*****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, June 29th, SATURDAY, 2024***** (((((UPDATES)))))

Yakety_Yak

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, June 29th, SATURDAY, 2024*****

Post by Yakety_Yak »

xmatador2000 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:40 pm Count me in! I have some experience fishing BTB near shore for bull reds and sharks and bought the additional gear for the trip last year but I couldn't make it after all. Water is shallow where I have fished so I typically drop an anchor to stay in one spot. Will I need an anchor for this trip?

My plan is to arrive on Friday and camp on the beach. I do have 4x4. I can't wait for this trip!

Thank you for organizing these trips,
Marco Lai
Got ya added. In regards to the anchor, you can bring an anchor if you would like. I definitely recommend an anchor if you are using a paddle kayak. Some people aren't used to the currents when paddling and get tired after a short time. So you don't drift off while taking a break, an anchor will keep you in one spot. Be sure to let others know you are anchored as they are approaching so they don't snag your anchor line. This way other kayakers can steer clear and continue to troll.

mhouse wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:40 pmI was reading up on how you should bleed your catch before putting them on ice and I wanted to see if anyone had a good way of doing this when you are fishing BTB in a kayak. You would think having blood all around in the water out there would put you in a dangerous situation with any tax men nearby.
I know some do this but I personally don't do it and my fish tasted just fine.
Poncoloco

Post by Poncoloco »

Just wondering if any of you might have an extra padel kayak that I can either borrow or rent for this trip, my better half wants to experience the BTB. First time being g out here.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

What are the maximum depths we'll be encountering?

Dave
APynckel

Post by APynckel »

deptrai wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:22 am What are the maximum depths we'll be encountering?

Dave
Shouldn't be more than 60 ft
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Alright guys, we are just about a week out, not much discussion on weather/surface conditions. This weekend would be an absolute mess with debris issues from the flooding. I've also read that there are copious amounts of tar balls now due to the storm. Tar balls are nasty, once they make contact with your world, they become a nuisance and spread by tracking from gear to gear and your feet.

Anyway, enough negativity, I think this could help some on the fishing front but not right away. I saw some talks about Jack Creval, boy I hope I don't find any myself. Yes they can be a bit of fighting-fun, but that's valuable time lost to land a King or SMACK which are 90% of the two species worth targeting offshore this time of year. I'd happily take home any of those. I smoke my King and make a King Fish Dip. Another great fish out there that's a bit more challenging to catch is the Cobia (ling) and boy that would be a gem of a catch, a prime eating gulf fish. But I don't think trolling for them with King Fish leaders/ribbon fish is very productive. Also trolling with rattle traps or diving stick baits don't work too well. The best ways to fish for them is to first site them if at all possible around rigs and cast to them. Free lining live bait is probably the #1 way, using a nice lively blue runner or big pin fish would be good. Another way is to cast large bucktail jigs at them if you see them. Finally, a few years back towards the end of July my son and I went out in our two Hobie AI's (first time BTB for him and he first SW fish) he caught a Mahi (32in) off a King Fish rig with ribbonfish.

Circling back around to helping the fishing front. These species come up from the lower Mexico gulf coast mainly following the Spanish sardine migration. But weather can influence the strength possibly, esp. when it comes to Mahi. Mahi can be caught June/July/Aug in the gulf waters off the coast of TX but generally much further out and generally later in summer the better. But if the storm surge helps with Mexico coast grass uplift drift closer to shore then there could be higher chances of Mahi. So if you ever come across a large grass float circle around it a few times (obviously not right through it) and see what it might be harboring? This being said, certainly not this weekend and in my opining next weekend.

I'll try to post a video showing some gear later. A lot of talk about what gear etc. You really don't need super heavy gear, unless you are trying to haul a 40+lb Cobia off a rig. So if you are in the open trolling for King, just be sure your drag is set fine. You can catch a 50in King on 30lb main line braid and a relatively small rod/reel if you fight them right and have your topshot to main tied right and King leader made of malin wire done right.

Cheers,
Roy
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

I don’t see how this upcoming weekend is possible, there is a coastal flood advisory currently and another system forming in the bay of Campeche/ Yucatán Peninsula right now with a similar track prediction as the last…..

However the 1st day of fishing in Costa Rica has been an awesome yellowfin box filler….
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

How does one store these wire leaders? I made several and don't want to ruin them or get hooked by them. Can they be coiled up and put into gallon Ziploc bags?

Dave
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

You can store them in a soft worm bag
JayOnTheBay

Post by JayOnTheBay »

Worm binder bags work great for storing rigs and leaders.

The latest I'd heard was that whatever system spins up after Alberto shouldn't really affect Texas much due to being a much weaker system. Maybe I'm just being hopeful. If the weather doesn't cooperate I may still go inshore since I booked an RV site and planned on the weekend

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

niswanger

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, June 29th, SATURDAY, 2024***** (((((UPDATES)))))

Post by niswanger »

Some questions about rod/reels/line/terminal tackle (storage), so here you go, as what I would call myself a mid-career BTB'er, I ramble on these topics for 30 mins.

One correction: I have two AI's not TI's
Couple of additions: Two rods are 7' and one 6.5'. The 7' helps a lot with maneuvering terminal tackle in/around the kayak, esp. an AI with outriggers. But with a trade off of being taller is that it's in the way some more too. 6.5' is a good length.

In case the embed below doesn't work: https://youtu.be/NUvt6zI72qE?si=UvPUExpFAnvucDt7

JayOnTheBay

Post by JayOnTheBay »

niswanger wrote:Some questions about rod/reels/line/terminal tackle (storage), so here you go, as what I would call myself a mid-career BTB'er, I ramble on these topics for 30 mins.

One correction: I have two AI's not TI's
Couple of additions: Two rods are 7' and one 6.5'. The 7' helps a lot with maneuvering terminal tackle in/around the kayak, esp. an AI with outriggers. But with a trade off of being taller is that it's in the way some more too. 6.5' is a good length.

In case the embed below doesn't work: https://youtu.be/NUvt6zI72qE?si=UvPUExpFAnvucDt7

Interesting video with a lot of good info, thanks. I know it's not looking favorable for this weekend but still holding onto hope that that changes. The following week is 4th of July insanity and then between work and hurricane season I might not make it any other dates.

niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Well, Blake will update later, but gotta say it's not shaping up for BTB for this group and really even seasoned BTB folk. 3-4 surf, 4.5 swell, 6s interval, better take some Bonine or have a patch LOL.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

niswanger wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:26 am Well, Blake will update later, but gotta say it's not shaping up for BTB for this group and really even seasoned BTB folk. 3-4 surf, 4.5 swell, 6s interval, better take some Bonine or have a patch LOL.
With that low heading towards the gulf it could be a lot worse by the time Saturday comes. Safe to say it won’t be 1 to 2’s.
JayOnTheBay

Post by JayOnTheBay »

We won't be going BTB but my dad and I are still gonna be in Corpus and going inshore fishing in the morning if anyone is around and wants to meet up

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

JayOnTheBay wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:10 pm We won't be going BTB but my dad and I are still gonna be in Corpus and going inshore fishing in the morning if anyone is around and wants to meet up

Winds are likely going to be steady at 15 gusting to 25 in the morning and throughout the day. Y’all be safe.
JayOnTheBay

Post by JayOnTheBay »

SWFinatic wrote:
JayOnTheBay wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:10 pm We won't be going BTB but my dad and I are still gonna be in Corpus and going inshore fishing in the morning if anyone is around and wants to meet up

Winds are likely going to be steady at 15 gusting to 25 in the morning and throughout the day. Y’all be safe.
Went down to Bird Island later in the morning. It was windy but manageable. Lots of grass though and got skunked. Still nice to get out

Poncoloco

Post by Poncoloco »

Glad that you were able to get on the water. I fished Friday and Saturday at Christi Bay. Lots of 10-13 reds, decent black drums size.
Any luck on the Bird Island?
JayOnTheBay

Post by JayOnTheBay »

Poncoloco wrote:Glad that you were able to get on the water. I fished Friday and Saturday at Christi Bay. Lots of 10-13 reds, decent black drums size.
Any luck on the Bird Island?
Nope, no luck on live shrimp, cut mullet or artificials. I wasn't expecting much with the wind though

Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

I'm going!
Roger Barnaby, Corpus Christi
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

When's the next update? Today and next few days look decent to me (MSW/Surfline @BobHall)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I just made an update. See the beginning of this thread.
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

I can’t go this weekend unfortunately.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Humm...Fri will be iffy for me, but I could probably make Sat work. Unfortunately my son and his AI probably won't make it.
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

I'm interested in going. My name is Travis I've been kayaking almost 20 years. I have tried to go in the past but didn't keep up with the thread for updates. I've got some experience but would still consider myself newish to btb. I've got most the gear, but need to make some rigs for the king fish and I'm going to make a Hawaiian spear gaff from some hard wood from a crepe myrtle tree and a 8" aluminum gutter nail. I'm going to drill into the wood and then hammer the nail in with some glue and cut off the end to a sharp point and then wrap the end of the wood with duct tape for added strength. Any chance we will get on some red snapper?
savoltage

Post by savoltage »

Should be able to make Saturday! Fingers crossed. Finally get to try out BTB.