New Statewide Trout Regs - March 26th

Neumie
Site Admin

New Statewide Trout Regs - March 26th

Post by Neumie »

Just a reminder, starting Tuesday, March 26th new statewide trout regulations go into effect.

See SWfinatic comments below.
SWFinatic

Re: New Statewide Trout Regs - March 26th

Post by SWFinatic »

Yes sir it’s official now. I expect this rule to be temporary though. The commission is currently taking input regarding another proposed spotted sea trout rule change that would implement a tagging system for any trout over 30” similar to what we have with redfish. However if passed there will be no trout allowed to be retained over 20” until the tagging system can be implemented during the next licensing cycle starting September 1, 2024. Usually once the commission gets to the public comment stage it’s already a done deal. Not set in stone yet so we’ll have to watch it.

If anyone wants to comment the link is below to do so. Comment closed (I believe) at 5 pm Wednesday the 27th.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedbac ... rout.phtml
wittich

Post by wittich »

I am happy about this ruling. I hate seeing large trout being harvested as I have been on a mission to catch a 30 inch trout for a number of years now without success. I do not see a reason to harvest any fish over 30 inches. If you want a replica just take photographs and measurements.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Wanted to make pass along an update. The commission met during a work secession yesterday (3-27-24) and made a couple of modifications to the proposal on the table. One of the changes was changing the oversized limit from 30” to 28” minimum length. The second was removing the language regarding no oversized trout to be taken until a tagging system can be implemented on September 1, 2024. The commission met this morning, voted and passed the new regulations for spotted sea trout. They are as Neumie initially stated above with one exception. The oversized length will be changed from 30” to 28” minimum length. This ruling is expected to go into effect September 1, 2024. The current rule as described by Neumie will remain in effect until September 1.

Starting September 1, 2024 the only change will be the requirement of an oversized tag for any spotted sea trout retained over 28” with an option to purchase one additional bonus tag for $3 years er license year.

There is discussion about raising the fee for the oversized tag but that isn’t expected to happen this year.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am Wanted to make pass along an update. The commission met during a work secession yesterday (3-27-24) and made a couple of modifications to the proposal on the table. One of the changes was changing the oversized limit from 30” to 28” minimum length. The second was removing the language regarding no oversized trout to be taken until a tagging system can be implemented on September 1, 2024. The commission met this morning, voted and passed the new regulations for spotted sea trout. They are as Neumie initially stated above with one exception. The oversized length will be changed from 30” to 28” minimum length. This ruling is expected to go into effect September 1, 2024. The current rule as described by Neumie will remain in effect until September 1.

Starting September 1, 2024 the only change will be the requirement of an oversized tag for any spotted sea trout retained over 28” with an option to purchase one additional bonus tag for $3 years er license year.

There is discussion about raising the fee for the oversized tag but that isn’t expected to happen this year.
Do you have a source for this?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I watched the meeting on TPWD’s YouTube channel. I don’t have the link but it should be viewable on their website since they carried it live.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm I watched the meeting on TPWD’s YouTube channel. I don’t have the link but it should be viewable on their website since they carried it live.
Gotcha, found the link

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErxZWCVAfU
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Neumie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm I watched the meeting on TPWD’s YouTube channel. I don’t have the link but it should be viewable on their website since they carried it live.
Gotcha, found the link

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErxZWCVAfU
I’ll admit it’s a little confusing the way they discussed the options yesterday combined with today. They went back and forth on a couple of options.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Not at all pleased with the new regs.
5 trout 15-24" min and CPR any over 24" is a much more reasonable idea IMHO
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

As stated by TPWD at the Rockport meeting. Female Trout 12-20 inches produce the most and healthiest eggs to keep a sustainable fishery. The misinformation on the big girls producing all the eggs is a myth. This is easy to conclude when one thinks about it, but also just look at the provided graph below. There are simply not enough “big girls” and their eggs are not the most viable. Sooo we have a situation where the guides and trophy fishermen want more big trout to fulfill a personal ambition. They lobbied together to stop recreational fisherman from keeping the big ones so TPWD had to limit the actual producers (12-20). They are so scared of someone taking a trout over 20 inches, not because she lays better or more eggs, but only because she may (big maybe) reach trophy status. So we get stuck with a horrible slot and quantity so someone can hopefully get their PB? It is absolute nonsense.

Trout are not bass nor are they stream fish. This imaginary fishery and “save the trout” facade is exactly that…manufactured. A 30 inch trout is rare for so many other reasons besides recreational fisherman. But TPWD has a hard job and it’s easy to just decrease limits and still collect. There is also a problem with allowing too many schooling fish to exist and can stunt the big ones, it happens with walleye often. Just another poor decision based on lies and using a tragedy (storm URI) to further a personal agenda. It’s kinda shameful IMHO.
Attachments
IMG_4818.png
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Didn't know that about the breeders size. I feel better about the change now. Thanks for the heads up :mrgreen:
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

motoyak wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:12 pm Didn't know that about the breeders size. I feel better about the change now. Thanks for the heads up :mrgreen:
Yes, this is why after storm Uri they went to 17-23 and not lower. This will not help anyone catch a bigger trout but will hinder a potential angler from choosing to take home a memory and share it with their family. Nonetheless, Louisiana is looking a lot closer and Texas is getting a lot smaller.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

LOL!
Add another advantage to my weird quirk of catch and release. I don't have to worry about no stinkin' limits.

I haven't kept a spec I've landed for over twenty years.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

I've always thought a fresh lower slot spec was like a meal in the fanciest restaurant...

possession limits are rarely a problem for me :oops: Its interesting to hear y'all talk about the size of the trout. I still lean toward releasing big trout, but I love reading about this side of the fishery.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

junkyard chihuahua wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:50 pm
I've always thought a fresh lower slot spec was like a meal in the fanciest :( :( restaurant...

possession limits are rarely a problem for me :oops: Its interesting to hear y'all talk about the size of the trout. I still lean toward releasing big trout, but I love reading about this side of the fishery.
I wouldn’t fish if I didn’t expect to bring something home. I enjoy all aspects of fishing, but eating the fish I catch is the most rewarding part for my family. I couldn’t care less about trophy status and think it’s a crapshoot at best, unethical at worst.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Quite simply, there never was a myth that all trout eggs are laid by big females.

The math is simply the probability of catching females.

Below 16", odds are 50/50 of killing female trout.

Above 23", odds are greater than 95% of killing female trout.

17 to 23", odds are better than 90% that you're killing schoolie males.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Louisiana got it right.The tag (option) should be for any fish over 20 inches. Give the angler the opportunity to decide, not a few lobbied commissioners.