HOT! TOPWATER Redfish Bite

OldTownYakBoi

HOT! TOPWATER Redfish Bite

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Wednesday evening was something spectacular, conditions were impeccable, maybe even too good. I had a hard time not hitting the surf and the rock groins along the seawall bc it looked so perfect, but since I would be running the beach the next day with a buddy I opted to go shallow. Temps were in the high 70’s, water low 80’s, winds were low 5mph out of the W, water was extremely clean, and we were days ahead of a New moon.

I launched around 530 and made my way to the marsh. The tide was outgoing which was perfect for the area I was going. On my way to the marsh I trolled a 51mr and picked up a dink trout. At the mouth of the lake I started see some fleeing shrimp so I opted to throw the Doa shrimp. I knew I was in some fish but for whatever reason I could not get any attention, which to me was strange since I was matching the hatch exactly. After 10 minutes throwing the Shrimp it just didn’t feel right, that’s when I tied on the lure I would have on the rest of the night, the boyo spook! As soon as I tied on the small topwater I started getting some blowups and before long I had my first fish, a rat red. I spent another 10 minutes in this area with a few more blow up’s before heading into the lake, towards the back.

I drifted the tide line from the mouth, to the back of the lake, throwing my topwater and hunting. The further in I got the more shrimp I found fleeing as well as some proper blow ups. As I approached the back shoreline of the lake I hooked up on my first fish, a nice 26incher, it’s safe to say he wanted it.
0375D52E-9C51-46A3-95BB-3766FC680458.jpeg
I threw this fish in the ice chest for dinner, it was the only one I kept. Afterwords I set up on the same shoreline and before long had another mid slot in the boat. That was all I got out of this little pocket, but I felt like I was putting a pattern together. I pushed out of the main lake into some back ponds and came across this guy hunting shrimp with his Redfish brothers.
B069A2EB-F316-4897-86BE-A975DBF6EBB9.jpeg
As I got to the back pods this is where the concentration of fish were, the water was boiling all around me and gave me plenty of targets to choose from. For the next hour I push poled myself around the marsh looking for boils and intercepting them with my trusty boyo spook.
6686A4D5-FB10-4B24-BE92-70C44E3490E9.jpeg
It’s hard to beat catching topwater reds in less than a foot of water. When it was all said and done I blasted 7 reds on top, 6 of which were slot, all in 2 hours. Definitely my best Top-water Redfish session to date. I have built a ton of confidence in this boyo spook lure for Redfish. This peanut presentation is perfect to not spook them but get their attention.

**Observations - At first I was stumped on why a perfect looking shrimp imitation wasn’t working when it was clear that’s what the fish were feeding on, and I was putting it in front of them… I came to the conclusion that although they were feeding on shrimp it wasn’t the “Look” that was drawing the strike, It was the action of a fleeing shrimp, which the small topwater mimicked perfect. All fish were caught in a foot or less of water.

This is why we fish
OldTownYakBoi

Re: HOT! TOPWATER Redfish Bite

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Enjoying Natures bounty
8A54402B-1908-431F-B42C-2C9C0D5BBDBA.jpeg
Boyo Spook Strikes again
55F0E07E-BE5E-4367-810C-0FA6F346176E.jpeg
Left em biting
5A7112DF-B68A-476F-9D05-7C400F69BBEB.jpeg
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great and exciting topwater Redfish action, Yak Boi. Hard to beat those frantic lure attacks in shallow water!

You scored on size and numbers. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

and a spoolbill photo.

Excellent results - at some point, it's paying your dues to be there, but it's also paying your dues enough to know what to do when you get there.

Topwaters always seem to have a window, usually light wind, morning is good, overcast or especially low-angle sun.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

The Spoonbill photo is bada$$! Topwater and shallow reds 😍
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks! Not much better than reds feeding on top!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:54 pm and a spoolbill photo.

Excellent results - at some point, it's paying your dues to be there, but it's also paying your dues enough to know what to do when you get there.

Topwaters always seem to have a window, usually light wind, morning is good, overcast or especially low-angle sun.
Thanks Ron, I agree with you about paying dues. I’ve definitely learned a lot over the last 3 seasons and it’s been a blast in the process. I would love to catch them on topwater all the time but I just try and take what Mother Nature give me
chicken...

Post by chicken... »

Nice ! ! !

Happy Fishin'
chicken... :wink: