I managed to push the kayak through the shallows and get to the lake I wanted to fish. This particular lake is usually about a foot deep was literally 3-4" deep across most of the area, and just before I gave up thinking there were no reds here, I spotted one with back exposed, working his way to me. I let the wind carry me closer and when it was time, I flipped the TRD craw out in front of the fish. I moved it slowly and the fish came to a halt... the Z-man baits are buoyant, so when it stopped moving the craw stood up and raised his claws. It was to much for the red to ignore and he arched his back as he came down on the bait in a splash. The fight was brief, because the water was so shallow he basically just flopped around for a minute before I got him in the net. At 26 7/8" I had one good one on board and as I looked down wind I could see another fish working the same way. Within a couple of minutes I had drifted into range. One cast and the bait rested, waiting for the fish to close the distance. At about a foot I gave the bait just enough of a nudge to stir the mud. The reaction was fast and noisy, and again there was a flopping fish with not enough water to make a long run. This one measured exactly 27 and went into the hatch to join his buddy. I searched the rest of the lake without finding another fish, but on the way out I slowed near a drain corner and wouldn't you know it, another redfish back appeared. This fish was parked on the ledge, just waiting for the incoming tide to sweep a helpless snack past him, so I casted the craw beyond and slowly dragged it past the waiting fish. The thump was solid and this one darted into the channel. Granted, the channel was only 18" deep but that was plenty of water for a few drag burning runs. This fish measured 27 1/4" and gave me a limit of toads. I decided to work my way back since it was 6 miles back to the launch, and as I did so I was watching every likely spot for another fish or two to volunteer to play. Halfway back I approached a really shallow stretch and again, a tail flashed above the surface followed by the dorsal fin of another red. With the low winds, accurate casting was pretty easy and the bait landed four feet beyond the fish. A slow approach brought it within a foot of the red's face, and again it pounced and inhaled the bait. This fish was about 24" and was quickly released. I finished the afternoon with 14 miles paddled and three big ones for dinner. It was a pretty perfect way to end the work week if you ask me.
Imagebbcode image
mwatson71

Re: Proving the concept

Post by mwatson71 »

Well done! Those are some bruisers. I envisioned the drift, the cast, and the fights (as limited as they were). What a great time finding feeding reds.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Looks like the Redfish class was in session, Professor. Good work in that pesky shallow water with the crayfish lure. I don't have the patience to yak water that shallow, but I'm a grumpy old fisherman.

Given that your three Redfish were all slot bruisers barely under 28 inches, you would have won most Redfish fishing tournaments with that haul.

You go to the head of the class.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

That's determination! Not many kayaks will float that shallow at least with me in them lol. I love seeing them cruising with their backs out of the water. Gets me heart pumping like I'm watching a shooter buck walk in.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

SWFinatic wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm That's determination! Not many kayaks will float that shallow at least with me in them lol. I love seeing them cruising with their backs out of the water. Gets me heart pumping like I'm watching a shooter buck walk in.
Sounds to me like you get it. This is more hunting than fishing, and the possibility of failure is always high. But man when it comes together it sure is rewarding! The 555 will carry a lot of weight - I weigh 230 and still scoot through water as shallow as 1/2". I won't say that's easy, but with the slick fiberglass you can scoot until you hit a few inches of water and then go back to paddling. :D
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Prof. Salt wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:53 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm That's determination! Not many kayaks will float that shallow at least with me in them lol. I love seeing them cruising with their backs out of the water. Gets me heart pumping like I'm watching a shooter buck walk in.
Sounds to me like you get it. This is more hunting than fishing, and the possibility of failure is always high. But man when it comes together it sure is rewarding! The 555 will carry a lot of weight - I weigh 230 and still scoot through water as shallow as 1/2". I won't say that's easy, but with the slick fiberglass you can scoot until you hit a few inches of water and then go back to paddling. :D
Yes sir we spend a lot of time hunting. I even have an old pair of binoculars I’ve thought about bringing with me but since I can’t stand in my Reload didn’t figure it would benefit much.

I’ve been looking at Z mans lately since they came out with the Crabz. I like the buoyancy they have. Like most of us I have hundreds of soft plastics but don’t tho any of them has the buoyancy of the Z Man. May have to give them a shot.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Z-man baits are great, just save the packaging and store them that way. They don't play well with other plastics in a tackle box - they'll melt together into a ball of goop. They are great in the packages or rigged on a rod though, and yes that flotation is very useful in a lot of presentations.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice read Glen! Love how you give details and play by play to assist others on how to find, look, fish and patience is the key. And the fact you are a professor lets you write with clarity and precision. Enjoy reading all your posts and look forward to your next!
Out of all my fishing memories I too am stuck on the sight and cast fishing in the low water marshes or bay. Waiting for water to drain like the fish it was the wait and attack feelings that came over me. I was in such a situation as you for about 1 hour in the back of a draining "pond" & I clearly remember and enjoy that time in my life. It is all clear and I will never forget the feeling when landing them after all the "hunting" and worrying if all the water would drain and I get stuck or can I get out.
Thanks Glenn for bringing back my favorite fishing/hunting time! :clap:
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

My breathing actually increased as I read your post. I could scoot around in very shallow water in my SEDA kevlar. I remember several hunts made in very shallow, mud bottom lakes. Even had some luck in boating a few reds in doing so.