Jones Lakes 26-Aug-2023. 3 Reds w/ a cherry on top

deptrai

Jones Lakes 26-Aug-2023. 3 Reds w/ a cherry on top

Post by deptrai »

Got another early start and was 2nd at the launch again this morning. As expected, the water level was higher than the tide prediction. From what I’ve been reading, this meant that the bait and fish would push back further into the marsh. I made my way through several of the lakes and bayous that connect them.
1.jpg
2.jpg
As usual, I had very little company. There were only 3 boats in this lake system and no kayaks. It’s 2 miles from the launch. The slop bowl is the same distance from Swan Lake ramp, but that place always seems overrun with kayaks. I like having whole lakes to myself.
3.jpg
In the first couple of hours all I managed was a short flounder that came undone before I could even grab the net. I never saw a Redfish jump or make a splash today. I never saw a Redfish back or tail sticking out of the water. I’ve come to the conclusion that the tails I have been seeing on my previous trips are from Black Drum. I did see several more of those today, but just kept peddling.

Close to 9:30 and it was like a switch was flipped. I picked a random stretch of grass line to parallel and started making casts. 9:29 and my first keeper of the day.
929.jpg
Last edited by deptrai on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deptrai

Re: Jones Lakes 26-Aug-2023. 3 Reds w/ a cherry on top

Post by deptrai »

9:45 the 2nd.
945.jpg
9:56 and I had my first ever limit of Red Drum.
956.jpg
I switched over to my flounder lure (not really, I used the same swim bait) and caught a 17.5" flounder on the next cast at 10:03. Four keepers in the span of 34 minutes!
1003.jpg
These Reds were mean. They all took me into the grass. Two of them got all wrapped up in it. I had to reach out and break off the grass with my hands to get untangled. I netted one of the Reds while my line was all wrapped in the stuff.
This small stretch of grass extended pretty far off of the bank. It had an area of clear water behind the grass that the fish were trying to get back to after being hooked.

I’ve finally found a line that works well for me. Varivas 8 PE1.5 with Daiwa 15# fluorocarbon leader. It casts really well with my favorite setup and holds up to these mean fish. I’ve tried a few of their lighter lines and spent a good bit of time picking backlashes out of my reel or just having my line snap while casting and losing a lot of gear and wasting a lot of time re-tying.

The Z-man products are incredibly durable. I’ve now caught over 15 fish on the same Diezel MinnowZ and it’s still looking good for the next trip.
fillet.jpg
Last edited by deptrai on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I came across what looked like floating eggs. Not sure what they were, but there were thousands of them.
eggs.jpg
Dave
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Sounds like a great trip. I am buried in work for the next week but hopefully will get some water time in soon.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the great report, Deptrai. Reports like yours used to be commonplace around here 10 years ago, but now, we are lucky to get maybe one a month. I am just as guilty, however. I am more and more going in my boat than in my yak, and when I am in my yak, it is usually a night trip and pictures seem to be a waste of time at night.

A couple of thoughts. Z-man lures are super durable, no question there. But, in case you don't know, don't store Zman with other lures - the other lures will melt. I have learned the hard way.

As for line, it is always great when you find a line that works. My favorite is FINS Windtamer in 20lb test with a 20 or 30 lb flouro leader. I prefer yellow Hi-vis, but to each his own. As for the leader, I have had great luck with any Seaguar grade. They have different ones (https://seaguar.com/collections/saltwater), but I have found that Seaguar Blue is just fine for saltwater
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for another excellent fishing report, Dave. Your prose & photos always make me wish I were there too.
Congratulations on your first redfish limit & that big flounder. I'd cook & eat that flounder before even messing w/ those slot Reds.
I second what Shoffer said about the lack of TKF fishing reports. Maybe this record heat has us all nested up in our air-conditioned cribs? If it weren't for you & Yak-Boi, we'd have little to read on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I did previously read that the Zman stuff doesn't play well with others. Even if you leave one on concrete or other surfaces, they tend to stick. I keep mine in the original package or tied to a hook on my rods.

I always used Seaguar fluorocarbon leader before coming to TX. Not sure why I changed after moving here. I still use Seaguar when I go home. Caught this beauty and five others on 30, 40, & 80 pound Seaguar Gold Label last month.
BF 90.jpg
The flounder has been eaten. Half of it was gone before I even finished cleaning the Reds. My wife is Korean and she loves her flounder sashimi.
I had half of one Red for dinner last night.
I lived in OR for 10 years prior to moving to TX and never did I have a less than full freezer. A little different here. :D

Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great day on the water - not sure how the tuna fits in.

Z-man uses a different plasticizer in their formulation than is used in other soft lures.
put them together with water, the two different plasticizer chemicals react, and the whole thing melts into a lump.
Need to keep your Z-man separate - best to keep them in a bag until you use them, and used lures should be kept in a separate box.