Paddles

Chops

Paddles

Post by Chops »

I am a newby to the sport. I have a house down on Turtle Bay where i have fishing most of my life. About a year ago we sold our boat due to $$$ after $$$ put into rottin deck and brocken stringers. The aggrivation is too much. Kayaking just makes since. Looking to purchase a T160i, just waiting for this spring when the money tree in the back yard starts budding. The question i have had a problem getting a answer too is what paddle should i buy. Looked at the werners and would buy a mid-tour if i could find one. Camano maybe a little costly. What are ya'lls opinions.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I really, really like my Onno. I got a full tour, carbon signature. Weighs 20 ounces. 1 piece paddle runs $185, 2 piece is $235.

http://eteamz.active.com/paddleshop/news/index.cfm

One thing to add - the owner, Patrick will not make your paddle without talking to you about what you want and how you'll use it. However, he is not the easiest guy to get ahold of and it make take a few calls to actually catch him. Well worth the extra effort in my opinion.
H-D
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by H-D »

I second the ONNO. I also have a carbon full tour 1 piece. I love it.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

AT paddles rock!

http://www.atpaddle.com/products/tourin ... teway.html

So far the only Texas dealers are FTU and Jerryb's.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

One that helps you move :wink:
cacciato71

Post by cacciato71 »

I agree with the one that helps you move, but don't go the cheap route. The higher end paddles are a lot lighter and last longer. I bought a used yak recently for my wofe and the guy through in a one piece cheap paddle. It will get you where you want to go, but you will definitely get a work out. I'll give you that if you want it. I'm all for a work out, but I'd rather get it fight'in fish. I spent 90 on a carlisle and love it.
Chops

Post by Chops »

also i am worried. Do the fiberglass and carbon paddles hold up to the oyster abuse. I have never been out on the bay in a yak, so not really sure if this is a problem but deffinately seems that way.
harv418
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by harv418 »

I have used a Harmony Cheapie, A Carlisle RS MAGIC 2 that came with my 140, and a Werner Camano.

The Harmony worked, but was like paddling with a 2x4. The Carlise I still have and still use from time to time. It has seen 3 years of solid use.

I used the Werner last year, and I am convinced that high end is the only way to go. It has stood up to everything I have thrown at it, and I aint nice...

Carlisle is coming out with a Carbon that should be priced right around the ONNO. Cant speak for the AT paddles, but can vouch for the Werner. I have also gotten to paddle a Whetstone, but I believe they have gone out of business.

For what we do I would not suggest getting a true touring blade. We want something a little bigger. that Mid touring blade from Werner is great, and is exactly what I am ordering from Carlisle as well.
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Yea, what the others have said. I have an OnnO Signiture, Full tour blade, 2-piece, extra heavy duty blade tips, @25.6 oz., $220 The Full blades really grab the water better than the mid blades I have used Also, there is NO blade flutter with the OnnO. That makes a diffrence after 4-5 miles when you are really worn out - you don't have to fight the paddle every stroke.

With a longer, faster boat like the T160i, you should really get a nice light paddle. You will be moving faster, and needing a faster cadentence woth the paddle, just to keep up. having a 20-25oz paddle will save you a lot of energy over a 40oz paddle.

My .02
Jerry
snookdude
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: RGV-Edinburg, TX. Puro Pinche Bobcats! Now in Pearland TX. Home of the fighting pears.

Post by snookdude »

Come by FTU and check out the AT paddles. They Rock!!!!!
GutWrench

Post by GutWrench »

This is what I got with my new yak http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/skagit.html
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Chops wrote:also i am worried. Do the fiberglass and carbon paddles hold up to the oyster abuse. I have never been out on the bay in a yak, so not really sure if this is a problem but deffinately seems that way.

I have had no problems with my carbon signature ONNO on the oysters. If you go that route, mention it to Patrick. He has added a little extra material to the tips. I decided not to do that because I didn't want the extra weight. He does a demo with his paddles where he pushes himself on a skateboard along the concrete. These paddles are pretty tough.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I stand and use my all-carbon paddle as a pushpole. After several months of use the tips are fine. Foul-hooked just bought one of my old carbon paddles that had many hours of serious abuse. Cleaned it up for him and it almost looked new. This material is much stronger and more durable than it looks.
ragincajun

Post by ragincajun »

Werner Kalliste it is pricey but after a long day on the water it makes all the difference in the world.
Crank-B8
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crank-B8 »

First... let me start off by saying that only a couple weeks ago I was one of the many that always thought spending several hundred dollars on a paddle was downright crazy. :shock: Then I used an AT and I saw the light! 8)

I picked the paddles up in the stores, twirled them around, did mock paddlestrokes and all that good stuff and in my head I kept saying "C'mon... is it really worth it?" It wasn't until I actually used one on the water that I was convinced.

I've been using the AT Ergo Tour T4 E and it's a dream (and it's not even the best model AT makes!). The first thing you notice is the weight. I'll keep it simple and say it's extremely light. The next thing I noticed was the design of the shaft. We're not talk about a standard circular shaft. The best was I can think to describe the shaft is "wedge shaped." The shaft is shaped so that your fingers wrap around it with ease. It's much more natural than just a standard round shaft.

I could go on and on about this paddle but my point is -- although some of the prices seem outrageous on the higher end paddles, once you use them on the water you realize they're definitely worth it. If you're ever down around the south side of Houston and want to try out my AT don't hesitate to ask. I live about 5 minutes from FTU -- with a big lake right off my back porch.

Jason
TROUT

Post by TROUT »

i've got a used (6 months old) Werner Carbon Camano 230cm weights in at 24oz. I'd sell it for $250
Tanner @ SWPS
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

AT paddles rule. if you book a trip at slowride guide services you will be paddling with an Xception SL.

http://www.atpaddle.com/products/tourin ... arbon.html

and what jason said.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Check out the new rotating ad for AT paddles at the top of the saltwater board. Now an official sponsor of TKF. 8)
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

what scott said.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

I use 100% Werners for me and my clients. That Werner carbon mentioned above is a great paddle and buy at that price. I think it runs around $330. Very light paddle and has passed the oyster test with flying colors.

The Onnos wpould be a good choice but the inconsistant communication is what most people have to battle.