Lithium batteries on trolling motors

Tlmcgee

Lithium batteries on trolling motors

Post by Tlmcgee »

Can anyone tell me wether or not a lithium battery will actually hurt a conventional trolling motor ?
SWFinatic

Re: Lithium batteries on trolling motors

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome! I believe as long as your lithium battery has a BMS (battery management system) it’s ok. The issue is without a BMS to control the power output a lithium battery can produce upwards of 14 volts or more for extended periods which can harm the trolling motor’s motor as most trolling motors are only designed to handle 13 volts max.

I would make sure the specs on your battery were 13 volts max.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I use one on mine, but I also took out the speed control on the regular motor and use a PWM to control the speed. It looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263033441889. I put it in a waterproof case I made and it is installed near my seat.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

LIon batterys don't hurt a trolling motor. The weight savings is substancial, they cost can be prohibitive. One thing about these batterys is they don't give you the "slowing down" effect whn getting low. They just run then suddenly stop.
Good to see Shoffer share his solution, much like mine. They do help amperage draw but Ive gone through a couple of them...they are fragile. Nice thing about the PWM is that it fails in the WOT position forward so Im not stuck
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks, Motoyak. My trolling motor build and set up is chronicled here:

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks, Motoyak. My trolling motor build and set up is chronicled here:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 5&start=25
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

I like DIY over store bought. Not that I'm cheap (much) but I enjoy the challange. Ive done 4 motoyaks over the years and my 4th and current one is a real keeper. Cost for a new Pelican Catch 120 a few years back was under 600. Even with my new 60 Ah lion battery I ended up at right at a grand. My buddy dropped over 5 grand into his Bonifide motoyak and there is no difference in speed or confort bwt the two. His loaded comes in close to #200! Mine is more like #100. I opted for the Catch 120 due to its empty hull weight of an honest #70 and capacity of #400. My battery is #14, my #30 modded TM is #17. People say the Pelican 2 piece hull design is weak but I've seen it flipping off my pop up at #70 mph just outside of Holiday beach. Thank God no one was nearby! It only sustained scrapes and scuffs, no cracks