Planning a trip to Rockport Oct 2024.

WTyakfisher87

Planning a trip to Rockport Oct 2024.

Post by WTyakfisher87 »

It’s been so long since I have fly fished. What are some things I need to work on to target red fish and what the top go to flies to use?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Planning a trip to Rockport Oct 2024.

Post by Neumie »

Practice casting with wind, in all directions. If you have a spot with carp, I'd start carp fishing.

Flies, keep it simple.
Clouser: - Chartreuse/White for sure. Pink/White and Gray/White if you want variety.
Shrimp Gurgler or popper for topwater action
Redfish Crack
Merkin Crab

These four patterns will cover their three main forage; shrimp, shad, and crabs.
wittich

Post by wittich »

Are you going with a guide or Kayaking? I would prepare by casting to targets in your backyard or at a park.
If there is a water nearby that is even better. You will need to cast at least 30 feet to have a chance at catching a redfish.
The next thing you need to do is understand tides. The troutsupport videos are very good at explaining where fish move during high tide/ low tide situations. As far as flies go, I would make sure I had flies that covered different water columns. topwater such as gurgler, then a seaducer or gamechanger for mid water column and then a fly that sinks down to the bottom such as a clouser.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The last several years of red fishing found me using various sizes, colors, and weights of red fish crack flies. I was satisfied that my fair share of reds were landed...,and released.