Tandem kayak suggestion for bay fishing

Dlo_HTown

Tandem kayak suggestion for bay fishing

Post by Dlo_HTown »

Hello everyone, I hope I'm not posting in the wrong location, but since the yak I'm interested in is going to be for bay fishing, I am hoping this is the correct place to get the most responses.

I'm not really new to kayak fishing, I currently own an Ocean Kayak Trident 15 with rudder, bought it in 2010, but it hasn't gotten hardly any use at all the past 3 years. I just don't feel its right to take it out fishing and leave my wife behind while I go out and enjoy all the fun!

So I'm on the lookout for a tandem kayak that's suitable for bay fishing. Since there'll be two of us paddling (at least sometimes!) don't think I need one with a rudder although those are really great to have, but would also be great if it has room for a milk crate (to hold fishing tackle) and maybe a soft shell cooler for the mandatory beverages.

I've googled tandem kayaks, but all the manufacturers say there's is "the best", so I'd like to see if any recommendations can narrow the selections down a bit, so, any recommendations on the brand/model for a decent fishing kayak would be most appreciated. And apologies in advance if this should have been in the classifieds section.
SWFinatic

Re: Tandem kayak suggestion for bay fishing

Post by SWFinatic »

Sorry I dint have any tandem kayak advice but welcome to TKF!
loonycamp

Post by loonycamp »

I have been almost exclusively fishing the bays with a tandem set up because my wife has a torn labrum and does not want to do surgery on it.
She can paddle, but only in .25 mile stints. So I got a Nucanoe Unlimited and just like any tandem set-up there are pros/cons.
Lets start with the cons:
1) Paddles slapping - this probably applies to any yak that is 13' or shorter. The nucanoe unlimited is 12'-6" long and if the paddler in the back is not timing the stroke with the paddler in front it will lead to frustrating paddle slaps.
2) Don't hook your partner when trying to get that quick sight-cast in. No issues for us yet, but my time to cast is longer when I am with my wife than when solo, she doesn't wear much jewelry lol
3) Sync your movements, a day on the water when the wind is blowing is doable, especially in the Nucanoe but its important to get a yak that is as stable as possible
4) Reduced Speed, increased wind drag. Two people on a plastic boat is a pretty good sail, and most yaks that are good tandem fishing platforms are going to be wider, making them slower
Time for the pros:
1) I get to go out on the water with my wife, the company is the best part, and when you are on the fish the thrill is 2x. Also when waiting for a tide change its alot of fun to be able to sit and enjoy the scenery with the company. I find that it makes me more patient, leading to rewards when the fish move in
2) This is specific to the Nucanoe Unlimited, it has the option of adding a stern or bow mount trolling motor. After the first year this is exactly what we did, and now my wife controls the tiller (we are stern mount) and I get to focus on the fishing. We have exceptional range and when we go shallow over a shoal or in the flats, or sneaking up on fish I get to paddle and get my workout in, and occasionaly my wife opts to paddle as well.
3) Having a netter. If one hooks up the free set of hands to net a keeper increases success rate.

I could come up with an endless set of pros for why we love our unlimited, but the longer the list gets the more subjective it becomes to my personal needs. I hope the input helps and you should check out what nucanoe has to offer. It is not without its flaws but I find that its been a great yak for me when tandem and solo. I would reccomend to get one with the intention of adding propulsion. Paddling tandem the first year was doable with practice but we were slow and the first several outtings resulted in many many paddle slaps...
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Welcome to TKF. I'd buy a used tandem and try it out. Cheaper, and you can always re-sell it. No tandem will paddle as easy as your current yak, even with two paddlers. If it works for you and your spouse, you can shop for the right yak. They're called "divorce boats" for a reason. I wish I could interest my spouse in kayaking and/or fishing. Enjoy! TexasJim in Rockport
txanalogkd

Post by txanalogkd »

I highly suggest to get her a used solo kayak. I own two kayaks and one is a tandem, and I bought it so that I can take my kids when they were little. Now that they are grown, they or guest use the tandem as a solo. In my opinion, two adults in a kayak would be frustrating to paddle and fish.

Your spouse may not enjoy kayaking, and buying used will not hurt so bad. If she likes kayaking, she'll have her own to enjoy it.

Good luck. My tandem is a Tarpon 130T, and it's great as a solo.
Yak2Day

Post by Yak2Day »

Hobie tandem is the only way to go….I had an old town loon tandem that worked but Hobie tandem for bay fishing or fresh water fishing is the best
LagunaFisher

Post by LagunaFisher »

Get her a solo kayak with a motor. Then at the end of the trip she could pull you in.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

My wife and I paddled a tandem for years and loved it. It was a sit in so when we moved here it didn’t get much use so we sold it. Lately I have been contemplating getting another and the one that has caught my eye is the Crescent Crew. Reports show that it has all the attributes you would want and apparently paddles nice as a solo boat.
It’s nice that you want to take your wife along and that is 90% of the battle. If you work well together you can paddle a tandem together.
Dlo_HTown

Post by Dlo_HTown »

LagunaFisher wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:08 am Get her a solo kayak with a motor. Then at the end of the trip she could pull you in.
:lol: Now that's a thought!!

I find I am leaning towards springing for a foot-powered yak, and my searchings have left me impressed with Brooklyn Kayak Company PK14, which comes with TWO sets of pedals and paddles, and also has dual trolling motor option that drops into the same mount as the pedals. I like the forward/reverse option of their propeller pedal drive over the Hobie method.

I appreciate all the advice given, but I've gone kayaking with my wife before - just cruising, not fishing - she's small in stature and quickly tires working the yak paddles, so I don't believe getting her her own yak for a day of fishing would be much of an enjoyable option for her. The plus side is only needing to load/transport/unload a single yak with a tandem.

I'll definitely check out some of the other tandems mentioned already,

Thanks again everyone, keep any suggestions on brands coming, it helps!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

My $.02 worth is get her a used Hobie Revo. I bought one years ago and my son has gone BTB in it at Bob Hall (when he was 13!). It has also seen use from my wife, numerous friends, and my other two kids. It is lightweight and easy to transport and checks off every box I was looking for. I am pretty sure you can find one with the reverse drive.

I have fished from tandems and just having the extra room for casting, not worrying about tangled lines, etc., is worth it. And you can actually get closer to the other person with two yaks than you can in a tandem for the times you may need to help with wind knots, backlash, leaders, hooks stuck in a life jacket, hooks stuck in a bungee strap, and whatever else may be needed.
InsulationGuy16

Post by InsulationGuy16 »

I have and enjoy The Brooklyn Kayak single and tandem. Good seats. Your wife will want you in the same boat with her. Plus, it isnt about paddling and even catching fish as enjoying a half day on the water together. Be Cool and dont get results oriented.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

My wife and I are, after 52 years together, consistently compatible. One of the strengths, however, of oue marriage is the respect we have for one another's independence. We've tried tandem kayaking and found it to be uncomfortable for both of us. having one's back to the one you're talking to or conversely having to talk to someones back, is the anthesis of togetherness. We found that each having his own kayak worked far better for us.
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

I bought a used Tarpon 130T so my youngest son could go with me. In some respects it was nice as he was too young to handle a yak by himself. Downside: it was a barge, even using as a solo yak, and casting can be an issue. I sold it as soon as he was big enough to handle a yak by himself. The offer that Lightening Kayaks is making for their new peddle drive is so good that it might be something to look at. Probably cheaper than any used peddle yak you would find.