Suggestions for future EEF tourneys.

Minnow
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Minnow »

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Norm- tell them how much fun you had this past weekend please.

Minnow
Last edited by Minnow on Tue May 24, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

Keep em coming guys. We love the suggestions. There are some good ideas here.
We love kids too, however bringing in a kids division puts an enormous amount of liability on us. I am not unopposed to a father/son mother/daughter, etc. type of event, we just need to figure out how to do it properly.

As to the Pro/Am thing. I see that there are some in favor of it, but it looks like the majority likes the format the way it is. It works well and it's fun and adds excitement.
Like most have said who are in favor of leaving it the way it is, it's about that 1 fish. We have had ladies, amatuers (in every sense of the word), pros, weekend fisherman; virtually all kinds of anglers, win.

Team Margarita took the top two flounder categories
Team Katchemol & Karankawa took the top 2 reds
Phil from W and Team Sidewinders took the top 2 trout (I have seen Phil fish, he's not a pro)

Slams were won by Fishman from Team TKF & a first time tourney attendant from Bryan, TX

These are anyone's tournaments. Heck, if I was still fishing them, I might even have a chance at winning. Well, let's not go overboard.
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Could we bring back the "Other" category? Even if the prize was just something silly, it'd still be fun.

I think it's cool that some folks can catch strange fish. I guess Smartcast Pete's 7 foot alligator gar might have won the "Other" category if we still had it.

Mrs. B
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kingwood Kayaker »

BENNY wrote:Phil from W and Team Sidewinders took the top 2 trout (I have seen Phil fish, he's not a pro)

LOL - Thanks Benny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

I appreciate your attitude Benny. I love the tournament the way it is, but I still have opinions. If they took away my opinions of instant replay in football or how to make the Texans or Rockets better (the Astros are a lost cause) then it wouldn't be near the fun it is.

Ray
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

Smartcast Pete's Alligator gar would have eaten the "other" category :shock:
Kemah Kid

Post by Kemah Kid »

TKFers,
I dont understand what all the hoopla is about? you guys and gals are making a big stink about having guides on the teams. Whether or not the guides are on teams or not most of the time guides take clients out to fish they dont travel by yak they use boats, so when the tourney come to play It levels the playing field. Take a look at the galveston tourn. how many guides/pro's won the prizes compared to just competition anglers. once the wind came from the west and trashed the water everybody got put in the same pot and had to use their head and try to find protected water.now, just because we have made a name for ourselves it wasnt given to us we had to get out there and work for it we had to fish,fish,and fish more. alot of hard work goes into knowing where the fish are going to be. studing maps for protected shorelines. Hell, me and fishman didnot go to sleep until 3 am on tourn night because we were trying to deside where to go to be protected from the west wind and we ended up at roll over pass fighting one of the most dangerous rip tides Ive ever seen!!!!! So to say it is at a unfair advantage is not right. I think others just need to want it as bad as us and thrive to go get it!!!!!

KEMAH KID
TEAM TKF
GaryZ

Post by GaryZ »

1-As mentioned in previous post the kayak fishing community is still too small for a pro division. 100 amateur fisherman & 2-4 Pro’s. Not much of a division.
2-The past history of the EEF tournament shows that the amateurs continue to win nearly all the individual awards. As a PACK team member, our day will come to get a team award. Pro’s? We don’t need no stinkin Pro’s! :lol:
3-I don’t think a kid’s division is right for this sport, how many Bass tournaments have kid divisions?
4-I like Shane’s idea on closer weigh in places to drop off the camera’s. I’ve broken the sound barrier twice trying to get back to FTU. We talk about safety on the water we need to make the tournament safe on the ground as well.
5-I don’t want to limit put in points, just those accessible from private property. Weather & wind play such a big part in where we can fish.
6-The catch, click & release with the ruler works great, don’t change.
7-I’ve enjoyed every tournament so far win or lose. Great job EEF!
Johnster

Post by Johnster »

Had to pipe up after reading all the thread.

In my opinion, there are far too few "pro's" to worry about making a different division. People claim they give the Teams a better advantage too. Well I have to mention that Paddle-fishing.com, last years Team winners are all amatures.

We won, because we worked, we prepared and we got lucky. That is all it takes folks.

We even managed to come to Texas, a place none of us had even seen before, let alone fish, and we left with Woody.

I agree with the other comments about fishing against the best and raising your game, and trying to lower the bar. It's a tournament, it's competition, it's about putting yourself and your skill up against the other competitors, its not a fish-in.

If you're prepared to put in as much effort as you possibly can, you will get your just rewards, especially if your luck holds.

This is a big fish tourney, without doubt the most "luck" orientated format there is. Last year we had a guy from the UK fish with us in Tampa, he had never fished Saltwater, lures or from a kayak in his life. He caught the biggest Snook for our team, I had fished that school of Snook for 20 minutes and caught 3 all about 23", I lost a much bigger fish and they spooked out. I called Ray over pointed out the spot, told him to give it 10 minutes and try for a Snook, first cast he pops a 26" and was only just beat out for 3rd place.

I agree that the EEF may need some tweaking, but right now its the closest thing this sport has to a bona fide tournament series.

Our team is not making the trip over to Texas this year, but you bet we will be competing hard in Florida.

Lets all try to remember to have fun, take your glory and ride the punches, it's only fishing after all.

As for the kids division, i like the idea, but can see where possibility of liability would be extremely high.

We'll see you in Sarasota come July, let's fish and have some fun.

John
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

Geez. Look what I started. I wish I hadn't wrote that first post. :roll:
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

You started some good conversation PH. Nothing wrong here. Like Benny said, some good points have been made and some questions answered. It's all good. :wink:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

No Parrot Head, you just got some of us thinking of better ways. In the end it is up to Rick Roberts and Co. I think they do a good job.
Johnster

Post by Johnster »

Sorry PH, no offence meant by me.

As i said its just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are worth :wink:
Mack

Ban Scott and Dean

Post by Mack »

The simplest solution would be to ban Scott and Dean. For that matter make them move to another state.

:shock:

Just kidding, I like fishing against the pros. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I have a solution for all of this....

1. Add a kid's division and they must fish with one of their parents. I started fishing bass club tourneys when I was 11. We were lucky if 3 of us were at a tourney. But as a kid it meant a lot to me to win a tourament and to see how I measured up to the men and women. It has a lot ot do with why I am so headstrong about making these tournaments work. I love fishing tourneys. Take one rod & reel out of teh raffle and award teh biggest fish of any species to a kid who fished with his parent!!!!!!!

2. Make it a Pro/Am but not in teh sense most of you are thinking. Follow me on this one.....

Pro - 2 man teams that must fish together. They turn in their 3 best fish per species. They enter teh tourney as a pro team and they pay $75 each for the first species. So you can enter and fish just for redfish!! $50 for each species after that, trout, flounder, etc. All of the money for the Pro division per species goes to a pay-out for 1-3 places. They get no raffle tickets or prizes. they get teh money from teh Pro division only. If wanna fish for the cash, sign up with a buddy in the pro division.

Amatuer - The exact same format as it now. Big Fish. Prizes for winners.

As far as individual points and a team of the year award, just better define/refine the current rules to accomodate the newly sponsored teams. IE, for Team competition, Team W would have maybe 1 redfish team, 1 flounder team, 1 trout team, and 1 snook or another trout team. Or tehy may all join in teh redfish, trout, flounder, and snook contests. Take best 3 fish by inches for each species from their entered members. Then award the team winners based on their inches per tourney for all species. This gives the bigger teams incentive to enter each category. And to catch 3 good fish in each category.

I also think it should be a shotgun start at 5AM and no limit on distance. It is your own strategy as to how far a go then. This also does away with the temptation to cheat by starting early. And teh current limits are impossible to enforce anyway. Why not remove that element completely?

Make the tournament all digital or angler-delvelopes-his-own prior to weigh in. We did that teh Austin EEF and it worked just fine. Make the weigh in at 7:00. It doesn't take that long to process the results if you have all the pics. Then have the dinner and raffle while teh results are finalized when its cooler. Then contestants have teh option to finish early and rest & refresh before teh weigh-in or fish late to complete their competition. Either way they don't to be at teh weigh-in site at 2 different times. Just once.

Having fished a lot of tournaments in my life, I can tell you that people do have different reasons for competing. As said above, one is for competition and one is for socializing with other anglers. This tournament has support from sponsors already. If they took this approach, I believe the numbers would increase a great deal. And I think both the Pro and the AM would have plenty of numbers. I also think that the sponsors would see the benefit and continue to help the sport grow. The serious guys can fish for the money and the social angler still has a fun competition too.

my long winded .02
i'm off my soapbox now...
mike
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by mike »

Some good ideas GoinCoastal. My son fishes a bass series, mostly 12 to 19 year olds, been as few as 3 teams, as many as 12. In fact, his tournaments have coincided with the EEF tournaments so far this year.

When we were younger you saw baseball games on vacant lots all summer, then that went away. Blame it on tv, video games, computer, whatever the reason it just isn't done like it once was. And we fished all the time. It is nice to see even a few in this small town commit to fishing 6 events on weekends, they even practice fish. Some have had to buy second hand jon boats. Maybe someone will add something like you propose. After all, they spend money (theirs or ours!!) just like grown-ups, and will be customers for many many more years than we will. It is good exposure for them too.

Anyway, you have some good thoughts.

Post by Guest »

LiverDog wrote:Dumas Mike and ParrotHead. Why dont you guys put up the jingle and create your own tournament. I would fish in it. Show everyone how to do it right if you can. LOL
LD

I'm game if Mike and PH are game :D

I'm thinking mid-August. Weigh-in station at the 4wd sign on pins. You can fish the bhp rig, the cut, the Y, bird island, shamrock, lhl, wherever. I like the shotgun-start idea a lot (and NO practice fishing 72 hours prior to). Weigh in at 5PM (you provide digital image or prints, we will provide yardsticks). But keep a few for dinner because the fish fry will start at 7PM.

I'll provide generator, laptop, and keg of beer... who's in :D
snookdude
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: RGV-Edinburg, TX. Puro Pinche Bobcats! Now in Pearland TX. Home of the fighting pears.

Post by snookdude »

Dude and Dudettes, I have read this thread and I am laughing. Scott Null a pro? Do you all realize that he has a REAL JOB. Don't get upset because the guy takes his fishing to the next level. If you have fished with him you'll know what I am talking about. The guy doesn't eat at all no munchies? Dude, everytime I fish with him I lose weight. Why do you all think Dean is so skinny! I just hope I don't end up looking like Dean. Come on you all there are a lot of folks out there that fish more than Scott, myself and other guides. It's all about the effort and the ganas (want).

In conclusion the tournament is over, some of us had fun and maybe had to much to drink, but it's over. Let's get on to bigger and better things and enjoy fishing and life.
moto kayak

ITS JUST FOR FUN

Post by moto kayak »

ok i just have to reply i know the convicted so called pros and all that i have to say is if this is so un fair and the odds are stacked against you then do go and stop all the crying if you want to make it better thats cool but but stop crying its just a game u know game friendly competion geez i would hate to play a board game with some of you excuse always go hand in hand with the people that lost

Post by Guest »

snookdude wrote:some of us had fun and maybe had to much to drink, but it's over.

Are there some stories you would like to share with us :?: :D
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

i don't want to have to fish against the pros.

let's be fair now!
ruthless

Post by ruthless »

I fly from Virginia to fish in the EEF tournaments, even if I did win one, I would just break even. I enjoy the time i spend with everyone and on the water, that makes it worth it. I am about as profesional as a kindergardner, but ill fish aganst anyone. Thats all I have to say! :twisted:
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Parrothead wrote:Geez. Look what I started. I wish I hadn't wrote that first post. :roll:

Nah, man! It's stuff like this that makes us think "outside of the yak!"

This is just brainstorming. It's all good. Maybe none of the ideas will be incorporated into future EEF tournaments, or maybe one or two really thought-provoking ideas will make the cut. Who knows?!

I think that having a great time at the EEF tournament stimulates our thinking and brings up a lot of "what if" questions. I'm just glad we have a place to think out loud.

Mrs. B
Mack

Don't Confuse Yourself With...........

Post by Mack »

snookdude wrote: Come on you all there are a lot of folks out there that fish more than Scott, myself and other guides.

Actually Ruben no one was confusing you with being a guide other than possibly in the snack section at Krogers.
Mack

Face it.............

Post by Mack »

slowride wrote:i don't want to have to fish against the pros.

let's be fair now!

Uh Dean, Scott's the one we're worried about in the tournaments.