NFP- Intro Post

bcompton103

NFP- Intro Post

Post by bcompton103 »

New found paddler here, and wanted to get my intro out of the way. Landed an unknown year of the Cobra Play off of FB Marketplace that kept me from over spending. Needs just two repairs that are nothing major, and for me to figure out why the hatch won't open. I can get the handle to turn maybe 3/4 of the way and I hear at least one or two of the latches unlocking but it won't move the rest of the way and fully unlatch.

Already got a PFD, paddle, some leashes, an anchor with rope, and ordered a seat that should be arriving in the next 2 to 3 days. Have ridden kayaks plenty of times before, just never fished from one. Found this one as a budget intro into kayak fishing. Read what reviews I could find online prior and these are or at least were decent kayaks in their days of production.

I will be mostly fishing marshes in and around Galveston Bay. Going to have to adjust to using lures and artificial over my preferred live shrimp to reduce weight and keep space open. Very excited to take it out possibly this weekend just to get used to flipping it but won't be fishing it for probably till late September when cooler temps arrive. I'll miss a lot of the speckle trouts, but will be getting geared and ready for the reds by then.

Been following a few locals on YouTube for their advice, and a few FB groups including the one for TKF. If any of you would like to share some pointers, I would be glad to hear them.

TIA and tight lines!
cobra play.pdf
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: NFP- Intro Post

Post by Neumie »

Welcome, TKF.

Back when I go into kayak fishing 20+ years ago I spent a lot of time in the Navigator and Explorer. Very lightweight and solid, entry level platform. The initial stability is pretty good, but once you get past a certain point you will flip it. I was able to stand and fish from them, but I was also 20 years younger and 30 lbs lighter than I am today; so probably not feasible.

Click here to find the year it was manufactured, it should be stamped near the stern.

I think you are on the right path. Get out and paddle around with it without too much extra gear.

For live shrimp you can make a DIY Bait Tube like this: Click. I would add a oval float (cut in half) to the front to make it more streamline.
bcompton103

Re: NFP- Intro Post

Post by bcompton103 »

Appreciate that information. Especially the bait tube because I was trying to figure out a way with the bait bucket but that is a way more simplified method. Regarding the cut float, you do mean to add it to the front of the bait tube, right?