Those finicky winter crawlers

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Those finicky winter crawlers

Post by Prof. Salt »

When calm mornings and clear cool water combine in the winter months, it can mean extremely spooky redfish. There are a few good ways to target these fish and a lot of methods that will simply spook the fish. This week in the Saltwater Angler I cover two of the techniques that have worked well for me over the last few winters. If you are targeting deeper fish then summer tactics may still work, but if you want to play with those visible crawlers (and who doesn't? :D ) then here is a good place to start.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Those finicky winter crawlers

Post by Ron Mc »

good job Glenn
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Awesome job!!

I noticed you are doing a lot more fly fishing than conventional means. I have been making clousers (the only fly I learned how to make, lol) for about 20 years and not even knowing how to cast a fly rod. Shortly after I started to learn. My problem was casting forward. After many years of not being able to do this, the president of the Texas Flyfisher club helped me in one meet up. I finally felt confident to where I would be able to go fishing and be able to cast sufficiently. We just got back from fishing the other day. Unfortunately, the fishing was really slow. However, I got to not only practice throwing the line out but I was able to practice this in the kayak as well.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next read.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Good details on the spinning setup… thanks for the z-man information!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Kitsune wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:48 pm Good details on the spinning setup… thanks for the z-man information!
a Major Warning about Z-man, which are awesome lures (and Texas-eye jigheads) - Do Not mix their plastic with other plastic lures.
They use a different plasticizer in ElaZtech than other plastics use.
If you mix them, they will react and all melt together into a lump.
Keep Zman separate.

Great lures.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Ron Mc wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:16 am
Kitsune wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:48 pm Good details on the spinning setup… thanks for the z-man information!
a Major Warning about Z-man, which are awesome lures (and Texas-eye jigheads) - Do Not mix their plastic with other plastic lures.
They use a different plasticizer in ElaZtech than other plastics use.
If you mix them, they will react and all melt together into a lump.
Keep Zman separate.

Great lures.

Thanks! Those look great.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

They are soft but very tough baits. I caught over 60 trout this morning on one Diezel Minnow.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

My favorite Texas bait. Extremely durable. Not only will they melt to other plastics, they seem to stick to anything that touches them. I had one stick to the concrete floor in my garage. After I peeled it off, I set it on a powder coated aluminum shelf in the garage and it stuck to that also.

Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Prof. Salt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:32 pm They are soft but very tough baits. I caught over 60 trout this morning on one Diezel Minnow.
Lizardfish will still bite through them. They'll even bite through a TSL Grasswalker