Rod float

JW FunGuy

Rod float

Post by JW FunGuy »

I know this is a long shot but I thought I would ask. I had a senior/ mid-mid-mid life crisis moment and bought a rather expensive new fly reel and if I ever dropped it over board I would not come up until I found it! Has anyone found a float of some kind that works with fly rods and casting? I have tried leashes on spinning rods and didn’t like them because they always were in the way and I think a fly rod would be worse. But…
Thanks!
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Rod float

Post by bigfost »

It ain't pretty, but most of the BTB guys use a piece of pool noodle, or pipe insulation. Wrap it around the rod above the fore grip and use Velcro strips to secure.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

If you have any line out at all, you could probably locate the rod with the floating line unless the water is especially deep. Seems like any kind of float would automatically get in the way on a fly rod and reel combination. If it is any comfort, I’ve yet to lose a fly rod and reel overboard.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks y’all and those were all my thoughts as well. Except I hadn’t thought about the floating line aspect, except any time I have come close was after landing a fish and was wrestling around with it in the boat. I guess I will change my M.O. some, like being more careful! :shock: